Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone Registration Unlawful for Model Aircraft

Well done John Taylor. The story is also being run in sUAS News. That the AMA elected not to support him says much about the political side of the AMA. It's clear the AMA is primarily concerned about the AMA, and not the modeling membership.

One concern or tidbit I will be watching is in a related article, back in 2015... "AMA Tells Members Not To Register..." Specifically this quote disputing the definition of aircraft:

"The AMA Council says that it is considering both legal and political remedies: in August, the AMA filed a petition before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia requesting the court to review the FAA’s interpretation of the “Special Rule for Model Aircraft.” Since the FAA’s response to questions of the validity of the new registration program is their repeated insistence that model aircraft (and drones) are aircraft, which must be registered; the AMA is asking the Court’s immediate attention to the AMA petition, which disputes the definition of model aircraft as aircraft."

I may not be as educated as I need to be on the issue, but on the surface I do not want the classification of "aircraft" removed from our ships. That would open up a lot more doors for those who want to "shoot 'em down" but are met with the 'it is illegal to shoot down an aircraft" argument.

'nuf said?

Jeff

There are certainly pros and cons to the aircraft classification. I also would not like to see them re-defined as something other than aircraft. When we consider that any way we try to define them, they are remotely piloted aerial vehicles they easily fit the description of "aircraft". Since small multirotors came before the attempts of the aircraft industry to make larger versions it's difficult at best to suggest our multirotors are "models" since they are in and of themselves full scale versions of original design.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Yeah, read that. I guess I'm kind of torn on this one. From the "I don't want the federal government telling me what to do camp" I get it. In fact all of my model planes and helis, were/are considered UASs and therefore subject to the FAA guidelines, not just drones. Makes sense but on another level it sort of bugged me that it included my model planes and helis. Back in the day a lot of people out of a sense of civil duty would join gun clubs, or the AMA (Association of Model Aeronautics) and get guidance and training in the proper use of their hobby, then go forth as ambassadors of said hobby serving as a mature example to others. Kind of a nice civil way to self regulate. Also, back in the day it actually took skill to fly or shoot so not everyone did it. Drones today are essentially flying computers and don't really require any skill to speak of so it's sort of a free for all. Also, (don't everyone take offense, you know who you are, so be honest) as very few of us anymore have a sense of civil duty or responsibility to either learn, join a club, or get guidance of some kind before venturing out. There is sort of a just do it, entitlement mentality. I guess I sort of agree that the FAA should have a registration process given the culture and climate of today. The thing about laws and regulations is that they make civilization possible. I for one kind of like living in a civilized society or at least the appearance of one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss