Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drone tracking and 2G shutdown

Reaction score
Now that I have a Q5004K and a Typhoon 'H', being able to find them if something goes awry is a concern to me. Investigating tracking devices I've found that many of the less expensive units rely on GPS and the older 2G cellular network. Hearing back in the early stages of this century that the 2G cellular service has been ear marked to be disabled in what is now the near future I was concerned that a tracking device used on this service would become obsolete very quickly.

I found this article that was posted in March of 2016 that mainly detail AT&T's plans for shut down of the 2G service and then at the end of the article details the other major carriers plans.

The shutdown of 2G cellular service

Basically the article points out that AT&T will be stopping 2G in the beginning of 2017.

Other Carrier Shutdown Plans

AT&T isn't the only carrier looking to phase out older technology to make more room for LTE expansion.

Here is the latest on what the other carriers have planned:

• Verizon: Verizon has a rough target of 2021 for a final shutdown of its 2G and 3G networks, after which point Verizon's network will be 100% LTE. But Verizon has already begun the transition, in many areas having drastically cut back 3G capacity to devote more resources towards LTE. If you are still using a Verizon 3G device, it will only get slower over time. Verizon's 2G CDMA network will likely outlive its 3G network in many areas, because CDMA is needed for voice calls on all phones that are not VoLTE compatible.
  • T-Mobile: T-Mobile's 2G technology supports a lot of hard-to-upgrade systems, such as home security alarms, car trackers, and even vending machines. To keep supporting these types of customers, T-Mobile has announced that it has no plans to shut down its 2G EDGE network anytime soon - no earlier than 2020. T-Mobile has however transitioned a lot of its 2G capacity and much of its original "4G" HSPA+ network to LTE, and will continue to do so.
  • Sprint: Sprint shut down its 4G WiMax network last November, but has indicated that it plans to keep its older 2G and 3G networks around "for the long haul", with no sunset date as yet even hinted at.

It is a bit longer to do, but you can track your last/current location by connecting your ST16 to your PC and paste Latitude/Longitude to Google Maps and it will even show it's location in Satellite View! I tried it, it works , I even see it's location in China Factory in my Logs from when it was built and tested in China!;)
SEE BELOW:

Reactions: Milt
Now that I have a Q5004K and a Typhoon 'H', being able to find them if something goes awry is a concern to me. Investigating tracking devices I've found that many of the less expensive units rely on GPS and the older 2G cellular network. Hearing back in the early stages of this century that the 2G cellular service has been ear marked to be disabled in what is now the near future I was concerned that a tracking device used on this service would become obsolete very quickly.

I found this article that was posted in March of 2016 that mainly detail AT&T's plans for shut down of the 2G service and then at the end of the article details the other major carriers plans.

The shutdown of 2G cellular service

Basically the article points out that AT&T will be stopping 2G in the beginning of 2017.

Other Carrier Shutdown Plans

AT&T isn't the only carrier looking to phase out older technology to make more room for LTE expansion.

Here is the latest on what the other carriers have planned:

• Verizon: Verizon has a rough target of 2021 for a final shutdown of its 2G and 3G networks, after which point Verizon's network will be 100% LTE. But Verizon has already begun the transition, in many areas having drastically cut back 3G capacity to devote more resources towards LTE. If you are still using a Verizon 3G device, it will only get slower over time. Verizon's 2G CDMA network will likely outlive its 3G network in many areas, because CDMA is needed for voice calls on all phones that are not VoLTE compatible.
  • T-Mobile: T-Mobile's 2G technology supports a lot of hard-to-upgrade systems, such as home security alarms, car trackers, and even vending machines. To keep supporting these types of customers, T-Mobile has announced that it has no plans to shut down its 2G EDGE network anytime soon - no earlier than 2020. T-Mobile has however transitioned a lot of its 2G capacity and much of its original "4G" HSPA+ network to LTE, and will continue to do so.
  • Sprint: Sprint shut down its 4G WiMax network last November, but has indicated that it plans to keep its older 2G and 3G networks around "for the long haul", with no sunset date as yet even hinted at.
I have the Marco Polo tracking device, and I tested it out to about 1/2 mile, check on YouTube and you will see how well it works.
That is what sold me.. Now, I placed it at a location in the woods and drove back to my flying area, turned the tracker on and
It took a few sec, and found my tag, I walked back following the arrow and when it got to 99% I could see it, of course
I knew where it was anyway, I turned away and started to walk 90 degrees to the right and the arrow immediately
pointed directly back to the drone. So I know it works, They say works up to 2 miles. Check it out.
Here is a picture of where I placed it on my Typhoon H. It will still slide into the case, if you place it on the top side of
landing gear near, it will go into the case but when you raise the landing gear it will not go up all the way on that side.
hope this helps.. Just remember to turn on the Tag before you fire up the H.

Attachments

• P6180066.JPG
    P6180066.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
2G was already supposed to be shut down but the carriers kept extending it. There are 3G trackers available, look into one of those.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval