Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones as Airline Baggage

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I spent a fascinating day at the UK Drone Show last Sunday (3/12/16) choosing – I hope – my first serious drone, to follow on from the cheap and cheerful Syma that I’m training myself on at present. I went thinking that I would probably opt for a Phantom 4, but came away within a whisker of ordering a Typhoon H. Given that I intend to take it to France via Easyjet next year, I was advised to check that there would not be a problem with the batteries. Potentially however there is. On Easyjet’s ‘Dangerous Goods’ page they stipulate a maximum of 12 volts, but I see that Typhoon batteries are 14.2. Does anyone have any experience in this area ? Is this restriction actually enforced in the real world ? Thanks.

... Given that I intend to take it to France via Easyjet next year, I was advised to check that there would not be a problem with the batteries. Potentially however there is. On Easyjet’s ‘Dangerous Goods’ page they stipulate a maximum of 12 volts, but I see that Typhoon batteries are 14.2. Does anyone have any experience in this area ? Is this restriction actually enforced in the real world ? Thanks.

Perhaps you could ask EasyJet and then come back here and bring us their answer? Thank you.

Perhaps you could ask EasyJet and then come back here and bring us their answer? Thank you.
I asked them yesterday, but the woman just read out what it says on the 'Dangerous Goods' page, i.e. maximum is 12 volts.

Ask the airlines if with a LIPO battery protection they accept?
Example: HobbyKing®™ Fire Retardant LiPoly Battery Bag (170x45x50mm) (1pc)
I've recently been to Iceland and New York. I took a Mavic which is only 3S, but it wasn't even checked. I had it in a lipo safe bag, but no one even blinked. They had to check my 'wallet ninja' tool thing that was in my wallet, but the Mavic and battery went through 4 sets of security scans with no problems whatsoever. I don't think you'll have a problem with the Typhoon battery personally, it's security that will actually check it and they say under a certain number of Watt Hours per battery which the Typhoon one is way under.

Cover the contacts and keep in a Lipo bag and you should be ok. I have flown with 14.2 batteries under 98w without trouble as carry on baggage.

I just flew to Iceland (last month) with 8 Yuneec H batteries from O'hare...no problem...all batteries are carried on with my camera gear. I've flown to several countries and it's never been an issue, voltages have never been checked etc.

Reactions: eric bee
Yeah airport security doesn't know the individual airline rules, which really mean nothing.

In North America anyway you are allowed lithium batteries up to 100wh . Your bigger problem will be taking it as a carry on if that's your plan.. I just spent a lot of time doing this. I think Eu regulation size is 3 cm less in depth than here...

Bigger things fit, but they might not allow it. Depends how picky they want to be.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your responses. The fire-resistant bags look to be a great idea. I emailed Easyjet customer service, and they replied that they would not accept 14.2v batteries, even in a fire-resistant bag ! However I have a friend who owns a 'Mailbox' business and he's offered to ship the batteries over for me via UPS. Some cost involved, but it would remove all the worry at the airport, given the possibility that you'll get someone on the security check who's having a really bad day....
The good news is that it's not a deal-breaker as far as choosing the Typhoon is concerned !

I travel often (granted in the US and Canada only) but they require it be in your carry on in case something were to go wrong so it would be noticed as a pose to the cargo hold. That being said it is security that checks for them and it doesn't seem to ever be an issue.

Also keep in mind that camera crews (filming documentaries, TV shows, movies, etc) travel with a lot of gear that much of requires large batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mexstoragesystem