Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones Prohibited!

I think the death-throw for our hobby was that guy last year putting out a video of a gun on a drone and firing it. That in itself made every law enforcement agency in the world pay attention. If a hobbyist can do that, then a person with motivation can certainly recreate it.
I've said it before, "Soon the only place we will be able to fly is in the garage."
He's a well known YouTube gun nut and all around *******. I saw that video and all I could do was shake my head and utter, "what an *******".

Reactions: John K. Fitzgerald
Before I pulled the trigger on purchasing my Quad, I did a lot of reading up on where I could and could not fly. In my immediate vicinity I have 8 counties, 15 cities (incorporated) and several "State" parks.

I had to do a significant amount of digging, but eventually was able to narrow down to 2 cities that currently have no mention of remote controlled aircraft operation in their municipal codes, or rules and regulations for their parks. I was surprised to see that quite a few had codes against activities that involved throwing (baseball, football, frisbee, kites, etc., quite a few quite plainly said any object), launching, or powered. These were not "new" regulations, they had been on the books for quite some time.

Knowing that I could take off and land from outside the parks, leads me to the next problem, now I am on public streets, and the cities can still regulate where I can take off and land from, as well as park, stand (loitering...). It could get pretty convoluted pretty quick. Point is, if a city or jurisdiction does not want you flying, and you work around every obstacle they put in your way, they can still ticket you for "other " offenses not related to the activity.

Soon, the only place we will be able to fly, is in the garage :(

Luckily enough for me, I'm Canadian, and we don't (yet) have all the "Can't Fly Here" policies like the good ol' US of A. So worried about flying cameras, but let every single lunatic have a gun. I don't think your government has their priorities straight.
I hate to tell you this but....
Flying a drone recreationally - Transport Canada

Can I fly in a national park?

Recreational use of a UAV is prohibited in national parks. The National Parks of Canada Aircraft Access Regulations prohibits aircraft landings and take-offs in national parks except by permission of the Superintendent for park management purposes or in emergencies. Please contact Parks Canada for more information.​

You might think this wouldn't apply to model aircraft because they state "UAV" above, and the following:

Why are there so many different terms for “drones”?
You may know them as “drones”, but the aviation community and Transport Canada use different terms.
In Canada, our laws use two terms:
  • “Model aircraft,” which describes the devices usually used by hobbyists for recreational purposes.
  • “Unmanned Air Vehicle,” or UAV, which refers to unmanned aircraft more used for any non-recreational purposes (i.e. commercial, research and development, academia, first responders, etc).
Internationally the terms “unmanned aircraft system” (UAS) and “remotely piloted aircraft system” (RPAS) are used. The International Civil Aviation Organization uses “UAS” as a catch-all for all unmanned aircraft. Call it what you like - but Transport Canada expects you to operate it safely and legally.​

however, the reference Access Regulations state that "aircraft" is as defined by the Aeronautics Act which states:
aircraft means
  • (a) until the day on which paragraph (b) comes into force, any machine capable of deriving support in the atmosphere from reactions of the air, and includes a rocket;

• (b) [Repealed before coming into force, 2008, c. 20, s. 3] (aéronef)
So, the long and short of it is, it is illegal to fly a powered model aircraft (unpowered are allowed) in a National Park.

Also, sorry for making my first post a long winded legal thing. :p

While ending my first flight yesterday at Sebastian Inlet SP, Florida, a park ranger pulls up alongside me and tells me due to a new directive "No drones can takeoff or land within the park." The rules handed out at the Ranger Station made no mention of this but I complied, stopped flying, and, btw, also had my entrance fee refunded.
If the drone industry doesn't lobby harder I'm afraid there aren't going to be many places ( interesting ) to fly.
. I agree I was flying in a local park and was stopped because of a new rule we have to stop this discrimination

Hopefully when the FAA comes out with the new laws this summer. they will include a clause that states that the FAA has total jurisdiction regardless of state or local laws. The word is this will be the case, but it has to thru congress so anything can happen to it along the way. I hope they'll do the right thing, but they haven't done that in years. FAA is working very closely with industry leaders and so far things look pretty good for us. The biggest hurdle at this point is congress!

So I only fly my drone in the garage. No one can stop me with any so-called regulations, except my wife! ha !

Common sense?

I've heard that quoted many a time over my many decades.

I have yet to encounter anyone who actually possesses any, including myself when met with something close to my heart particularly if it conflicts with something I want to do and more so if I believe someone is dictating what I may or may not get up to.

Sigh, maybe I am human after all.

Ahh... I wish I had deep pockets. All these parks that say " you can't fly here because it's distraction to visitors and stresses wildlife!" I would rent a full size helicopter and fly extremely low and slow (within extent of the law of course) and then tell the ranger "I could be less intrusive with my 4 lb drone... How do u like me now?!"

There is so much to like about this post.

Here is my vid from the flight. A couple more flights from different parts of the Park would have helped.

I'm moving back to Melbourne in about a month. We should meet up and both fly there, after taking off down the street a bit lol.

The FAA has absolute jurisdiction over the airspace. That has been established.

What they do not have is control over the ground, and that will never be. Local municipalities can regulate where you operate the R/C Aircraft from. Been that way for decades.

Hold the drone in the air to take off and do a catch landing...then it isn't on the ground. :lol:

I was referring to traveling with it to the DR. Their FAA policies are even more stringent for registering a drone and its size/weight limits. And if I understand their paperwork correctly, you have to answer a test on Spanish plus have general Spanish speaking skills.

You need to get it Right. I happily registered mine. I have over 20 years a s a real Pilot in both Airplanes and Hot Air Balloons. When you register your aircraft you get rights that you don't get when you don't have a registered aircraft. Lets start with FAR 91.8 (The number has change within the last few Years) I use to call it do not screw with the Pilot rule. What it says is you can not interfere with a Pilot or crew in the operation of there duties. meaning as long as the aircraft is in the air or rolling on the ground the PIC (Pilot in Command) has the ultimate authority over the operation of the aircraft. If you do its a $250,000 fine and 3 years federal time. So go a head don't register and don't get licensed when its time. The only reason to do that is so you can keep flying an braking the law and screwing it up for the rest of us. I am so tired of the government crap I have stayed off most all the forums for sometime now. I had hoped this one would be different.

About 6 months ago the national parks service decided that they would have an "interim no fly policy " in all national parks "until they sort this thing out". Apparently because of 3 separate incidents , 1 in the Grand canyon, 1 at Mt Rushmore and I forget the 3rd. but there were no injuries and all 3 came down to tourists being annoyed by drone operators ( we do need to be considerate when we fly). Just before Christmas the news stations were all over the "drone" story and hyped the living [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] out it! Shortly after that, here in southern Arizona the Pima county parks service decided there will be no drones flown in any Pima county park. City of Tucson, at least in some parks have signs that say things like "No model airplanes allowed, Tucson code sect. 21-3 (7) (3)" It turns out that this is a blanket rule they can apply to anything the decide they don't want in their park. Many city and state governments are already creating new drone laws as we speak. These laws will be tested, the FAA ultimately has jurisdiction over all airspace. However, it doesnt change the fact the we are quickly running out places to fly.

I have done a lot of research and have found (at least for now) that we cant fly in national parks, and some state and city parks, (check your local laws). We can fly over our property Unless we live within 5 miles of an airport or 2 miles from a heliport ( if it has no tower and/or no published flight plan) ie: a hospital heliport etc. You can fly on private property with owners permission, you must respect peoples right to privacy ( although this is a huge grey area all in itself). You can fly on National Forest service land but not on wilderness areas which are most often located inside national forest service land. So do you research and carry current maps. Also keep in mind that you can fly over national parks and wilderness areas but you cannot take off, land or control from within those areas, and if you crash inside , hopefully can get your bird out before you get caught.

1 more thing, Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR's) issued by the FAA for special events like Nascar races , MLB games NFL games etc. apply as well any carry jail time and huge fines if caught, so dont even think about it. I believe they cover a 5 mile radius. But i have no doubt that we will see some dumbass who didnt get the memo, fly over this weekends Superbowl ( i hope I am wrong on this , but I just have a bad feeling).

Oh yes, are you allowed to knock a drone out of the air, even if they are looking directly through your windows? The answer is NO, The FAA sees a UAV the same as any other manned aircraft. You can call the police but you cannot shoot, throw rocks or hit it with any object as it becomes a safety issue, we don't know where that drone will end up. That carries a upto a 25 year prison sentence and or 250,000.00 fine! Now, can you grab it, switch it off and remove it safely from the airspace? Not sure, but that is what i will do if i catch a drone spying on me.

Fortunately the drone industry is huge and growing everyday, we are starting to organize and because congress is corrupt, it's just a matter of time before the right pockets are lined and laws are created in our favor. We have the best government money can buy!

It Is Time We All Get Involved!!!!

John Brother I am behind you all the way. We will either get with it or have no place to fly.

Reactions: John K. Fitzgerald

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval