Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware Question

Would you update your firmware now after knowing the issues?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Before yes because of all the great new additions. Just found out yesterday though that there's a huge drop in range. Some others are OK so my guess is it's not technically loss of range, but they've gotten way too aggressive in the dropout time so that instead of allowing you to reconnect if the signal briefly drops due to trees or interference, it just kicks into auto return and locks you out until it's come way back.

If I knew that beforehand I definitely would not have not upgraded.

Reactions: Samuel Fowler
Neither yes or no at the moment. I've always hung around after a new firmware update for any of my drones to wait and see what issues came of it. My benchmark is to wait a month to see what's what. With DJI, then, there were times when a couple of updates came by within a month!

Before yes because of all the great new additions. Just found out yesterday though that there's a huge drop in range. Some others are OK so my guess is it's not technically loss of range, but they've gotten way too aggressive in the dropout time so that instead of allowing you to reconnect if the signal briefly drops due to trees or interference, it just kicks into auto return and locks you out until it's come way back.

Can you verify this is what is happening every time?

Prior to this firmware I thought it was taking to long to engage RTH.

I flew behind a tree once and it sat there and hovered for several minutes until I walked a half block to get connected again,
never did go into RTH mode. If it momentarily picks up a signal and then looses it again it would never
RTH so there has to be a delay after it initiates a RTH.

I think DJI drones are 20-30 seconds before and after a RTH with no signal which is about right.

Can you verify this is what is happening every time?

Prior to this firmware I thought it was taking to long to engage RTH.

I flew behind a tree once and it sat there and hovered for several minutes until I walked a half block to get connected again,
never did go into RTH mode. If it momentarily picks up a signal and then looses it again it would never
RTH so there has to be a delay after it initiates a RTH.

I think DJI drones are 20-30 seconds before RTH with no signal which is about right.

Yeah it was happening every time and getting super annoying as well. 20-30 second drop out time before RTH kicks in sounds reasonable, but this thing almost seemed like it was fighting me trying to head back even if I had my antennae pointed slightly low/high. Wouldn't even give me time to readjust my controller position before it would head back, but the WORST part is that it locks you out and telemetry won't reconnect until its come way back towards you. It's a bit ridiculous to see it in full view with clear signal and line of sight and it still not have telemetry. Never did that before on previous firmware.

Yeah it was happening every time and getting super annoying as well. 20-30 second drop out time before RTH kicks in sounds reasonable, but this thing almost seemed like it was fighting me trying to head back even if I had my antennae pointed slightly low/high. Wouldn't even give me time to readjust my controller position before it would head back, but the WORST part is that it locks you out and telemetry won't reconnect until its come way back towards you. It's a bit ridiculous to see it in full view with clear signal and line of sight and it still not have telemetry. Never did that before on previous firmware.

It sounds like your H is not acting like it should. Maybe a re-install of the firmware is in order.
I have flown about 10 times since the new firmware and everything seems to be working normal.

Once RTH mode is activated you have to manually abort it. But you should still get telemetry back.

Reactions: Steve Carr

I actually had an increase in range for video downlink and telemetry. Nothing negative about the update for me.

I actually had an increase in range for video downlink and telemetry. Nothing negative about the update for me.
I agree. Don't think this is a firmware issue. In any case, I'm happy with the update. Several improvements that I really like including the Exif data on the photos.

It sounds like your H is not acting like it should. Maybe a re-install of the firmware is in order.
I have flown about 10 times since the new firmware and everything seems to be working normal.

Once RTH mode is activated you have to manually abort it. But you should still get telemetry back.

Since it seems some people have no range issues and others are, did some further testing in open fields. This time was able to get the H out to 5000 ft before I turned it around. I suspect that the new FW doesn't actually reduce the range but if there is any signal loss it kicks into return mode a bit too quickly giving the impression of lost range. This is more noticeable in urban environments with trees, buildings and interference.

Since it seems some people have no range issues and others are, did some further testing in open fields. This time was able to get the H out to 5000 ft before I turned it around. I suspect that the new FW doesn't actually reduce the range but if there is any signal loss it kicks into return mode a bit too quickly giving the impression of lost range. This is more noticeable in urban environments with trees, buildings and interference.
5000 foot range! holy crap, mine starts cutting at around 1800. total vid loss. then I'm too scared to go further. So you think I can?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone