Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware update Ver 2.25 After you update post your outcome here.

After installing Ver 2.25

• Total voters
One thing I've noticed is when a "Lost GPS" or Compass Calibration" error is being displayed the ST16 screen doesn't respond to taps. You have to quick tap between when warning messages are displayed.

Greg
Going to try later this afternoon. Thanks for the help

One thing I've noticed is when a "Lost GPS" or Compass Calibration" error is being displayed the ST16 screen doesn't respond to taps. You have to quick tap between when warning messages are displayed.

Greg

Just press the 'Return' Arrow on the bottom of the Screen. That gets rid of the warnings.

I'm sad.
I took the time today to refine the focus of my camera. I did a flight to take pictures and check for that.
I think I reached a satisfactory focus, but would like to do some more flying in several light conditions to check it better.
What makes me sad is that I bought an hexa which was flying very well: rocksolid!
Now I have a copter that drifts, flies no more straight and I experience now the infamous toilet bowl effect.
Is that the "Yuneec tax" we all have to experience?
... :(

I'm sad.
I took the time today to refine the focus of my camera. I did a flight to take pictures and check for that.
I think I reached a satisfactory focus, but would like to do some more flying in several light conditions to check it better.
What makes me sad is that I bought an hexa which was flying very well: rocksolid!
Now I have a copter that drifts, flies no more straight and I experience now the infamous toilet bowl effect.
Is that the "Yuneec tax" we all have to experience?
... :(
Have you installed the latest firmware and have you calibrated the accelerometer on a level surface?

It is critical that the accelerometer be calibrated on a level surface -- not something kind of level, but actually level.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Have you installed the latest firmware and have you calibrated the accelerometer on a level surface?
Yes, the latest European version (2.25E).
Did all the calibrations with extreme care, even left my metal watch away. Did the ST16 stick calibration also, even if the sticks were well centered.
What seems strange is that I had two flights which seemed good ones yesterday and a not satisfactory one today. The H is no more flying as it was at beginning.
Will repeat everything again tomorrow.

I'm running the previous FW to this one. Had a great flight yesterday the bird was so stable in 20knot winds. I'm not updating now until the niggles are sorted. At least I know this FW works for the basic functions. I've not tried follow me or other intelligent modes

I had a chance to try another few battery's out a few days ago and I can tell you that this firmware has a few latent issues still.
I flew two more and he TH has a little twitch in it. Its pretty quick and small compared to the ones I had seen with the prev two versions. It didn't prevent it from flying however.

There was a few spots where CCC scared me, it got a point and was going to the second point and the thing looked it like was going to fall from the sky for about 2 seconds then went back to normal. Not sure if it was the flight path it calculated or something else. The CCC point it was flying to was behind it and its possible the math for the path caused it to fly some some of overlapping or interesting route - don't know - and I don want to try it again.

After all that flying it was about to land and just about 10 cm from he ground it started to drift backwards and then flipped and broke 3 props. After letting it rest for second and creating a vocabulary of very descriptive words to describe that moment, the compass orange light turns on. It is 100% for sure never come on while in flight and it was not on when it crashed either. It was about 3 or 4 seconds after the crash... maybe thats normal as it was upside down?

The realsense module reports errors now on just about every second startup, saying its not detected and if I have one installed to check the machine. a Simple restart of the TH causes the error to go away and the RS appears to work.

Because the release notes call out temp, I did note that the outside air was cooler than any other time I have flow (winter is here) by a good 10 degrees. Not sure if that effects the performance as no one seems to really know what they fixed related to temp in the latest code.

At the end of the day, Its not a perfect code base yet.

I will be trying more flights this weekend I hope. I'm pretty disappointed again.

Yup did the calibrations, I did not mention that I did them because IMO, (and as I've advocated in other threads), calibrations ARE part of my Firmware Uprade/Patch process. IMO, it should be for everyone that applies upgrades/patches... I only do the ST-16 calibration when there is a ST-16 Upgrade OR I believe the issue is with the ST-16. I'm no noob to this bird. This is my second one (because the first one had compass board issues) and have owned one since it was first available.

After upgrades I do my calibrations in my front yard. I then drive to my "Test Range". This location is free from interference such as Wifi, power lines, big structures, abandoned missile silos (yes I'm serious, they exist here). I use this location successfully with my Q500, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, and my Inspire. I run two batteries through my birds to ensure the upgrades did not degrade performance and to get a feel for new features.

IF I notice I'm experiencing problems, I'll go through the calibrations again at this location. I remove my cellphone from my pocket, power it off, put it in my truck which over 100 yards away to ensure the phone won't interfere nor will the metal in my truck. But I've found that my front yard (suburban neighborhood) with cellphone powered on, in pocket makes no difference. Any issues I've had are not resolved by doing calibrations at this location, free of any potential interference. And yes, I've driven around to other locations even further away from civilization with the same results, no change from initial calibration. My point is my home location is as good as any to do calibrations. I've not had any issues with my DJI birds or Q500, only my H. IF I think the bird requires an accelerometer calibration, I do it when the H is cool. So sometimes this mean I have to wait a day to redo the accelerometer calibration if needed...

I apologize if I'm coming across a bit "snotty", I realize you guys are trying to help which I appreciate. I'm just fed up with upgrades that are not consistent and can degrade my bird. When this happens I lose trust in it, and wind up flying several more batteries at my Test site to ensure its not going to fly away or fall out of the sky. This means I'm spending battery time and my limited free time, just testing the bird rather than actually taking it places I want to shoot. I really like the features the H has. It does a great job for the things I want to do, but I trust it so little and with my limited free time, I wind up grabbing my P4 or Inspire instead...

I am sorry I don't remember which blog/site I read it to give proper credit, but one of the other pilots gave a detailed explanation on GPS. In that he stated that it takes 12.5 minutes for the GPS unit to fully download and register correctly when first used. I may not have the correct terminology or explanation of the process, but I got the message.

I also had the above problems after going through three THs. I would calibrate everything, clear open field, no phone, no smart watch, no remote key fob, controller 20 feet away, etc. and I still had drifting, toilet bowl, etc. As well as the Lost GPS error.

Then after reading the gentleman's post, I started the TH, then let it sit for 15 minutes registering sats before lifting off. I went up about 10 feet and it held stable. After a couple of minutes I Landed, shut off the TH, waited about 30 seconds, then restarted the TH. I raised it to abut 10 feet again, tried a few movements within a 30 foot area, then went up gave it a good test. It is now stable and responding correctly.

If you have replaced your GPS, or received a new TH, try letting it sit for at least 12.5 minutes on your first startup and see if this corrects your problem.

Good Luck and Fly Safe!

I am sorry I don't remember which blog/site I read it to give proper credit, but one of the other pilots gave a detailed explanation on GPS. In that he stated that it takes 12.5 minutes for the GPS unit to fully download and register correctly when first used. I may not have the correct terminology or explanation of the process, but I got the message.

I also had the above problems after going through three THs. I would calibrate everything, clear open field, no phone, no smart watch, no remote key fob, controller 20 feet away, etc. and I still had drifting, toilet bowl, etc. As well as the Lost GPS error.

Then after reading the gentleman's post, I started the TH, then let it sit for 15 minutes registering sats before lifting off. I went up about 10 feet and it held stable. After a couple of minutes I Landed, shut off the TH, waited about 30 seconds, then restarted the TH. I raised it to abut 10 feet again, tried a few movements within a 30 foot area, then went up gave it a good test. It is now stable and responding correctly.

If you have replaced your GPS, or received a new TH, try letting it sit for at least 12.5 minutes on your first startup and see if this corrects your problem.

Good Luck and Fly Safe!
Hi John, that was probably me but a few others may have mentioned it as well. I also mentioned it on RC groups in a Phantom 4 vs Typhoon H forum in a way which was completely device agnostic so others might benefit from my own past experience. Within 5 minutes of posting that I was pounced on by DJI Support and a user named craigiri that said DJI has no such issues because they have redundant GPS's. They said you can boot up and immediately begin flying without issues. I apologized and said I hadn't realized that no one with a DJI drone had ever experienced a fly away, my bad.

I get that with redundant GPS's you could theoretically cut the time in half but it's still not instant, it's 6:15 minutes. The time involved has to do with how old or complete the almanac data is. The transmission rate is fixed in the microwave frequencies unless DJI is planning on launching new faster transmitting GPS satellites. Getting a 2D lock is pretty quick and good enough for a map location or car navigation but for a complete 3D fix for flying it is what it is and it takes time and patience. Or hey, just take off, risk a fly away and or crash, it's not my drone. Thing is I plan on flying while they are waiting to get theirs repaired/replaced.

I also understand that sometimes things just go bad and even following all of the proper pre-startup checklists, you may still have a fly away or lost GPS but waiting will significantly reduce the risk.

Greg

Glad to hear that worked for you.

Greg

Reactions: FlyBry
My experience has taught me to only wait the 12 min after my drone has been shipped around the world and powered on the first time

Every time after that without large changes in location I have had no issues. My procedure might only make me feel better by waiting but if I have to spend 12 min waiting on every power up I give up flying this.

I don't believe that's truly required. I'm only half convinced that after the large location change waiting that long is important also. However it really seemed to help me in my early trouble shooting so I will continue to do it under those circumstances.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Just a little info you probably already know, while flying pay some attention to the home arrow with the H at various positions along a radius around you. If its pointing at you, then the gps/compass is working fine:) Or try RTH

My experience has taught me to only wait the 12 min after my drone has been shipped around the world and powered on the first time

Every time after that without large changes in location I have had no issues. My procedure might only make me feel better by waiting but if I have to spend 12 min waiting on every power up I give up flying this.

I don't believe that's truly required. I'm only half convinced that after the large location change waiting that long is important also. However it really seemed to help me in my early trouble shooting so I will continue to do it under those circumstances.
That should be fine. The Almanac should be good to up to 180 days after it's been initially downloaded or as you indicated a large change in location. Since we've been updating firmware and rebinding, I would treat those events as a clean GPS and allow a complete almanac to download, but that's me. I have yet to have any issues with my H, no TBE, no drifting, and solid GPS. Does that mean what I'm doing is right? I don't know. I just know it seems to be right for me so I share what I know. Details here - Time to first fix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All good so far - out to 2km and back.
New H Pro about to go up as well.

I have experienced the toilet bowl effect and received compass error message 9 mins into the flight while hovering 6 feet off the ground in my backyard. Also, motors became extremely hot. When I tried to calibrate the compass, I kept getting the white light indicating failed calibration. It took 6 attempts before it calibrated successfully. WTH. Ive never had trouble calibrating the compass before. While others are happy with the new firmware, it introduced issues for me. Prior to updating to 2.25, my H flew just fine. Dang, I should have never upgraded. Yuneec should give us the ability to roll back to previous firmware.

You just load the previous version right. Do you have a copy? These are incremental?

Hi John, that was probably me but a few others may have mentioned it as well. I also mentioned it on RC groups in a Phantom 4 vs Typhoon H forum in a way which was completely device agnostic so others might benefit from my own past experience. Within 5 minutes of posting that I was pounced on by DJI Support and a user named craigiri that said DJI has no such issues because they have redundant GPS's. They said you can boot up and immediately begin flying without issues. I apologized and said I hadn't realized that no one with a DJI drone had ever experienced a fly away, my bad.

I get that with redundant GPS's you could theoretically cut the time in half but it's still not instant, it's 6:15 minutes. The time involved has to do with how old or complete the almanac data is. The transmission rate is fixed in the microwave frequencies unless DJI is planning on launching new faster transmitting GPS satellites. Getting a 2D lock is pretty quick and good enough for a map location or car navigation but for a complete 3D fix for flying it is what it is and it takes time and patience. Or hey, just take off, risk a fly away and or crash, it's not my drone. Thing is I plan on flying while they are waiting to get theirs repaired/replaced.

I also understand that sometimes things just go bad and even following all of the proper pre-startup checklists, you may still have a fly away or lost GPS but waiting will significantly reduce the risk.

Greg

Glad to hear that worked for you.

Greg

Thank You gwhuntoon. After numerous GPS/Compass issues, a replaced TH, and now a new GPS card, I still had the drifting, as well as the other problems related to the GPS. After following your advise, Waiting 15 minutes for the GPS almanac data to update, my TH is finally flying Great and Rock Steady. Follow up flights are also great without the 12 minute wait. As Drone_Video stated, I will also perform this 12.5 minute wait when changing geographical locations. Thanks for this valuable information which I have also passed on in other groups I am in.

Reactions: FlyBry
I was sitting outdoor for at least half an hour, few days ago, to refocus the camera. Plenty of time to eventually acquire the almanac, if it was not already. I still had the problems I described in another thread, which I really think have nothing related to GPS.
By the way, are we sure the th can hold this almanac hours after power off?
I seem to recall that GPS receivers can have capacitors to feed memory just for hot or warm reacquisition, but for days only those with a backup battery can do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace