Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Firmware update Ver 2.25 After you update post your outcome here.

After installing Ver 2.25

• Total voters
Just been out for an early morning 2 batteries with my updated H. All went very well and I am pleased. It may be my imagination but Turtle mode seems a bit fiery now with the occassional GPS twitch on side movements but this does not show in the pictures which are immaculate, I have a good camera.

We have issues with the H but the gimbal itself is outstanding, the steadiness is something that has to be admired.

I was sitting outdoor for at least half an hour, few days ago, to refocus the camera. Plenty of time to eventually acquire the almanac, if it was not already. I still had the problems I described in another thread, which I really think have nothing related to GPS.
By the way, are we sure the th can hold this almanac hours after power off?
I seem to recall that GPS receivers can have capacitors to feed memory just for hot or warm reacquisition, but for days only those with a backup battery can do it.
I've been trying to find a meaning full answer for this group and other drone fliers. Credit for the information below needs to be given to an author on this site - TTFF – Time To First Fix -- NaviGadget

Greg

TTFF, or “Time to First Fix” is the time it takes for a GPS to determine its current position.

When the satellites try to acquire a lock they need to rely on both Almanac and Ephemeris data. Almanac data is course orbital parameters for all satellites in the GPS constellation which isn’t very accurate information but is usually current for up to several months. Then there’s Ephemeris data which is very precise orbital and clock correction for each satellite and is required for precise positioning, eg 3D fix. Each satellite broadcasts only it’s Ephemeris data which has a life span of approx 5 hours per satellite. Each satellite will broadcast the Ephemeris data for a 30 second period, and then re-transmit, so if the GPS receiver loses track of the data part way through the 30 second cycle, you will have to start again at the next 30 second cycle.

There are 4 TTFF start types depending on the amount of Almanac and Ephemeris data that is present in the GPS Receiver and where it thinks it is and the satellites are which can help aid the GPS acquire a lock quicker. These are designated as Factory, Cold, Warm and Hot.

Factory is where the receiver has no knowledge whatsoever of Almanac data in turn to locate the satellites and retrieve Ephemeris data, and for a full Almanac to be downloaded can take approx 12.5 mins, hence most companies suggest a factory start of 15 minutes.

Cold start is usually the slowest TTFF you’ll witness on a regular basis which has some knowledge of Almanac data but no Ephemeris data. Almanac data is not precise, but current for several months. When a cold start is required, the receiver has to download a full set of Ephemeris data which as already mentioned above is broadcast over a 30 second cycle and re-transmitted every 30 seconds.

When starting the receiver in a Warm or Hot mode usually you’ll find that the receiver has some Ephemeris data in the case of a Warm start, and in the case of a Hot start it has nearly a full set of Ephemeris data, which aids in making quicker TTFF’s.

One thing to bear in mind is that although Manufacturers quote their average Cold, Warm and Hot TTFF’s, these will vary. Depending on where you are can dramatically change the quickness of acquiring a satellite lock. To load the Ephemeris data form the satellites, the GPS Receiver requires a full 30 seconds of data reception. If this is interrupted from a tall building, or a branch from a tree, or if the signal you are receiving is being reflected off of a building then all of this can cause a problem in the data reception. If the data isn’t received in full, the Ephemeris data collection has to start again at the next cycle.

I've been trying to find a meaning full answer for this group and other drone fliers. Credit for the information below needs to be given to an author on this site - TTFF – Time To First Fix -- NaviGadget

Greg

Thanks for that, but this appeared several times already. That's how GPS fix works.

If it was so easy, I would had solved my problems from longtime already. And few other also. Could be? = : D

So went out and retested today. Re-did ALL my calibrations again. This time used my "level" board for Accelerometer calibration and gimbal calibration, ensured the bird was cool and had not been flown. Compass Calibration done. Did the ST-16 calibration as well. Ensured kp index was low. Did this at my "remote" location. I even waited 12.5 (actually 13 minutes) before actually lifting off.

Well, it still drifts in the X and Y axises. The X axis drift is still very pronounced. It slowly drifts in any direction and even goes into a slow small circle. The camera stays noticeably "tilted" If I put the LG down. It stays tilted no matter what I do. I can put the gear up, wiggle the bird, flip the camera switches and it won't level itself. I have to land and power cycle it.

Again, these issues were not present until the last patch/upgrade. I'm going to open a ticket with Yuneec. Even if there is nothing they can do, I want them to have it on record and voice my displeasure with this bird...

Thanks for that, but this appeared several times already. That's how GPS fix works.

If it was so easy, I would had solved my problems from longtime already. And few other also. Could be? = : D
Your issue probably isn't GPS related then. I wish it was easy and I wish I had an answer.

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” - Sherlock Holmes The Sign of the Four, published in 1890

So went out and retested today. Re-did ALL my calibrations again. This time used my "level" board for Accelerometer calibration and gimbal calibration, ensured the bird was cool and had not been flown. Compass Calibration done. Did the ST-16 calibration as well. Ensured kp index was low. Did this at my "remote" location. I even waited 12.5 (actually 13 minutes) before actually lifting off.

Well, it still drifts in the X and Y axises. The X axis drift is still very pronounced. It slowly drifts in any direction and even goes into a slow small circle. The camera stays noticeably "tilted" If I put the LG down. It stays tilted no matter what I do. I can put the gear up, wiggle the bird, flip the camera switches and it won't level itself. I have to land and power cycle it.

Again, these issues were not present until the last patch/upgrade. I'm going to open a ticket with Yuneec. Even if there is nothing they can do, I want them to have it on record and voice my displeasure with this bird...
The way a lot of these drones have varying issues after a firmware update, and calibrations have been done yet the issues remain, leads me to believe the H's are not all equal internally and have different hardware revs inside which the firmware update uncovers. I thought I had read somewhere that someone had successfully found a way to back rev firmware on an H? I will dig in to that possibility...

Mine has decided now that if it flies forward the it must go left also... What a pain in the ***. Controller outputs are all fine. All calibrations done. Anyone elses refuse to fly straight ahead?

Mine has decided now that if it flies forward the it must go left also... What a pain in the ***. Controller outputs are all fine. All calibrations done. Anyone elses refuse to fly straight ahead?

Mine goes to the right. We could joint them and have a swarm flying straight = : D

That's similar to my issue, except my camera is leveled. I suspect this is another issue, maybe related to the camera gimbal IMU.
Your issue probably isn't GPS related then. I wish it was easy and I wish I had an answer.

“How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?” - Sherlock Holmes The Sign of the Four, published in 1890

Thanks for your kind interest. I guess the only ones that could really help are folks at Yuneec.
I suspect they changed something in the PID, maybe to correct for heat, and introduced a bad stabilization behaviour. In my case it seem drift with time. I already wrote about that in this thread and would avoid a double post here.

Ric

Reactions: Christoph
Mine goes to the right. We could joint them and have a swarm flying straight = : D

That's similar to my issue, except my camera is leveled. I suspect this is another issue, maybe related to the camera gimbal IMU.

Thanks for your kind interest. I guess the only ones that could really help are folks at Yuneec.
I suspect they changed something in the PID, maybe to correct for heat, and introduced a bad stabilization behaviour. In my case it seem drift with time. I already wrote about that in this thread and would avoid a double post here.

Ric

Well, if I get told off so be it! Glad someone else has it too... I thought stuff it and loaded the 1St September software on to it and rewound it to auto pilot *.25... I'll see if that takes me back to when it behaved itself! Thanks for coming back to me... Really appreciate it. Cheers, Chris!

Did you do the calibrations in this order: OUTDOORS (Compass), then INDOORS (Accelerometer), then INDOORS (Gimbal).

I only mention this because the insane method of compass calibrating the Typhoon H via rapid spinning is not conducive to the somewhat delicate internals being stable.

Reactions: Rayray
Here is my experience with the latest firmware update (not sure if it will help anyone).

1. Firmware update went fine (no issues). Tried out the camera indoors after the update and all was well.

2. Went to my local beach along a river. DID NOT DO A COMPASS CALIBRATION. Turned on the "H" and had no video image. Odd (first time this ever happened)... Shut everything down and started it up again, and now had a video image.

3. Very windy day along the beach with waves cresting. I had plenty of water and land around me so took off and flew up 20 feet. Typhoon H was perfectly stable in wind but at a slight angle as it was fighting the wind.

4. After 30 seconds of stable hover observation I fired the Typhoon out at full speed towards some boats on the water (into a headwind) and the Typhoon flew NOT IN A STRAIGHT LINE. It pulled off to the right. This is common when the Typhoon is having issues with the compass and GPS. If I would have calibrated the compass before flying, this "may" not have occurred. I had no intentions of landing and calibrating as this was a common problem I've seen so many times before with many different brands of drones. To fix this problem you just have to fly it forward a distance then fly it backwards, then fly it to the left and then to the right. After a minute or two or three of doing this the Typhoon should sort itself out, (most drones will as the internal calibration firmware resolves conflicts between GPS and Compass as more sats are acquired).

5. I filmed several boats about 500 meters out over the windy waters until the 1st low battery was received (wind was blowing towards me so Typhoon easily flew back with the wind with little battery use). Landed, left the ST16 on, loaded a fresh battery, continued flying and filming (Typhoon continued to fly straight and hover perfectly). However, I could see the compass was just not 100% correct because when I would input slight movements the Typhoon would twitch and jerk and would do the same if I sent it flying at full speed and then let go of the controls... as it came to a stop it would twitch slightly. But, no worries, it was still easily flyable and was working nicely in the wind.

6. Finally on the 4th battery, I did a compass calibration. Hover remained just as solid as the initial flight at #3 above, but now the twitch was gone, so all good. Flew on the 4th and last battery without issue.

So no complaints (so far) with this recent firmware update, all appears well.

Reactions: Tuna and Rayray
I do the same Rayray. Why beat up the camera gimbal when you can just slide it off for the compass cal.

Reactions: Tuna
I installed all new firmware yesterday and did the compass calibration twice. The H appears more steady in hover than before. The additional trim controls are nice and once use to should be pretty useful in flight. I'm going test GPS switching next.

Oh, so it's just me having issues with the camera dying for no reason?
Have you checked the connectors at the camera mount? The brass tangs can push up into the slide mount on the H and not make contact with camera assembly mount. You can remove the clip with the three Allen screws then unplug the molex connector. Unscrew the circuit card from the mount and you can stick the tip of an exacto blade in there and pop it back up. Reassemble accordingly but watch that molex reconnect carefully as it's a bit tricky with big hands.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I did not... But I'm willing to give ANYTHING a shot at this point! Short of standing naked in a field at midnight during a full moon on a January night in the Rockies... ;)

The first time, I did Compass Calibration outside, I did both Accelerometer and Gimbal indoors on my tiled floor in the order which you state. This last time it was all outdoors in the same order which resulted in the results you see above.

I hear ya, will give it a shot and appreciate your help! I just can't believe these H's would be that sensitive. My DJI birds aren't nearly as finicky...

Did you do the calibrations in this order: OUTDOORS (Compass), then INDOORS (Accelerometer), then INDOORS (Gimbal).

I only mention this because the insane method of compass calibrating the Typhoon H via rapid spinning is not conducive to the somewhat delicate internals being stable.

Finally got brave and did the latest firmware update (2.25) last night, as a note I hadn't done the two previous updates only the update before those two and had no problems. With this latest update (2.25) installation for the H and the ST16 went well, no hiccups, this morning took the camera/gimbal off along with the blades and proceeded outside to a wide open clearing checking for true north and proceeded with the compass calibration, no problems there, brought the H back inside setting it on a perfectly level table (used level), attached the gimbal/camera, turned on the ST16 then the H, waited for sync up then performed the accelerometer calibration, passed, then the camera calibration, passed, so far so good, fearing the worst but hoping for the best I took her outside and fired up the ST16, placed the H approx. 25' away and fired it up, waited for sync up, all's good, got camera, got sat's, got GPS, but still waited a bit longer before actual flight making sure all was still good, turned on the props and hit the up stick and ya baby we're off and running, solid as a rock, no warnings, no errors, no red flashes, no buzzing noises, continued to hover around 10-15' for another five minutes then up, up and away, went to 100' let go of the sticks and it stayed solid, no drifting. I didn't try any of the new functions or any follow/watch me stuff which I'm sure is fine, I was more concerned of stability and I had that, so happy camper here !! Only difference I noticed that it did seem to be a bit jerky when you push the sticks, had it in turtle mode, but hey, I can live with that. My regrets of buying Yuneec are very quickly starting to fade. Now I'm hoping it stays this way in the future.

I was sitting outdoor for at least half an hour, few days ago, to refocus the camera. Plenty of time to eventually acquire the almanac, if it was not already. I still had the problems I described in another thread, which I really think have nothing related to GPS.
By the way, are we sure the th can hold this almanac hours after power off?
I seem to recall that GPS receivers can have capacitors to feed memory just for hot or warm reacquisition, but for days only those with a backup battery can do it.

If these devices used persistent memory they could, without battery. I would have no idea how to check or confirm thats above my abilities, but the technology does exist for very cheap persistent memory (no power required). if they are using persistent memory and not managing the refresh of that memory properly, it could explain a few things....

I had a chance to run another 4 batteries and they fly well. As DonArneson commented, there is a bit of jerky/grabby feel at the slower speeds. I had one compass error only and it was while using return to home, but after it landed and the motors went off.

I've got confidence back in flying this as of today. There is always a small risk but thats acceptable. I'm officially taking by TH out of the dog house and going to go fly it in some more places and get back to getting footage.

Reactions: Tuna

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis