Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

First flight did not go so well...

Reaction score
Unpacked and set up my Typhoon H Pro system and charged both Tx and Ac. Booted everything according to instruction and planned to just take off, hover a bit and get used to the new system. (Upgrading from Chroma Blade) Lifted drone off, climbed maybe 20' and then it accelerated out of control across the road into a stand of trees. With the help of the crash emitter I was able to locate it up the tree and had to climb up to retrieve it. Fortunately the branches of the for tree acted like a net and impact was minor with only the camera mount popped and a broken landing gear. Only a $12 repair this time but I am trying to figure what went wrong before I go any further and I am not so lucky next time. After reading some fly away posts after firmware updates I am concerned about doing them and am certainly afraid to fly it a 2nd time until I know what the issues is.

Did you calibrate accelorometer, compass and gimbal prior to flight?
Did you take off in smart mode, a common and often fatal mistake..
Did you give it 15 minutes switched on and sat on the floor to build a comprehensive GPS map?

I have two H's, one of them from when they first came out, which at one time was lodged in a tree. It was found in the tree well before the battery ran down. I've read the documentation multiple times.

Might you tell me more about the crash emitter I know nothing about? My Chroma doesn't have one so this is new to me. It also causes me to question your credibility when combined with your first post in this forum being about a first flight fly away.

Last edited:
Did you give it 15 minutes switched on and sat on the floor to build a comprehensive GPS map?

I did in fact do none of those things so I would imagine you have answered my question as to what went wrong. I will be sure to do them all after installing the firmware update I downloaded last night.

Guess I was complacent after flying the Chroma which had already been all set up.

Thank you for the response and info.

Reactions: joeypippin
I have two H's, one of them from when they first came out, which at one time was lodged in a tree. It was found in the tree well before the battery ran down. I've read the documentation multiple times.

Might you tell me more about the crash emitter I know nothing about? My Chroma doesn't have one so this is new to me. It also causes me to question your credibility when combined with your first post in this forum being about a first flight fly away.

The crash emitter is an audible alarm that was sounding that allowed me to locate the drone up in the tree. As for credibility, not sure what you are talking about. I am 62, a pilot with over 2,000 hours in the 2 aircraft I own, an RC pilot for over 40 years and this is my 2nd drone. It is my first post because this is my first Yuneec and I was searching for what might have gone wrong and found the site...

Reactions: joeypippin

Forgot to mention I was in Smart Mode however the controls seemed to have zero effect after it was airborn and headed away from me...

Did you have obstacle avoidance on?

Always have turned off when taking off.

Do more research before using it, it is a bit tricky.

Did you have obstacle avoidance on?

Always have turned off when taking off.

Do more research before using it, it is a bit tricky.

I did have the Obstacle Avoidance off which is probably a good thing as I believe it would have climbed out over the trees and headed out across the lake had it not been...

Forgot to mention I was in Smart Mode however the controls seemed to have zero effect after it was airborn and headed away from me...
I presume, since you fly the Chroma, you were outside the geo-fence range.
How long did you wait after you turned on the H before you took off?

Please only fly in Angle Mode for the first week or two. Smart Mode is not.:eek:

You'll get it, the TH is easy to fly, yet different in operation from other RC products.:)

Steve I probably only waited a minute or so after everything was initialized before I lifted off. The screen was showing no errors and the drone was not showing any issues I was aware of. Just curious, it was quite bright out so I stood next to my Kubota tractor with an enclosure on it for shade so I could see the screen better, any chance that had any bearing on control issues. Also, I am in a very rural area of Maine, my property is 53 acres. I was probably only 50' from one of my buildings but well over 100' from my aircraft hangar which is metal Thanks for all the help. Chuck

Steve I probably only waited a minute or so after everything was initialized before I lifted off. The screen was showing no errors and the drone was not showing any issues I was aware of. Just curious, it was quite bright out so I stood next to my Kubota tractor with an enclosure on it for shade so I could see the screen better, any chance that had any bearing on control issues. Also, I am in a very rural area of Maine, my property is 53 acres. I was probably only 50' from one of my buildings but well over 100' from my aircraft hangar which is metal Thanks for all the help. Chuck
That short of a wait on your first flight may be the answer. The most recent boot prior to your flight was at the factory about 10,000 miles away. In that case it would take the GPS about 12.5 minutes to get an exact fix. Taking off prior to that generally results in erratic flight behavior.

That short of a wait on your first flight may be the answer. The most recent boot prior to your flight was at the factory about 10,000 miles away. In that case it would take the GPS about 12.5 minutes to get an exact fix. Taking off prior to that generally results in erratic flight behavior.

Sounds like that was probably the culprit then. I will update the firmware for both drone and the ST16 and make sure everything is done correctly this time. Looks like I just took a stupid pill and did not do enough research prior to my attempting the first flight. My desire for getting my immediate gratification fix gets me into trouble like that... Thanks again all for the help and suggestions... Chuck

No worry. The information on waiting for GPS is not in the documentation.
I doubt the tractor would have affected the flight. I sit in the side door of my van for the same reason. So long as the H is far enough away, like 30'.

If your H was beeping it was because the Tx had lost calibration. The H does not have a crash emitter that I am aware of.

We see a lit if people from DJI posting false stories, which is what I was, and am ,concerned about. I'm hoping this is not another one. Apologies for the aggravation.

I think you're going to be fine - lots of great advice here :)

If you take off in Smart mode with the Typhoon closer than the stated 26' -it will fly away from you. This 'safety zone' is sometimes referred to as the 'circle of death' as it catches new pilots out.

Also - watch this:

The constant beeping has me sort of thinking a loss of Tx calibration may have been causal to the event. If you are any significant distance from the H you won't hear it. The aft light would be flashing but being the first flight you could miss it. Loss of Tx calibration is typically not something we can control, only something we can correct after it occurs and becomes apparent. If it happens while in flight we are at the mercy of the system until it gets back on the ground.

If your H was beeping it was because the Tx had lost calibration. The H does not have a crash emitter that I am aware of.

We see a lit if people from DJI posting false stories, which is what I was, and am ,concerned about. I'm hoping this is not another one. Apologies for the aggravation.

Ok, not sure what the beeping was for but it sure helped me locate the aircraft un in the tree. The transmitter was beeping after it went into the trees telling me that it had lost motor power which makes sense since they all stopped turning. As for the credibility issue. someone explained the false crash stories from another company to try and damage the reputation of the Yuneec. I fully understand because I own and operate a firearms training business and a gun shop and a sleazy local competitor creates fake FB accounts to leave negative ratings on my page to try and do the same thing. Sad people have to stoop that low... Everything is updated but now I am afraid to do a test flight.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I know how you feel, been in exactly the same position myself. If the calibrations are complete and correct, the weather good, and the bladder empty, just go outside, wait for a good GPS count, lift off in Angle mode, get 15' or so off the ground, and check basic control functions. If all that went well, go fly. The nerves and apprehension sort themselves out over time.

Good to see a fellow shooter in here:)

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning