Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flight timer for ST16

Reaction score
It would be great if yuneec put a flight timer in the telemetry section on the screen of the ST16.
It would help to gauge roughly how much time you have left on the battery.
I used to fly Lumenier QAV's and my Spektrum DX8 had that feature.

Agree. I thought the same today when I kept looking at bat voltage to estimate time remaining. I can see one issue with that however. It adds another box of information to the already crowded screen. I saw a post awhile back where a magnetic adhesive strip was added near the bottom of the ST16 and then a removeable timer was attached. I think this is something I might find more user friendly.

I wanted a timer in order to log flight time. Walmart had an $0.88 solution in a digital timer that a little Velcro provided the adhesive for. It sits just above the sun shade. Don't let reliance on a manufacturer be a limitation.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I wanted a timer in order to log flight time. Walmart had an $0.88 solution in a digital timer that a little Velcro provided the adhesive for. It sits just above the sun shade. Don't let reliance on a manufacturer be a limitation.

I bought one suggested on here from Amazon - Polder model 898 Clock/Timer sticks onto ST16.

I think a timer should have been provided in the ST16 - perhaps it is not too late in an upgrade. Faceless Yuneec will never let on in advance of their oversight.

It would be great if yuneec put a flight timer in the telemetry section on the screen of the ST16.
It would help to gauge roughly how much time you have left on the battery.
I used to fly Lumenier QAV's and my Spektrum DX8 had that feature.
Battery percentage would be even better, like most other platforms have been using for years. Then you just fly to 30-20%! Or what ever you desire!:rolleyes: Because time is irrelevant due to winds, humidity and temperature. So your flight time will actually vary sometimes quite a bit, but with battery percentage, you will always know when to return to home, land or emergency land etc.! Because you will always be able to see the exact percentage of available battery that you have at that moment in time and distance;)

Battery percentage would be even better, like most other platforms have been using for years. Then you just fly to 30-20%! Or what ever you desire!:rolleyes: Because time is irrelevant due to winds, humidity and temperature. So your flight time will actually vary sometimes quite a bit, but with battery percentage, you will always know when to return to home, land or emergency land etc.! Because you will always be able to see the exact percentage of available battery that you have at that moment in time and distance;)

Battery percentage would surely need re-engineering to allow cell info. A simple timer tied to throttle 50% like Futaba etc would suffice.

A timer will tell you absolutely nothing whatsoever about a cells information either! There is nothing to re-engineer! DJI, Autel, Walkera have all been using battery % as a means to accurately know how long you can safely fly your platforms for many moons.
But different strokes, for different folks !:rolleyes:

It's called a "Smart" battery, and it gives information that is what it is! It can also self discharge itself to a 50% charge for safe storage all by itself from a preset by you selection of between 2 days to 10 days. Eliminating the need to buy a expensive after market charger and leads. Displaying this information onto the ST16 screen is just a matter of a firmware add in!

I agree with drone clone. You could be hovering for 22 minutes and need to land, or fly agressively and need to land after 16 minutes. If it's windy. If it's not windy. Humidity. You would never have the same flight time...

I could understand for a flight log purpose. But for the OP purpose, you need to keep an eye on your H battery voltage. That is the only thing that matters. 14.7 get back. 14.3 LAND !

The ST-16 does also a good job with the vibrations and alert to let you know it's time to come back... way better then a timer in my opinon !

My timer is purely for admin purposes. I fly to 14.7 on the ST16.
Have never been keen on smart batteries purely because of the perceived hassle of keeping up with the seemingly endless updates etc on the Phantom and Inspire.

We have battery voltage displayed for us to see. It's very simple to establish the starting voltage and the desired ending voltage while periodically observing the voltage display. If you want battery percentages you'll have to accept "smart batteries" and their associated higher cost and charge circuit complexity. For me, simple works just fine. I've been using the voltage observation method for many years.

Reactions: abinder
We have battery voltage displayed for us to see. It's very simple to establish the starting voltage and the desired ending voltage while periodically observing the voltage display. If you want battery percentages you'll have to accept "smart batteries" and their associated higher cost and charge circuit complexity. For me, simple works just fine. I've been using the voltage observation method for many years.
What ever works for the individual works for me!:rolleyes:

For some of us (apparently not all), the battery image on the ST16 displays percentages of flight time remaining. When you're at 50% it is wise not to begin a 1000 foot journey. When it changes from 50% to 25% that is the safe limit for RTH for most distances. I have been out 1200 feet over water when I hit 25% and the low voltage warning came on. I hit RTH and the Typhoon returned without incident. It flew back and the ST16 controller complained the entire journey about low battery. Once the low voltage or 25% hits, that is Yuneec's signal to pilots to hit RTH or land within the next two to four mins.

Now all pilots must be well aware of wind. If RTH involves flying against the wind, I would not venture too far at 50%. However if RTH involves flying with the wind then you can be at the limits of the communication signal when 25% (low voltage warning) hits and then hit RTH.

Obviously If you're a newbie or nervous pilot then fly within the limits/range/battery that make you feel comfortable.

20160826_124608.png

Reactions: PatR and KBflyer
We all have the bars Captain, What I am speak of is the exact percentage in numbers, like the other platforms use, i.e.:
26%, 33% and so on, gives you exact numerical numbered percentages!;)

We all have the bars Captain, What I am speak of is the exact percentage in numbers, like the other platforms use, i.e.:
26%, 33% and so on, gives you exact numerical numbered percentages!;)
I posted about the battey icon a few months back and it seemed not everyone had this, which I found strange.

All electronic devices, especially cameras, have either a percentage or battery icon. It seems it is simpler for manufactures to use an icon with bars over a percentage, yet they both mean the same.

My guess is that Yuneec went with the bar icon over an exact battery remaining percentages was because they didn't want users to confuse percentage remaining and voltage if both are represented as numbers.

I like DJI's method of drawing a horizontal bar across the entire top of the screen with an internal calculation for combined battery/flight time remaining. DJI uses 30% as the basis for low battery/RTH, but oddly they allow the user to change this.

Reactions: DroneClone
It's called a "Smart" battery, and it gives information that is what it is! It can also self discharge itself to a 50% charge for safe storage all by itself from a preset by you selection of between 2 days to 10 days. Eliminating the need to buy a expensive after market charger and leads. Displaying this information onto the ST16 screen is just a matter of a firmware add in!
Is this possible with the Yuneec batteries?

If people are willing to cough up $170.00 for a battery and invest some more in the charger I'm sure it's possible. Totally unnecessary if people learn how to use the tools in their hands, but possible. Look at what a Phantom battery sets you back. Now buy 6 or 8 of them. Even worse, an Inspire battery. We don't seem to need percentage of fuel remaining in our cars, most seem to do just fine with a moving needle over a divided display. Why do we need to do it differently with a battery display?

Oh, forgot, I drive an older car that doesn't display miles remaining estimates...

Reactions: abinder
If people are willing to cough up $170.00 for a battery and invest some more in the charger I'm sure it's possible. Totally unnecessary if people learn how to use the tools in their hands, but possible. Look at what a Phantom battery sets you back. Now buy 6 or 8 of them. Even worse, an Inspire battery. We don't seem to need percentage of fuel remaining in our cars, most seem to do just fine with a moving needle over a divided display. Why do we need to do it differently with a battery display?

Oh, forgot, I drive an older car that doesn't display miles remaining estimates...
I know exactly how to use the tools in my hands, and you can get a smart battery considerably less than a $170 dollars, and the H should have already come with both and then there would be but a slight difference in cost!
Pat, it's called "TECHNOLOGY" You can also go back to the days we were kids, and put a Kodak Instamatic on your kite too!, And fly it on a string, Does that sound logical in today's world of aerial photography ?!.
Fly a 1960 Cessna and then a 2015 Cessna and then tell me about how accurate and SAFE the digital percentages of fuel and angle of wings etc. vs needle controls are! I would much rather know what % of battery I have, no matter the environmental conditions, than what the battery voltage "Only" is .
And how much more reliable the newer technology is to read and use.
It's your choice and no reason to get upset over people wanting things you do not! If people choose to still live in a cave with no features,, that is their freedom of choice! I myself prefer a totally automated, climate controlled home!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval