Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying in wind

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just wondering how much wind you feel comfortable flying in? I flew my 2nd flight today. It was pretty gusty but I have no idea what the wind speed was. I am PARANOID about crashing, but I know I will eventually. I'd just like it to be later than sooner (actually I'd rather not at all.)

I felt/saw the wind gust and landed the drone. As soon as it hit the ground it shot back up about 5 ft although I had the flight stick all the way down. I finally got it down on the ground and turned it off immediately. - Time for the case.....

Just curious what your experiences are with the q500 and the wind.

I have flown in some pretty gusty conditions at ground level. The GPS does a pretty good job of holding it's position. What was the wind speed? I don't really know but most likely 10+mph. I do try to avoid windy days. Just not much fun flying if your are nervous about it.

One thing I have noticed what seems to be a calm day at ground level but it is not aloft. So even tho it feels calm where you are standing it may be windy aloft.

Trust the GPS and use common sense. Don't fly if you don't feel comfortable with the weather situation.

The Q500 handles the wind pretty well. I think Yuneec recommend not flying in wind of more than 13mph. That's erring a little bit on the cautious side I think, I think it can handle a little bit more than that. One thing the Q500 does do in strong wind though, is it suddenly just spins around. Like the wind has just caught it and spun it around. You could be flying a nice straight line line, then suddenly you've done a 180!. The first time it happens you might think what's going on but you'll soon get used to it. It's not really a problem, you just have to turn it back around again. Don't know if it's something to do with the shape of the Q or something? However, if it happens repeatedly on a flight, that might be a sign that it is indeed too windy to be flying the Q. Bring it down, land and live to fly another day! The bouncy landing you mentioned. Yeah, they all do that. I think they tried to fix it with one of the firmware updates but mine still does it. The best thing to do to try and negate the bouncy landing is to put it into turtle mode when you land. That helps a lot. If your Q seems to be struggling a bit going forward in high wind, turn it around and fly backwards. The profile of the back of the Q is a lot more aerodynamic than the front.

Reactions: Eddie Spagetti
The Q500 handles the wind pretty well. I think Yuneec recommend not flying in wind of more than 13mph. That's erring a little bit on the cautious side I think, I think it can handle a little bit more than that. One thing the Q500 does do in strong wind though, is it suddenly just spins around. Like the wind has just caught it and spun it around. You could be flying a nice straight line line, then suddenly you've done a 180!. The first time it happens you might think what's going on but you'll soon get used to it. It's not really a problem, you just have to turn it back around again. Don't know if it's something to do with the shape of the Q or something? However, if it happens repeatedly on a flight, that might be a sign that it is indeed too windy to be flying the Q. Bring it down, land and live to fly another day! The bouncy landing you mentioned. Yeah, they all do that. I think they tried to fix it with one of the firmware updates but mine still does it. The best thing to do to try and negate the bouncy landing is to put it into turtle mode when you land. That helps a lot. If your Q seems to be struggling a bit going forward in high wind, turn it around and fly backwards. The profile of the back of the Q is a lot more aerodynamic than the front.

This is very true............it will spin in the wind.........don't freak out..........don't fight it........it WILL stop spinning....you can either continue or bring home. It's a great bird though. I love it.

About the landing.......I only landed it two times........broke three props the first time.......second time I did't break any, but confirmed I didn't want to land any more. I hand catch (hundreds of times now) without breaking anything. Takes some concentration in a breeze, but I won't land anymore.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Just wondering how much wind you feel comfortable flying in? I flew my 2nd flight today. It was pretty gusty but I have no idea what the wind speed was. I am PARANOID about crashing, but I know I will eventually. I'd just like it to be later than sooner (actually I'd rather not at all.)

I felt/saw the wind gust and landed the drone. As soon as it hit the ground it shot back up about 5 ft although I had the flight stick all the way down. I finally got it down on the ground and turned it off immediately. - Time for the case.....

Just curious what your experiences are with the q500 and the wind.

down load the app UAV FORECAST into your phone or computer it will tell you the wind MPH and direction where you are flying or just add the zip code also the KP index hour by hour the app will tell you if it's good to fly . you can also buy a small wind meter they are cheap on E BAY .

Reactions: Eddie Spagetti
down load the app UAV FORECAST into your phone or computer it will tell you the wind MPH and direction where you are flying or just add the zip code also the KP index hour by hour the app will tell you if it's good to fly . you can also buy a small wind meter they are cheap on E BAY .

Very cool app....especially the Kp index(geomagnetic disruption). Very cool.......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22