Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Flying when it's snowing?

Reaction score
Curious, has anyone tried flying when it's snowing out and what would be some of the problems?

Curious, has anyone tried flying when it's snowing out and what would be some of the problems?
I've not flown while its been actually snowing, but have just after snow has fallen. I see a snow fall as precipitation which should be avoided if at all possible...but that's just me.

Once, though, just after a snow fall I flew up to quite a respectable height (a few years ago before I got boring) to just below the cloud level and my aircraft became unstable: Ice had formed on the props. (I managed to get it landed, though, so no damage)

Reactions: Jester
Depending on the temperature falling snow is quite dry. Below ~25*F there is virtually no threat of moisture unless the snow melts. However, at 25F or so snow is not "sticky" and just bounces off objects of equal or lower temperature. I've flown many times with an H or Chroma in light to medium snowfall but limited the time of exposure for two reasons. One; to minimize the amount of potential snow melt on the top of the aircraft, and two; because I was freezing my a$$ off. I will not fly during snowfall with an aircraft having uncovered electronics.

Pay close attention to battery voltage when it's cold. They do not provide nearly as much flight time.

Depending on the temperature falling snow is quite dry. Below ~25*F there is virtually no threat of moisture unless the snow melts. However, at 25F or so snow is not "sticky" and just bounces off objects of equal or lower temperature. I've flown many times with an H or Chroma in light to medium snowfall but limited the time of exposure for two reasons. One; to minimize the amount of potential snow melt on the top of the aircraft, and two; because I was freezing my a$$ off. I will not fly during snowfall with an aircraft having uncovered electronics.

Pay close attention to battery voltage when it's cold. They do not provide nearly as much flight time.
Here in England the temperature doesn't often get down to 25f during the day time at lower levels so our snow does tend to be a bit more sticky. Further, the air also tends to be damp during snowfall too. (We don't get snow like we used to, say, 50 years ago)

In some parts of Scotland and the high hills of northern England and the tops of the Pennines you do get that non-sticky snow...but then you just freeze your socks off in it:(

I flew at 6 degrees (f)over a frozen lake about 2 months ago!
Was awesome, no wind so it really didn't feel that cold until I got back in the car and realized I could feel my hands burning from the cold. Flying over frozen lakes is an amazing adventure.
I've flown in snow ( very cold ) and you really aren't in any danger from moisture at the lower temps.

Use Corrosion X

Much battery-driven consumer electronics will work under water (car windows, headlights, radio). Thing is... what happens if the stuff has dried up, especially if it is submerged in dirty or salt water...
That is what this X does, like any silicon-lube it makes electronics water repellent so you can rinse your electronics in fresh water an let it dry.

I'd like to see someone throwing his H into some pond.

:cool:

Reactions: Tree
Short flights are the deal in snow. I've flown a few times in the snow and each time I had ice build up on the props.

Hey David - I've flown in both heavy and light snow fall. The only critical tip I took away from it was to always make sure you're bringing the batteries and craft from inside a warm house before going up.

Once I flew but had left my drone in the car at around 29F. Aside from a nearly non functional controller, I was only up for about 8 min (on a full battery) before I got a low battery/land now alert.

In all instances (light and heavy snow fall) my drone came back completely dry and unaffected. I, however, could not say the same...

I just wiped wd40 on mine and went flying lol
WD40 works too, but this stuff Corrosion X, you can actually lose your H in the water, recover it and fly it with no damage to any of the electronics. In fact, if you water proofed it correctly you could fly it underwater.

It is getting a bit off topic, but I do not believe the Corro-X myth (working on more sophisticated electronics).

edit: * Not only do you have to buy these expensive cans of silicone lube but also tear the whole machine apart to the smallest components to 'seal' them. Then put the rig back together without damaging it and the 'seal' in the process. I wonder what captured video looks like with some specs of that lube on the lens that you may have looked over or did not manage to remove. Also I wonder how sophisticated components like the video-chip and pressure sensors will react to the stuff. *

I will be happy to change my mind if I see someone throw his H and CGO-3 in a swimming pool en let it drown until it hits the bottom, maybe fly a bit under water. Then get it out, fly it and put it away.
Having witnessed that I'd like to see that very same craft fly the week after the event as well.

If I have seen and documented all this all I promise I'll be the world's best marketeer for the product.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: FlushVision

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430