Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS problem Typhoon H Pro (RS) toilet bowl effect video

Reaction score
Believe I have an GPS problem. While flying around with my Typhoon H Pro (RS) I experienced a so called toilet bowl effect. My bird was recording everything and here are the last 2:20 minutes of my flight including a hard landing followed up by a flip over.

Damaged two rotor blades.

If possible, pick a calm evening and turn off the gps and see how it flies. You can turn the gps on and off while flying to see the difference. If it's stable with gps off then you know the module is defective.

Reactions: Ana Rosa
Did you notice at what Voltage your battery was at when you started experiencing your issue? Mine has done the same thing but noticed it at 15.3ish V and lower getting worse towards 14.7V left on battery. Crashing the same way breaking props each time. Have gone thru a full set already. Did successfull compass and Accel Calibrations with no luck. My bird went into support the first time and they replaced the GPS, came back doing the same thing. Sent it in for the second time and they replaced the ECB controller board but haven't recieved it back yet from them to test to see if its fixed. Should be here Monday. There is definitely an issue with some, not sure what causes it as support won't say what or why they replace a certain part and for what reason. It's like they know there is an issue but not sure what is causing it so they keep replacing parts hoping it fixes it. Keep us updated as you should call support and expect to loose it for about 3 to 4 weeks.

Here is the part they recently say they replaced;
Typhoon H Main Power Distribution Electronic Control Board (Does not include flight controller)

Last edited:
The music makes me want to cry such a sad and terrible thing to happen... that how I felt ml when my 1st h crashed on its own

Guys,

It’s just like with a new car, my bird got its first scratch now. Still love to fly it when it all would be working correctly.

Yesterday while flying over the Siegfriedline I calibrated my bird before I went up. Since some guy mentioned online you should only calibrate at long distances between two points (100 Km) I thought I was only 5 Km away for the place I went up yesterday so do not need to calibrate.

I checked the telemetry so far I could (still need to learn much) and I noticed that before hard landing it jumped from angle mode onto following mode. (did I hit any bottom? I thought not)

Nevertheless thought that I had a similar problem while flying around Gulpen a few days ago but all went for me as newcomer fairly good.

Main question is what is the best thing to do when you are losing GPS or see your bird have problems and making circles in the sky? Simply turn off the GPS and land in agle mode??

Arno

Believe I have an GPS problem. While flying around with my Typhoon H Pro (RS) I experienced a so called toilet bowl effect. My bird was recording everything and here are the last 2:20 minutes of my flight including a hard landing followed up by a flip over.

Damaged two rotor blades.

Same issue i have... its the gps, the moment you shut it off the problem goes away. Its better landing no gps than with gps toilet bowling!!!!

In several days ill get my hands on a new one and swap component by component until i find exactly what causes thus issue.

Its not accelerometer , compass calibrations, or interference. Its crappy electronics. Flew fine at first and then this effect has been irreversible.

Guys,

It’s just like with a new car, my bird got its first scratch now. Still love to fly it when it all would be working correctly.

Yesterday while flying over the Siegfriedline I calibrated my bird before I went up. Since some guy mentioned online you should only calibrate at long distances between two points (100 Km) I thought I was only 5 Km away for the place I went up yesterday so do not need to calibrate.

I checked the telemetry so far I could (still need to learn much) and I noticed that before hard landing it jumped from angle mode onto following mode. (did I hit any bottom? I thought not)

Nevertheless thought that I had a similar problem while flying around Gulpen a few days ago but all went for me as newcomer fairly good.

Main question is what is the best thing to do when you are losing GPS or see your bird have problems and making circles in the sky? Simply turn off the GPS and land in agle mode??

Arno

Only the latest firmware lets you shut of gps in flight, so if you dont have it landing can be difficult some people catch it. I thjmm thats crazy with out a hardhat and full mask!

Only the latest firmware lets you shut of gps in flight, so if you dont have it landing can be difficult some people catch it. I thjmm thats crazy with out a hardhat and full mask!
I've got scars on my forearms from trying to stop my Cessna RC plane that took off at me by mistake about 5 years ago. I was so cut up and bloody that I told myself I would never come close to a moving prop again. These props can be dangerous.

Does not sound like calibration to me.

If the H loses a GPS lock, it is supposed to automatically switch to Angle mode, BUT if it starts acting crazy I would turn the switch to Angle. If close to ground and both batteries are OK, raise it higher, steering into a clear place to give yourself time to see what is going on. If there is much wind, be careful or it will get away. All this is if the bird loses GPS.

I would first fly it again, in as open a place as possible, and see if the problem repeats, and under what conditions.

Good luck, Arno. You'll get it sorted out.

I've got scars on my forearms from trying to stop my Cessna RC plane that took off at me by mistake about 5 years ago. I was so cut up and bloody that I told myself I would never come close to a moving prop again. These props can be dangerous.

Yeah they can kill, several years ago i remeber a professional kid pilot flying his helicopter cut off his own head.

Nothing to play with even when they are funtioning right. You cant replace your life. This is a 1k peice of plastic...easy to replace.

Finally got to run a full battery thru my H that came back from Support yesterday and it flew without any toilet bowl issues. I ran the battery all the way down thru the 14.6v limit to ensure it held solid and I did not do any calibrations, left them factory set from the shop. Going to run a couple more batteries thru it in the next couple days but seems to fly without any issues. Hopefully it is fixed!

Finally got to run a full battery thru my H that came back from Support yesterday and it flew without any toilet bowl issues. I ran the battery all the way down thru the 14.6v limit to ensure it held solid and I did not do any calibrations, left them factory set from the shop. Going to run a couple more batteries thru it in the next couple days but seems to fly without any issues. Hopefully it is fixed!

Nice Mike, what was it they fixed up. You said it was the main board they were going to replace this time around right?

Made today (24 Aug 2016) a new test flight. Yuneec Europe called me and said that according to them I had not enough satellites the last time I fly around with my bird and that would be the main problem why I experiences the Toilet Bowl effect (followed by the hard landing and flip over).

Ok, Today new test flight started to dismantling the CG03 from my bird at Home so when something goes wrong it would not be damaged. After arrival on the flying spot searched for the north with a compass and calibrated my bird. Before taking off also checked how many satellites I had. The taking off no problems go a little bit further now problems. Landing gear up for some reason it did not work. Only right leg when a little bit up (few cm’s) that was it.

Flying around I noticed it started to make small circles in the sky again. Hit the RTH and my bird went up and returned home and landed all by itself in the field.

Had my video camera with me. At the end op part 2 also included testing my landing gear at home again. At home I had no problems with my landing gear at all.

Arno

Made today (24 Aug 2016) a new test flight. Yuneec Europe called me and said that according to them I had not enough satellites the last time I fly around with my bird and that would be the main problem why I experiences the Toilet Bowl effect (followed by the hard landing and flip over).

Ok, Today new test flight started to dismantling the CG03 from my bird at Home so when something goes wrong it would not be damaged. After arrival on the flying spot searched for the north with a compass and calibrated my bird. Before taking off also checked how many satellites I had. The taking off no problems go a little bit further now problems. Landing gear up for some reason it did not work. Only right leg when a little bit up (few cm’s) that was it.

Flying around I noticed it started to make small circles in the sky again. Hit the RTH and my bird went up and returned home and landed all by itself in the field.

Had my video camera with me. At the end op part 2 also included testing my landing gear at home again. At home I had no problems with my landing gear at all.

Arno

Test flight (24 Aug 2016) part 1

Arno

Test flight (24 Aug 2016) part 2

Ana, They replaced the ST16 with a new one and I thought they may have gave me a new replacement H because it came with the new tags on the arms but it did have the same serial number. The part they stated was replaced on the work order was this:
www.vertigodrones.com/Typhoon-H-Main-Power-Distribution-Electronic-Control-Board-Does-not-include-flight-controller_p_390.html

Mike

Interesting that they left the same flight controller in it. Guess they are the experts if they fixed it correctly.

Arno

The weight balance is really unbalanced without the cam ...puts a strain on the rear motors touch them after the flight.

Interesting that they left the same flight controller in it. Guess they are the experts if they fixed it correctly.
I think I got a new H replacement and they put my serial number on it. I wish I would have marked it somehow to tell for sure but it is flying with no issues!! Well I had a small camera hiccup where it wouldnt pan but once I landed rebooted it worked fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval