Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Signal Lost and Objective Avoidance Failure Warnings

Reaction score
I'm on my second H after the 1st developed a landing gear failure in the first three weeks.

I've upgraded the firmware and have done all the calibrations on the new unit and it flies predictably with the exception of getting an occasional GPS signal lost warning before take off and after landing. I also get an occasional and random object avoidance system failure warning without having object avoidance activated.

I'm most concerned about the GPS signal lost warning given that I generally have at least 15-20 plus satellites locked in on the aircraft and at least 12-15 plus satellites locked in on the ST16.

Any insight into these warnings and why, is greatly appreciated!

I'm on my second H after the 1st developed a landing gear failure in the first three weeks.

I've upgraded the firmware and have done all the calibrations on the new unit and it flies predictably with the exception of getting an occasional GPS signal lost warning before take off and after landing. I also get an occasional and random object avoidance system failure warning without having object avoidance activated.

I'm most concerned about the GPS signal lost warning given that I generally have at least 15-20 plus satellites locked in on the aircraft and at least 12-15 plus satellites locked in on the ST16.

Any insight into these warnings and why, is greatly appreciated!

I have been getting the same thing. I'm interested in hearing what is said about this. It's getting annoying. I also get real sense not detected when it's clearly activated on my ST-16. I'm also getting these with obstacles avoidance off and in angle mode.

Last edited:
Something is not right with what both of you are reporting.
I have the latest firmware on both the H and the ST16 and I have done all calibrations successfully, yet, after at least 10 flights, I have not seen any of the warnings you mention. The only difference is that I don't have RealSense (can't help you there Chad).
BeeRAD56- can you elaborate on when you are actually getting the GPS warnings? Is it while in flight, or on the ground, etc??
Obstacle avoidance - seems like it may be a switch calibration issue on the ST16, particularly if you don't have it activated. Have either of you tried recalibrating the ST16 after the firmware update?

I have noticed the same warnings (GPS signal lost warning ) when flying from our front yard....
nothing when I fly the H in the back yard.
I also get a electromagnetic interference warning.
I attribute this to the power lines that criss cross the road.
After I take off and get above 100 feet, I get no further warnings until I land.
I usually fly from my back yard, but because of the resent 32" snowfall, I cant get out back !
Do you have power lines around your take off point ?

ArnhemAnt is very correct. The conditions both of you are facing are not normal or even "usual" problems reported. I, too, would feel unsafe getting such warnings. They undermine your faith in the drone and your enjoyment when flying it.

Chad, you have had your Typhoon to Yuneec HQ so often that I am surprised you have any issues at all. You shouldn't. But the ones you are still facing are a doozy. The RealSense situation doesn't make any sense, either. I never had any such warnings or problems with it.

ArnhemAnt's suggestion to re-calibrate the ST16 may be your answer to the OA problem. That would make sense. I don't think it is your Typhoon acting up. I think the hiccup is going to be found in your controller. I'd start there and see what results you get.

Atomic08, the power lines in your front yard could very well be causing you your disturbances, as such lines often leak and can also build up a huge electromagnetic field around themselves, fields that can definitely screw around with your controller and even your Typhoon. Yuneec warns against flying near such possible sources of interference for just such reasons. I don't think this is what's happening to posters ChadCloses or BeeRAD56, however.

Perhaps re-binding the units will sort this out for you two gentlemen. BeeRAD56 says he has already tried re-calibration to fix the situation without any results, but maybe a re-binding will do the trick by re-establishing the vital connection that needs to constantly exist between your ST16s and your Typhoons. Might be worth a shot.

I have been getting the same thing. I'm interested in hearing what is said about this. It's getting annoying. I also get real sense not detected when it's clearly activated on my ST-16. I'm also getting these with obstacles avoidance off and in angle mode.

I was getting this ( plus saying to restart) reported to Yuneec UK, they had supposedly never seen this and I have had to return the unit to them to check. But looks like it might be a bit more common than they are admitting or know about

For no good reason I'm aware of, it is not unusual to get an occasional GPS, OA, or compass warning. One brief warning or a quick light flash followed by normal readings and operation is no cause for worry. RealSense does need to be off at takeoff or landing.

This is my experience over a period of months.

For no good reason I'm aware of, it is not unusual to get an occasional GPS, OA, or compass warning. One brief warning or a quick light flash followed by normal readings and operation is no cause for worry. RealSense does need to be off at takeoff or landing.

How can you have real sense activated/not activated without OA activated. Don't they go hand in hand? Or have I been mistaken this whole time? F'ing auto correct!!

This is just a funny experience I wanted to share. From time to time I get the "GPS Signal Lost" message before I get off the ground usually right after I turn on the H on and pairs with the ST16 successfully. It was annoying and thought it was a problem with the H. After careful observation I realized the very wide brim straw surfer hat I wear was blocking the GPS signal! :p:D To verify, I purposely took my hat off and held it directly over the H while it was on the ground and sure enough I got the signal loss warning! Just FYI, in case some of you wear hats to prevent skin cancer! :cool:

Reactions: Jester
How can you have real sense activated/not activated without OA activated. Don't they go hand in hand? Or have I been mistaken this whole time? F'ing auto correct!!
Yes the two systems work together and can't be turned off separately on my H Pro. Right?

After careful observation I realized the very wide brim straw surfer hat I wear was blocking the GPS signal! :p:D To verify, I purposely took my hat off and held it directly over the H while it was on the ground and sure enough I got the signal loss warning!

That is hilarious...and funny.:p:D

That is hilarious...and funny.:p:D

I know, I was really embarrassed to even share this with anyone. Luckily I didn't waste a tech's time over the phone to resolved the issue...or worse send the bird back for warranty work.

This is just a funny experience I wanted to share. From time to time I get the "GPS Signal Lost" message before I get off the ground usually right after I turn on the H on and pairs with the ST16 successfully. It was annoying and thought it was a problem with the H. After careful observation I realized the very wide brim straw surfer hat I wear was blocking the GPS signal! :p:D To verify, I purposely took my hat off and held it directly over the H while it was on the ground and sure enough I got the signal loss warning! Just FYI, in case some of you wear hats to prevent skin cancer! :cool:
Yes, I've noticed the GPS warnings whenever I'm leaning over the TH or controller (on the ground, of course). Maybe it IS my hat!

Reactions: m5zealot
Yes, I've noticed the GPS warnings whenever I'm leaning over the TH or controller (on the ground, of course). Maybe it IS my hat!

I'd like to think the signals can penetrate a straw hat or baseball cap but....:rolleyes:

I agree with this.
I, too, get the odd flash to warn about compass but otherwise normal. Of course, if the flashes were to be more persistent, that would give me cause for concern.

Incidentally, I was doing some filming of a completed rubbish tip/land-fill site prior to it being landscaped and turned into a golf course on Wednesday and on the Hs first flight I noticed some slight veering to the right when it should have been going directly ahead. I hadn't done a compass calibration before taking off because my last calibration was at a place only about a mile away. On landing I got the message warning about compass calibration: please land...after it had landed, so I thought: Ahh!
I put another battery in and started everything up and calibrated the compass, then had a cigarette before taking off, thus allowing the H to sit for 5 minutes, or so. Then I took of and had a good flight.

I was thinking afterwards, though. I was standing on a site that had been dumped on for a number of years so absolutely anything could have been under my feet. Food for thought!

I've had similar issues as the OP and I definitely think it's related to the power lines in my backyard (at least for me). They are nearly right overhead and I don't have to go too far to be free from the error messages. It had me spooked for a while because I had just finished a self repair job after its first crash and I thought there was something more significant wrong with it than just mechanical issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace