Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Waypoints

I have not even flown the PixAero yet. Too **** cold to play outside;). Couple feet of snow, freezing rain, and temps in the single digits. I'm hibernating.

As for overlap, typically you try for about a 60%/40% overlap for geo work, I don't know what's needed for pano shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat your spoiled by those mild west coast temps...lol For me I finally going to fly this afternoon as temps are finally above "**** froze over"in Minnesota.
Tree be aware that obstacle avoidance doesn't work if you use curved cable cam

Yep... got none of the ugly weather here this week... but I was in Buffalo for 35 years so I know all about hibernating.

2.5" of ice on my sidewalk this morning from freezing rain. Ice *** at the bottom of the gate that stopped it from opening. Couldn't get into the car because of an ice sheet 3/8" thick covering everything. Would have been a neat ice sculpture if I could have backed the truck out from under it. The roads were slicker than oil on glass.

Minnesota is definitely out of the running for me:)

Reactions: CHO
Pat your spoiled by those mild west coast temps...lol For me I finally going to fly this afternoon as temps are finally above "**** froze over"in Minnesota.
Tree be aware that obstacle avoidance doesn't work if you use curved cable cam

Thanks for that tip too. I will be doing a lot of practice in open fields and on a simulator before I start in with this plant and our other plants. Luckily there is no rush to get the project done, only me wanting to get it started. I can do a lot of practice at the new site we acquired because it will be some time before they start doing demo. They have to rip out about 85,000 sq ft of concrete and replace with reinforced concrete. In some places 2 feet of concrete.

Crappy weather in Ohio too. How resistant is a Typhoon to weather? Is a misty light drizzle ok to fly in?

If your useing this for bussiness ( it may have already been bought up) you are going to need to get an FAA part 107 and with that you have to have 3 mile visablity so that would rule out flying in a mist or drizzle. I would never fly in bad weather..lol

If your useing this for bussiness ( it may have already been bought up) you are going to need to get an FAA part 107 and with that you have to have 3 mile visablity so that would rule out flying in a mist or drizzle. I would never fly in bad weather..lol

Thanks for that. I am going to be studying for FAA 107 and plan to have my license before I start this project.

That should the people that say" the FAAhas no authority or can't enforce their drone rules" think twice

No!

Oh, please do work on that 107. Though you're not in the same league as the folks in the media release, the FAA is getting serious about this stuff.

The FAA just settled one of the biggest drone lawsuits ever

And regarding the government? They are a bunch of money grubbing whores usually. With the above linked case, there were no accidents, no one was harmed. The company had a perfect track record for safety. But the FAA found that during a small window of time, that this company dared fly a drone and shot some footage without government approval. So, they tried slapping a nearly 2 million dollar fine on them, you know because, well because, they didn't ask permission. The company got it whittled down to $200,000 but, the FAA wasn't interested in a fine. They were trying to destroy the company.

I follow the law, and I plan on getting my 107 license, but we have too many laws in this country. So many in fact that the DOJ tried doing a study just a few years ago to list all the laws in The US which carry punitive sentencing. They had to abandon the study, because there were just too many, and discovered that in The US, if every law were enforced, every single American would have a criminal record.

That being said, I will get my FAA Drone License, for what effectively is for a "Big Toy" that can only fly for 20 minutes at a time. Sorry to get a little political, but most people are not out there causing mayhem and mischief with their drones, especially the more expensive ones. Irresponsible pilots make everyone look bad, but I believe most pilots are very responsible. Some are inexperienced, but you have to fly to gain experience.

BUT the drones do fly in the air and there are many examples of people flying drones up thousnads of feet into commercial airspace and it's because of those people that the FAA was forced to do something for safty before one of those idiots brings down a comercial flight killing many people

I agree with you but until people become active and form a group that can and will "lobby" politicians things won't change. Some of us tried that and formed a group to gather members for that purpose. The problem is that kind of work requires time and travel. A lot of both. They cost money that I personally don't have in the quantities necessary to both promote our work and support my family. Getting people to join something for free is easy, especially if they get something for the nothing they spend on it. Getting them to pay for those benefits is a completely different matter, especially when the results of the efforts are slow in delivery because of a political process that has to be followed.

The AMA is a good example. They have a couple hundred thousand members to support a hobby organization. They provide a secondary insurance policy that forms the primary basis for many to join. Doesn't matter that it is secondary and only pays in the event no other personal insurance covers, it's still liability, injury and theft insurance. People complain about the annual dues, but they pay. The only reason a hobbyist can fly higher than 400' is due to the AMA. The only reason a hobbyist does not have to obtain an FAA waiver is because of the AMA. A hobbyist can even fly at night without first being blessed by the FAA. The AMA spent a lot of money sending people to Washington and attending meetings. The rules we have today impacting what we do kicked off with meetings in 2007, taking to 2012 with one set of rules and 2016 for another to get what we have now. It cost a lot of money to have people in attendance and meeting behind the scenes with other power players.

Trade organizations can do a whole lot of good if people joined them, supported them, and let them do their work. I could start the ACUAS up again right now and would if I thought there was a chance in Hades I could fund the operation and retain the right people. At this point in time there is still no organization representing multirotor operators. Sure, there's the AUVSI and sUAV Coalition but their concern is only for the big businesses and high end parts makers. Nobody is there for the little guy. Nobody.

BTW, Trappy Pirker went free after all his exploits through cities and college campuses but that freedom came at a price. A couple years worth of pro bono representation from DJI's current corporate attorney and a $10k fine without admission of guilt. The feds own ALL of the airspace and the only way to deal with that is to establish the means to carve portions of it up for use leveraging the FAA's standards to be used as permissions. With nobody looking out for the professional operators there's nobody speaking the right language to the FAA. Hobbyists are covered as long as their interests align with those of the AMA.

Last edited:
I agree with you but until people become active and form a group that can and will "lobby" politicians things won't change. Some of us tried that and formed a group to gather members for that purpose. The problem is that kind of work requires time and travel. A lot of both. They cost money that I personally don't have in the quantities necessary to both promote our work and support my family. Getting people to join something for free is easy, especially if they get something for the nothing they spend on it. Getting them to pay for those benefits is a completely different matter, especially when the results of the efforts are slow in delivery because of a political process that has to be followed.

The AMA is a good example. They have a couple hundred thousand members to support a hobby organization. They provide a secondary insurance policy that forms the primary basis for many to join. Doesn't matter that it is secondary and only pays in the event no other personal insurance covers, it's still liability, injury and theft insurance. People complain about the annual dues, but they pay. The only reason a hobbyist can fly higher than 400' is due to the AMA. The only reason a hobbyist does not have to obtain an FAA waiver is because of the AMA. A hobbyist can even fly at night without first being blessed by the FAA. The AMA spent a lot of money sending people to Washington and attending meetings. The rules we have today impacting what we do kicked off with meetings in 2007, taking to 2012 with one set of rules and 2016 for another to get what we have now. It cost a lot of money to have people in attendance and meeting behind the scenes with other power players.

Trade organizations can do a whole lot of good if people joined them, supported them, and let them do their work. I could start the ACUAS up again right now and would if I thought there was a chance in Hades I could fund the operation and retain the right people. At this point in time there is still no organization representing multirotor operators. Sure, there's the AUVSI and sUAV Coalition but their concern is only for the big businesses and high end parts makers. Nobody is there for the little guy. Nobody.

BTW, Trappy Pirker went free after all his exploits through cities and college campuses but that freedom came at a price. A couple years worth of pro bono representation from DJI's current corporate attorney and a $10k fine without admission of guilt. The feds own ALL of the airspace and the only way to deal with that is to establish the means to carve portions of it up for use leveraging the FAA's standards to be used as permissions. With nobody looking out for the professional operators there's nobody speaking the right language to the FAA. Hobbyists are covered as long as their interests align with those of the AMA.

Thank you for this post. I really enjoyed reading it, and I could tell it was heart felt.

Since we are talking about FAA 107 licenses. I am sure some of you fine folks here, could point me to some free study resources. I saw some programs that I would have to pay for, and might at some time, but I'd like to get my feet wet first with some free materials. When I arrange for the test, I will probably do it through Kent, Ohio.

Everything you need can be downloaded for free at the FAA website. Aviation Weather and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are two books that cover it all except for the 107 law text. All of that is free for those that choose to learn about and know the system instead of memorizing a test answer.

Everything you need can be downloaded for free at the FAA website. Aviation Weather and Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are two books that cover it all except for the 107 law text. All of that is free for those that choose to learn about and know the system instead of memorizing a test answer.

Thank You

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33