Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Guys? Talk me down?

Reaction score
I bought a Typhoon H Pro w/ Intel Realsense last week. Amazon totally botched up the order (they didn't ship it). After several frustrating rounds w/ their support, someone called me and I was given a deep discount if I replaced the order. So I did, and now it is on its way!

So here's the thing. I'm having second thoughts. I have several drones, mostly crappy learning drones that I've used over the last 1.5 years to teach myself, however I do also have a P3P (I use a iPad air 2 and AutoPilot).

The reason I looked to the Typhoon H Pro were several.

• The Intel RealSense
• The retractable landing gear.
• The 360° gimbal.
• It just looks like more of a tool rather than a toy (no offense DJI)

Now I'm panicking a little. I'm thinking that maybe this is a little too advanced for my skill level. There is P4P for package for that rings in at $100 less than the Typhoon (prior to my discount from Amazon).

Here are both packages for comparison:

Yuneec Typhoon H Pro with Intel RealSense Technology - 2 Batteries, ST16 Controller, Soft Backpack and Wizard.

P4P includes the Phantom 4 Pro package, plus 2 DJI Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Battery, Multi Charger Hub For DJI Phantom 4 Intelligent Flight Batteries, Aluminum Carrying Case for Foam Case, Landing Gear Stabilizers (Black)

So I guess my question is, to any of you more experienced pilots: How big is the learning curve moving from a P3P to the Typhoon H Pro?

You'll be fine. If you have the P3P it's not much different. Example the Typhoon H is my first drone and I've had no issues whats so ever. The controller is what most people I know say looks scary but I think you'll be fine. I personally think its easier to get going then the Phantom using a phone or tablet. Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Cheers

Since you're asking, I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.

I would not worry about a DJI-to-Yuneec learning curve being more than you can handle. Yes, the interfaces are different and there is no comparison between the controllers, but the basics remain the same, really. I was faced with the same question you are facing, and I went for the Typhoon for many of the positive reasons you cited, with the exception of the RealSense tech, which is great but not the best. If having great OA is a main concern to you, then nothing that I know of beats DJI's Mavic Pro in that department in this price range of drones, which I also fly.

However, my Typhoon H does not take a backseat to any other drone, and so I happily use mine routinely. In my opinion it's a wonderfully engineered machine, reliable, very capable, and just a pleasure to fly. I'm one of those "It's not just the destination, it's the journey" kind of guys, and using the Typhoon to capture great images is a nice journey to be on.

There is something to be said for the elegant way it handles, its build, how it operates,and even how it appears in flight. In closer situations and in tight spaces, something as simple as the H's multicolored rotor lights help out tremendously in establishing and maintaining precise fore and aft, right and left orientations once you get the colors down in your head. Even at a great distance or in darker conditions those lights come in very handy. The ST16 controller is very intuitive and powerful, easy to read and operate, and with everything right at your fingertips. Learning to properly own and pilot a Typhoon H just requires time reading the manuals, watching some of the tons of YouTube videos out there on every detail and aspect of the H, and then FOLLOWING what you have learned every time you take the Typhoon to the air.

I wouldn't recommend the Typhoon as someone's first intro into drones. But with prior drone experience and the desire to branch out and try something new with some fantastic features and capabilities, you cannot go wrong with getting a Typhoon H.

Good luck.

Since you're asking, I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.

I would not worry about a DJI-to-Yuneec learning curve being more than you can handle. Yes, the interfaces are different and there is no comparison between the controllers, but the basics remain the same, really. I was faced with the same question you are facing, and I went for the Typhoon for many of the positive reasons you cited, with the exception of the RealSense tech, which is great but not the best. If having great OA is a main concern to you, then nothing that I know of beats DJI's Mavic Pro in that department in this price range of drones, which I also fly.

However, my Typhoon H does not take a backseat to any other drone, and so I happily use mine routinely. In my opinion it's a wonderfully engineered machine, reliable, very capable, and just a pleasure to fly. I'm one of those "It's not just the destination, it's the journey" kind of guys, and using the Typhoon to capture great images is a nice journey to be on.

There is something to be said for the elegant way it handles, its build, how it operates,and even how it appears in flight. In closer situations and in tight spaces, something as simple as the H's multicolored rotor lights help out tremendously in establishing and maintaining precise fore and aft, right and left orientations once you get the colors down in your head. Even at a great distance or in darker conditions those lights come in very handy. The ST16 controller is very intuitive and powerful, easy to read and operate, and with everything right at your fingertips. Learning to properly own and pilot a Typhoon H just requires time reading the manuals, watching some of the tons of YouTube videos out there on every detail and aspect of the H, and then FOLLOWING what you have learned every time you take the Typhoon to the air.

I wouldn't recommend the Typhoon as someone's first intro into drones. But with prior drone experience and the desire to branch out and try something new with some fantastic features and capabilities, you cannot go wrong with getting a Typhoon H.

Good luck.

Thank you. Trying to research and learn about the unit. I'll probably have it Tuesday, probably won't fly it until the weekend (if I don't chicken out and return it without even opening the shipping carton).

Okay. I'll bite, why should I not use the SMART mode?

Just read about and understand how it works first. There's nothing wrong with using Smart mode aside from being ignorant of how it functions, and the requirements imposed when using it. Most that complain of it bought an H, didn't learn anything about it first, threw it into the air, and didn't know squat about the Smart Circle or the distance separation from the operator requirement.

It gets old reading about people blaming the aircraft or system for their inability to read or follow instructions. Smart mode is a very useful tool for those that understand how it works. Those that use it without understanding it have no one else to blame but themselves if something goes wrong. We have a fairly complex system with the H, no more so than a Phantom, and it behooves the operator to at least read the fast start pamphlet before flying. If the print is too small it can be downloaded as a PDF file from Yuneec and expanded to suit our visual needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hatefullyemployed
I bought my first drone about a month ago and it was the Typhoon H. I've had nothing but spectacular results and no issues what so ever. However, I will say that I'm not a fan of the interaction with the camera tilt slider but I'll learn. I have yet to use the drone in smart mode other than testing the preprogrammed features. Even when my Typhoon has blended into the surrounding mountains all you have to do is look on your screen and the green arrow will help turn the drone around so you know it's coming back to you. But you could also use smart mode but they say to learn angle mode as quickly as possible so I just jumped right in.

This may help with your understanding of the Typhoon H as a first time owner coming from DJI.

Gotta say, out of ALL of the videos I viewed and used to get up and going with my Typhoon H, the most reliable, professional, and informative ones I found came from Captaindrone. His are the ones I made a point to bookmark and still sometimes refer to. His videos always explained just what I needed to know concisely, in layman's terms, and without undue hyperbole. Hats off to you, Captaindrone, for your great contributions to this interest which all of us share in enjoyimg.

I bought my first drone about a month ago and it was the Typhoon H. I've had nothing but spectacular results and no issues what so ever. However, I will say that I'm not a fan of the interaction with the camera tilt slider but I'll learn. I have yet to use the drone in smart mode other than testing the preprogrammed features. Even when my Typhoon has blended into the surrounding mountains all you have to do is look on your screen and the green arrow will help turn the drone around so you know it's coming back to you. But you could also use smart mode but they say to learn angle mode as quickly as possible so I just jumped right in.

my truck monocoat and put on my bird fluorescent green and front and red in the back. Helps with visual orientation at a distance

Capt. Another one of your great videos, it should be very helpful to a lot of people especially those flying for the first time.

New pilots. Read the manual look at such great videos about the H from several sources on the web. Great infrormational videos from folks like Capt Drone and Chris Sr. And Chris Jr. At terrestrial imaging can get you up and going and keep you going

Don't be afraid of any UAV be aware of what it can and can not do and respect it

Enjoy your flights

With RS make sure you understand how it works. If you engage it facing you and your to close it will dart away from you and if you in smart mode it will always face the direction of forward flight accept with curve cable cam where it does not work at all. Many that do not understand how it works think they're having a fly away when it just working the way it should

The one thing you notice immediately about the H is how quiet it is in the air. That was a big reason for me to jump from the Phantom to Yuneec. Quiet, smooth and handles wind better than anything I've seen.

Gotta say, out of ALL of the videos I viewed and used to get up and going with my Typhoon H, the most reliable, professional, and informative ones I found came from Captaindrone. His are the ones I made a point to bookmark and still sometimes refer to. His videos always explained just what I needed to know concisely, in layman's terms, and without undue hyperbole. Hats off to you, Captaindrone, for your great contributions to this interest which all of us share in enjoyimg.
Thanks! I appreciate that greatly.

Reactions: GRH and CC Rider
Capt. Another one of your great videos, it should be very helpful to a lot of people especially those flying for the first time.

New pilots. Read the manual look at such great videos about the H from several sources on the web. Great infrormational videos from folks like Capt Drone and Chris Sr. And Chris Jr. At terrestrial imaging can get you up and going and keep you going

Don't be afraid of any UAV be aware of what it can and can not do and respect it

Enjoy your flights

Thank you sir! The Typhoon H is such a great drone for beginners since everything you need is included to get you up and flying immediately at a great price. It is also one of those drones that as your pilot/drone/camera skills increase, the Typhoon H keeps up with you so you really never outgrow it.

Reactions: Steve Carr and PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio