Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Happy wih your Typhoon H (pro or advanced) ?

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my H advanced. Not the Pro. And without the realsense module.
i only had one problem due to a bad Firmware update on the ST16
And i solved it with the install of a new firmare version.
Otherwise no problems
I like flying with H more then flying with my DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

You almost never hear about users that are happy with their multicopter.
Only bad things are mentionned in this forum

Hope to hear from other users that are happy with the H

I guess the H IS ok...
Very happy with most features and enjoy fling it compared to My first drone the P2Ver 3+ which at the time was the
best drone at that time. ( I still fly it but the TH is eons better)
I got my TH last May and had problems
and after 2 months of going back and forth with Yuneec they sent me a New in Box unit.
Its worked great since and have provided me with over 150 flights with no major problems.

I have never used my wizzard wand, although I at first thought it would be a great asset.

I really like flying the H and all its features
the only thing I am disappointed in is its range.
I have a friend who has a P3 and can go 2+ MILES and was hoping for the same after reading the specs.
Comparing the two, THIS IS MY BIGGEST Disappointment!

The best feature of The Typhoon H is the ST16 transmitter !
I like the look and the balance compared the the P2-3 with the add on Ipad.
all of the Tele data and internal features work great and above all is a very professional looking unit.
The display shows me any info I need to know.
Minor complaint is I wish the layout of the data could be rearranged, just because I am used to layout feature of my other RC controller displays

I like every thing the H does and thought it would provide more possibilities but even thought Yuneec is slowly
adding more features with firmware updates, I was hoping for more.
I look forward to more add on features with its Modular design, like what the SOLO was supposed to have.

I am still waiting for my Mavic and like a lot of it published features but probably my expatiations will be disappointing
after focusing review problems.
If I could get a Typhoon H with the Mavic Features and Range, and it's capabilities in a Typhoon H with the Yuneec ST16 controller I would be ecstatic !

Bottom line is that the H is a very stout unit and can do a lot and is a lot of fun to fly and can get great video.
I play with the PANO and have interesting photos posted to facebook, but it is not anything worthy of income potential
I never have used any of the "SMART" features, as I can get what ever I need in Angle mod.
RTH home is a feature that is invaluable and works flawlessly and I depend and use it all the time!

TUNA has spent a lot of time with his Toolbox APP and adds great features to the H's possibilities which Yuneec should have provided with Updates, ( I hope Yuneec takes his programs and compensates him and adds his features to their updates !)

I like the portability of the Mavic, but I also like the strong form factor and professional look of the Typhoon H and ST16
YOMY, but this is my opinion !

I love my H.
Yes I had some glitches with one of the firmware releases, and one brick during a firmware update. Yuneec took care of both cases. For me it has been a very stable and reliable aircraft. Soon as it warms up, I want to hook my Wizard to my RC glider and see if she can follow her around. (plan on doing this at a AMA field). I smile every time I fly it. Only complaint is lack of a good computer to edit the video on. My old windows 7 computers just take forever.
Some of the new photo modes are really great.
As the old saying goes "It is what it is". For me it was money well spent, but then I do not put expectations on it that it was never designed to meet.

Mine continues to be a complete pleasure to fly. It's rock solid and stable, and does everything I ask of it.

The ST-16 is a highlight, and I hope the upcoming SDK means I'll be able to do more with it.

The panorama feature is excellent. The biggest limitation is that I don't have the time to get to interesting places at the right time of day to take the photos I wish I could take!

I've done all of the firmware upgrades, with only one problem that Yuneec quickly fixed. I now have three batteries, which is enough for most of the flying I do.

The hardware has stood up to most punishment - except for an occasional whine from the ST-16 fan, and a broken Obstacle Avoid switch which I need to replace (entirely my fault).

If I had to add 'feature requests', it would probably be a network port on the ST-16 so you could do some interesting shared control / telemetry / camera tricks with a laptop. It would also be helpful if some of the specs for the hardware and software were more freely available. I'm convinced there are some cool things that could be done with the gimbal mount, and would like to see if the Realsense Module can be made to do other tricks.

Reactions: Freight and Graham
I have one of the first batch to go on sale in the UK and am delighted with it. I haven't found it necessary to make any mods and it's completely stock. I have done all the firmware updates shortly after their release.

The only issues I've had were due to a firmware update, since corrected, and toppling over on landing due to pilot error. It flies beautifully and is completely steady despite what the wind might be doing. I am happy with the range as it is better than the 500m LOS regulation of the UK.

I have confidence in mine and regularly fly over ground and water to film places I can't get to. Sometimes I potter about at very low speeds using cruise control and enjoy the smoothness of the flight but have also had her up to 60 with GPS off several times.

The gimbal is superb and on video, the horizon is consistently level. I find the camera very good and enjoy taking 2-layer panos and low level video. I do get the camera losing connection and resetting to auto regularly.

CCC is awesome and orbit excellent. I find RTH reliable and accurate and enjoy Smart mode. I learned to fly on a 350QX which has Smart and I can make the Typhoon fly like its dancing in Smart. Tuna's app is a great addition.

Would I buy another if I lost this one? You bet. I might just get the 540 as well for longer flight times.

Reactions: pracownik
I like my standard/advanced unit enough that I bought a second one to have as a back up.

I'm new to the Typhoon and copters on general thought I have a long history with RC model aircraft. Today I took my third flight with my Typhoon H Real Sense and it went accompanied by a cloud full of OOOHs and AAAAHs from many family and friends that watched. I still have a lot to learn especially with regard to the Real Sense and OBS but at this point I am walking on air. This is something I have been dreaming about since I was 12 yrs old (50 years ago!).I hope to be more proficient in the near future perhaps with the help of a tutor that can teach me the fine in's and out's.

Reactions: Freight and Rayray
Mine continues to be a complete pleasure to fly. It's rock solid and stable, and does everything I ask of it.

I couldn't have put it better myself. I got my H last year and I think it was one of the first batch to hit the shores 'down under'. I've had no issues at all with my H and still get that 'warm fuzzy' feeling each time I go out to fly it.

Reactions: Rayray
Firstly - What a great idea for a post !
There are so many somewhat negative posts on here it great to have some positive ones.....

So got my H Pro with RS in January here in the UK.
Spent the first 2 days reading the manual and reading posts on here, many good ones tbh !
My first flight saw me trembling with fear, expecting my H to fly off never to be seen again !
But No No No No - this thing is fantastic !
Super stable, and super responsive and super super cool !
I have no issues what so ever with my H apart from one pilot error ! and yes we all do it !
Have not looked much and the camera aspects yet, am keen to learn to fly my H with confidence before getting into the video and photography side.
My Skills are progressing well and confidence is growing, every time I land my H after a successful flight I still get that tingle of excitement running through my body !
Have not used Smart mode at all, went straight into Angle mode and its a joy !
The RTH function works perfectly every time for me, just make sure you have enough satellites before you take off !
My only gripe is flight times, I am only getting around 13mins per battery, that might be down to the cold weather here in the UK - but having said that I am flying around at top speed most of the time ! ! !

Last note - Have just started playing around with RS.... this is just something else, totally amazing, another +++ for the H.

Don't be put off by some off the posts on here...... Just Go Buy a Typhoon H !

I bought my TH back in May. It is my first GPS camera drone. I have flown small gyro stabilized drones and R/C helicopters, airplane and racing boats for years. The TH has performed beyond expectations! I love taking aerial video and am continually amazed at the quality of the 4k images. I've crashed it twice (my own fault each time). With the help of VertigoDrones and Yuneec, the repairs were successful. My only regret is the awful weather we've been having in the Pacific Northwest. Nice days have been few and far between. Wait! The rain has stopped and the sun is shining right now. What am I doing inside on the forum?

How well I understand your lament about the PNW weather. When your working hours start and end in the dark and your time off is occluded with rain or snow the opportunities to fly are few and far between.

Love it. Fantastic package. Brilliant.

Spent a few years building kits working up through all the aspects of the technology and experience required to have a flying drone with 4k video, FPV live view, good controller, range and reliability. After every outing a bit more tinkering or outright repair was necessary.

Finally just bought a complete package with the TH and Realsense (for the RTH with obstacles in the way). Now I just fly. Well, that introduced a separate issue of what do I do when watching sports on Sunday as I do miss the smell of the solder iron.

Seriously, all I ever wanted to do was just fly FPV and explore the beautiful coast and inlets in the SF Bay area; the Typhoon H has given that to me. No excuses any more.

Journey far and fare well!

I also love mine! These forums need to be taken with a pinch of salt at times. For a while horror stories on here put me on edge every time I flew, but now I realise that it's such a minority of people and Yuneec UK take such good care of people (and have been knowledgable when I've rung and asked questions) that I really needn't worry.

My main issue is the camera disconnect when raising the landing gear on EU firmware. As I'm becoming a commercial operator, I need to stay on the correct legal firmware, but it is annoying when it disconnects just after take-off and have to re-connect and re-setup camera settings. I wish it saved the settings or you could set up 'profiles'. I also have two ST16's for dual operator, but if the landing gear causes a disconnect team mode becomes disabled and you have to land to re-enable and re-bind. I am considering getting Yuneec UK to do the external antenna mod to keep warranty intact and hopefully limit this issue.

Flight characteristics are amazing, so smooth with GPS disabled, and the Gimbal is just incredible, perfect horizons every time and I've never bothered calibrating it as it's always just worked perfectly.

I also have a Mavic on the way, but it's purely for portability reasons to take decent footage when I go away without taking extra bags. The Typhoon will be my go-to commercial machine as it looks serious and pro with the ST16, has redundancy and I'm perfectly happy with the image quality.

Well done Yuneec!

My main issue is the camera disconnect when raising the landing gear on EU firmware. ...<Snip>...
That's my main issue aswell. Like you, I am a commercial operator so I too need to stay legal.

On average, I expect a camera disconnect in something like 1 in 4 flights. I'm currently using the firmware update that became available in November 2016. Prior to updating with the Nov 16 firmware It was taking an extraordinary amount to time to connect the camera and it was an instance where it took over half a hour to connect that finally prompted me to update.

I'm very pleased with my "H" Pro. It's a pleasure to fly. If I had to pick a negative, it would be the last couple of firmware updates seem to have set the sharpening on the camera too high. Overall, though, I'm very happy and glad I purchased it.

I love mine. **** thing is very stable in the wind. I bought a standard, and have since upgraded it to a Pro. I have flown it inside in industrial buildings using IPS, and over lakes, and forests, and have had really no issues with it, but my inexperience at times, which I just have to stop and think for a minute to resolve. Most of this is due to flying it out pretty far and just not being sure of orientation.
I liked the unit so much I purchased a 2nd batter, Real Sense and got an FPV headset.

I am still flying with that last version firmware, not the current version.

You can adjust the camera sharpness through the camera WiFi and your web browser. The following was provided to me by Mickeyboo, who obtained it from another esteemed gentleman at another forum. It works.

"The H comes set at 5 or 6...I've found you can get better results by setting it to 8. This was a tip posted by Flyingjunkie. It basically applying the sort of sharpening you can
do in post production. Strong vertical lines like wheat fields would not need as high a number while other content like glaciers would benefit from higher sharpening...in other words setting how much you should sharpen is contingent on content."

This next part requires the H system be powered up.

"Are you using a Mac or PC...? I assume you're working on a wireless network.
Go to where you choose a wireless network...the network you're looking for is
"CO3+" choose that network if it asks for password that is 1234567890 once you have camera network initiate the first command to see what number it's set at....then I close out and reopen the web browser up again and issue command for actual number I want..."

{"rval":0, "msg_id":"336","sharpness":"6" }

Re-set

{"rval":0, "msg_id":"336","sharpness":"8" }

Some other possible dialog shown below.

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=0

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=5

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=10

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=SET_SHARPNESS&value=8

Last edited:
Reactions: rdonson
Bought mine in October 2016 after a very short stint with the Autel XSP (which is a great drone), I just wanted more and the H pro was the one for me. Due to weather and work I haven't managed as many hours flying as I'd hoped but the weather is improving and longer days are here.

The H is very stable and responsive, the speed slider is a great function and the 360' pan camera can make for some great footage while manoeuvring.

The ST16 is very nice, especially after the issues of incompatibility I had with my Autel XSP and a number of Tablets, but I really must buy the lanyard for it --- why not included any more YUNEEC?

The only things I would wish for from the H would be longer flight times and quicker camera connection to the ST16!

Enjoy

I'm very happy with my H. Everyone who sees my footage is stunned by the quality first then they notice the stability. I don't care about speed or distance for what I shoot which is mostly the natural desert and the amazing shadow contrasts during golden hours. I need stability in hover and no jello during descending shots and the H delivers every time. I believe the future is in understanding that you have a 3D camera dolly and being able to do creative tracking shots is an employable skill. The H is "pro" enough that a crew and extra monitors make it a viable indie filming tool. I'm learning shadow angles and camera settings as flying is becoming very natural and dare I say it, almost relaxing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech