Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Has anyone experienced a fly-away with H Pro?

Well - seems to be common problem on this platform.
I'm really disappointed.
I'm on RC for about 10 years already (formerly mostly on fixed wing) and have build some autonomous systems based on Ardupilot 2.6 and Ublox NEO 5/6 receivers (GPS Navstar).
And even if community says Ardupilot is not so stable, I still have ALL my planes in my garage, while this one (Typhoon H) decided to run away on its 5th flight...

On the other hand this device is/was considered to be semiprofessional product that should be highly reliable.
I cannot imagine now flying above people doing some aerial video nor flying over the sea ...
It Yuneec Typhoon H was the concurrent to the Phantom 4, sorry saying so, but Phantom appears to be much more reliable even if having 4 rotors only.

Polish distributor told me I'm 3rd person experiencing this problem (they don't sell them much, about 50 sets total).
So this seems to be some general design/implementation problem, not an isolated one...

Regards,

Piotr

P.S. The telemetry logs from the crash are located here - any help in analyzing would be appreciated:
Typhoon H - Google Drive

Don't kid yourself on, the phantoms still fly away so this isn't a yuneec unique problem.

I didn't do that, because at least if it has GPS on and auto lands itself or crashes somewhere I can pull the telemetry out of the remote and see where it was when it landed/crashed. Plus if I'm not mistaken doesn't RTH function stop working when GPS is off??

I did think of turning it off, but no I didn't turn it off, it may be the only reason it did come back and land.
You're correct on all. RTH won't work without GPS. You would only turn it off long enough to see if you could regain control. When you turn off GPS, it's actually still working. It just tells the flight controller to not use the signal. It continues to track sats, so if you turn it right back on again you should have immediate GPS control. It doesn't have to re-acquire the sats. I have not tried this, but it might actually continue to log position with the GPS off. Guess it would be an interesting test to check the flight log after it's turned off.

I went ahead and called yuneec, to gather their input. They told me one of the biggest reasons for fly sways is KP index (global geomagnetic storm index) is high and to make sure to check it before flying. And after reading into it, to make sure to never fly if the KP index is above 4. This, solar flares and over cast are all culprits of fly sways which are causing loss of GPS lock during flight. I'm looking to see if there's an app for reporting what the current KP index is and I believe this would be extremely useful. Especially if crafts can fly away when levels are high. I've recalibrated the unit but it's raining today so no way to test it. I'll keep up on posts after I test again

I found an app it's called 'solar sphere' and it gives the KP index right when u open it. Simply go into App Store and search for KP index and it pops up. It's showing currently KP index is 5 and going to 6 (on a scale from 0-9 0 is lowest and 9 being extreme)

I use an app named K-index lite. Small and easy to use.
I also use two other apps, compass 360 pro and bubble level. One for North when doing the dance and one for a level takeoff spot.
All are free

I went ahead and called yuneec, to gather their input. They told me one of the biggest reasons for fly sways is KP index (global geomagnetic storm index) is high and to make sure to check it before flying. And after reading into it, to make sure to never fly if the KP index is above 4. This, solar flares and over cast are all culprits of fly sways which are causing loss of GPS lock during flight. I'm looking to see if there's an app for reporting what the current KP index is and I believe this would be extremely useful. Especially if crafts can fly away when levels are high. I've recalibrated the unit but it's raining today so no way to test it. I'll keep up on posts after I test again

According to the recent statement of the Polish Yuneec distributor, the reason for flyaways was overheating IMU by Intel. They replaced my drone with new (refreshed version) that has air intakes not covered with some material and my TH behaves stable now. Regarding KP factor - you're partially right - it does have some impact on GPS accuracy, mostly via changing Ionic-sphere signal delay and Ephemeris effect (solar wind is able to push satellites away from where they are expected to be) but in no case this may lead to the inaccuracy about 400m as here some fly-awayers presented until we're talking about KP>10 that may destroy all electronic devices in the world (this actually happened once in the early XXs, thankfully before digital era).
I work research/science on GPS/Glonass/Beidu/Gallileo systems and have reference GPS receiver (Septentrio) located on the top roof of my university building - can ensure you that positioning error for last couple of years since we've started observation, in good visibility condition may not exceed 150m even with old-generation 8 channel devices.

Surely, everyone should be aware of the KP level and possible GPS drift/inaccuracy but in case drone flies away 400m this is definitely not due to the solar activity.
Here you can track historical KP level: Space Weather Archive and verify if your fly-away was during high or low KP. Mine was on KP=2, nothing special actually.
So what I blame Yuneec for is poor design and trying to fool their customers afterwards.

Best regards,

P.

I had mine fly away today.

Scared the crap outa me. I took it for a test flight after it had been repaired for an unrelated incident.
This was first flight with first battery.
My remote started going crazy at me for 'compass calibration'. I use this for work so I had picked up a second H in case one does something like this and I'm not left without anything for like 4 weeks.
Also this is not the real sense system so u are all aware
(My other unit has been perfect for over 100 flights)

I had purchased 6 extra batteries so I can do a lot of flying in locations all over in short time. And also I put on long range antennas and thank god I did because I could still see the camera and it kept connected to the controller. It flew 5,000' away on its own FTH function didn't work UNTIL battery went low and then it just flew back and landed, and thank god also I took it to 200' up before things went bad. As I was totally helpless with the unit. I'm going to be recalibrating everything and going to a wide open area to try again tomorrow. So (not sure if it's the fix or not) but I'm going to be recalibrating a lot more often to see if this fixes this issue.

When it returned to home on its own I was able to control the landing of it.

When it took off on me it was in angle mode. And I kept it there. But nothing seemed to work. It was like someone took over it's flight and stole it. All I could do is see thru the camera where it was joy riding to. By act of God it did ultimately come back, the scare was aweful as I didn't want to hit somebody or something with it. I'll post a follow up after recalibrating and I pray this is the fix. I can see this being a bad idea on the purchase of it if it does this again.

Wish me luck

Hi THenry,

Did you do a compass calibration pre-test flight?

I know it's a right hassle some times but I'd recommend always re-calibrating after F/W upgrades (both ST14 and TH) and certainly after any H/W changes or repair.

Cheers.

Although the CS is great at Yuneec, and I love the TH, it is disappointing with the problems over the last three months. My first H flew awesome, had great range, strong and stable, just no features with the first release. Then after the first FW update I lost signal 700 feet out and it went down in a swamp. Yuneec replaced the TH, then I had problems with GPS/Compass issues. The GPS module was replaced and finally the latest FW came out. I upgraded to Ver 25A. I calibrated the compass out in an open soccer field (no phone, no key fob, no watch, and the controller 30 feet away), let it sit for 15 minutes to ensure the GPS was completely update, and tested it. It was finally flying stable again. After two successful flights testing over the soccer field, I took it out to 3,000 ft to check the range and signal. Still no problems. Good Signal and Video. I brought it back and flew it at speeds testing maneuverability and control. All good. I finished for the day. Then Yesterday, I decided to do some maneuverability practice in front of my property. I live about 1/4 from the soccer field so did not feel a need to re-calibrate. I started with some hovering to check stability, there was a slight drift, and when I would move it forward 15-20 feet and stop there was a slight right curve when it stopped. I decided to bring it back and try re-calibrating again to correct it. The TH was facing away from me and I noticed a solid red light in the center of the blue came on. I returned it back to the driveway to land and as I was about 2 feet from the ground it took off rapidly to one side. I hit the control to try and stop with no response, it ran into a tree and fell on the edge of my roof, breaking one landing leg, one rotor arm, and the gimble slide. I called Yuneec and they have already sent me a RA and Shipping label. It will be on its way back today. I asked how long the turn-around is now for repairs and he stated their target is to have it repaired within 7 days. However, they have opened up more repair facilities so they are trying to shorten that time. I asked how many facilities they opened and he responded 5 more. He did say that those 5 are for non-warranty repairs. Warranty repairs will still go to the main location. I love this machine, prior to the first FW update, I completed several jobs and have some great video and pictures. I just hope this will be the final trip to the shop for repairs and it will return with good FW and properly functioning hardware. As those of you mentioned above, it is a terrifying feeling to watch your TH just fly away and be destroyed within seconds. - Fly Safe and Enjoy the Flight!

I note that this thread has been on the forum for 50 days now, and has only got to two pages, even with people replying to each other. It seems that the number of fly aways can't be that big.

When I started reading this I thought I was reading what I was writing yesterday I could relate to a lot of things that happened to you but you came off lucky and managed to get yours under control.

Flyway is a dirty word. I've had one and don't want to have another one. It took me 10 months to finally find my flyway drone not an H. Personally I think the technicians know what is happening to these drones to make them flyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis