Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Have You Had Problems With Cellphone Apps?

R

Rayray

I'm not trying to be a "The sky is falling" person, not overly paranoid (I hear a few voices, but that's normal).

Recently I saw a recommendation for a new free drone app, sounded useful so I went to Android Play Store to get it. As I was preparing to download it I checked the permissions it required. The first ones seemed OK, location, GPS, etc. Then on down it said cell phone activity, contacts, email and so on.

Contacts, email? For a drone flying app? Fa-getta-about it. NO WAY.
You guys ever get burned with apps?

Reactions: CC Rider
I always check the permission of the apps. I got a remote app for the television, sat receiver, dvd player, and home theater system. It wanted access to everything and wanted to store the information on "The Cloud". It never got installed. You do have to be careful with these B.S. permissions for unrelated to the normal function of a remote controlled item like a TV.
My factory remotes never asked for any permissions for access to anything other than fresh batteries.
So yes I have too many remotes setting on the coffee table.

Reactions: Rayray and CC Rider
I'm not trying to be a "The sky is falling" person, not overly paranoid (I hear a few voices, but that's normal).

Recently I saw a recommendation for a new free drone app, sounded useful so I went to Android Play Store to get it. As I was preparing to download it I checked the permissions it required. The first ones seemed OK, location, GPS, etc. Then on down it said cell phone activity, contacts, email and so
Contacts, email? For a drone flying app? Fa-getta-about it. NO WAY.
You guys ever get burned with apps?
I'm always dead careful with the permissions on Apps,If they are asking for stuff over and above what I'd reasonably expect for the app to properly function, then it gets ditched. Unsurprisingly, I don't have that many apps on my 'phone, but what I do have I feel I can fairly trust regarding security.

Reactions: Rayray and CC Rider
Watch out for 3rd Party apps on a Kindle Fire tablet. And look st the number of stars used to rate the app.

Jim,
New Yuneec Typhoon flier

Just remember... just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you... :eek:

I tried the App just a few days ago from the hobby shop. The App required permissions to info including access to my contact lists. Sorry, can't do it. This should have been addressed by the app developer by now. I don't think that there was evil intended with the app, just lazy (or no) code editing from some other applications template. I know that there are some permissions needed like a place to save data, usually in the camera/media folder but the other requests I do not understand. Feels like a trick. I'll reinstall the app when this is fixed. Oh, I brought home the wrong battery from the hobby shop so I have to go back - My wife says poor me! -M

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33