Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Heading indicator

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm desperately looking for a heading(bearing) indicator for the THP..... I'm looking all over the ST16 for that info and can't find it.... knowing the compass heading the craft is pointed at is critical to getting a job done? Any ideas?

Basically, the green arrow, in Angle Mode, tells you the direction to fly to bring the craft back to you. Note that with the top left ST16 switches up, the camera will face direction of travel. Also, if you turn on RTH, even for more than about 4-5 seconds, the craft will turn to face you.
Hope we have been some help...

There is no compass heading information on the ST16. Everything is based on the relative position of the H and the ST16 rather than compass points.
It might be worthwhile to explore the apps available to plan flights.
UAV Toolbox - Yuneec ST-16

You can also get heading information after the fact from the telemetry files (yaw field).

It is kinda strange there's no heading on the main ST16 display, though off the top of my head I can't think of what I'd use it for...

Reactions: Joneshd3488
You can also get heading information after the fact from the telemetry files (yaw field).

It is kinda strange there's no heading on the main ST16 display, though off the top of my head I can't think of what I'd use it for...
Only use I can think of is out of sight flight, which is naughty.
Green arrow brings it home if you lose it so its all we need.
I have flown by cam view before, in a deep quarry where it was impossible to see the H against the stone backdrop, worked very well.

Reactions: Joneshd3488
Hi Guys, I'm desperately looking for a heading(bearing) indicator for the THP..... I'm looking all over the ST16 for that info and can't find it.... knowing the compass heading the craft is pointed at is critical to getting a job done? Any ideas?

Perhaps if we understood exactly what you're trying to achieve, we could advise better. Are you flying beyond line of sight, or needing to fly a grid pattern or conducting survey work?

Reactions: Rayray
Only use I can think of is out of sight flight, which is naughty.
Green arrow brings it home if you lose it so its all we need.
I have flown by cam view before, in a deep quarry where it was impossible to see the H against the stone backdrop, worked very well.
Sometimes VLOS would only be straight up. On those occasions you rely on the tools at hand.

Reactions: mcbutler
Guys....

Thanks for your responses. So.. here's my application. We're currently evaluating the H for inspecting cell phone towers... in so doing, one thing that is very helpful is to fly above the tower, spin the craft and camera to due north (000) degrees, then face the camera straight down to analyze the angles of the antennas on the compass... knowing the craft was facing north, makes photo analysis, and antenna azimuth measurement easier. Hope that helps

Well...It sounds like you are not inspecting your own cell towers if you do not have the tower blueprint.

In visual line of sight, you can see which way the craft is turned, and a handy-dandy compass can show North. No?
BTW, don't get too close to an active tower or the H may suffer signal overload.

We have a contract to inspect but the blue prints are not always available by getting a bunch of people to cooperate quickly, which isn't always in the best timely interest of business. Secondly, what installers install in terms of angles isn't always the way people design it, thus the reason for the inspection. Of course there are other ways to get the heading as you suggest, as I've done. But that wasn't my question now. I know of other methods. I'm trying to get the heading from the H, quickly. It would save a bunch of time. Something that ought to be able to be delivered easily with a compass enabled airborne craft.

Thanks

Got it. As you've probably realized by now from the answers here, the TH at present does not provide compass headings.
Perhaps a higher-end craft is available...

I've sent you a message - I can probably provide all you need for cell inspection.

Thanks guys. Yes there is a microphone. Thanks Tuna will get in touch. Was hoping not to go with a competing product!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece