Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Helipad

Reaction score
I know I have seen mention of using a helipad to take off and land on.

Carpet or raised perforated pad?

A carpet will reduce dust clouds that may contaminate or damage the motors.

I prefer a the raised and perforated pad.
The logic being that it serves two main purposes:
i) reduces dust and grit getting into the motors
ii) reduces vortex or prop wash

Having said all this two questions. ... what do you use and, if home made, how?

I have been pondering what would serve me best.

Initially tried making a octagonal frame with pvc piping and stretching chicken wire across it
Tried half inch and then quarter inch. The 'feet' of the bird seem to like clinging to both sigh.
The frame seems a good idea but mine needs more work, method of fplding for instance to fit in the back of vehicle.

Another 'project' involved using a frame topped with peg board (hardboard with holes)
This works fine, need to improve my feet but they work, and at almost forty three inches wide is a reasonable size to set down on and, being octagonal, fits nicely between the wheel arches in the back of my Escape when folded.

I have pondered constructing something with a tennis racquet style weave made from fishing line or weed eater line. Just a notion at the moment.

Has anyone had any success in knocking something together?

I would be delighted to know.
If you care for details of my current pad just shout up.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS and Milt
Oh, here is the current attempt.

A piano hinge allows it to be folded after retracting the legs and drawer latches keep it closed.
The addition of a drawer handle allows it to be carried :)
The use of a "wind sock" allows me to always land into the wind.
Still a work in progress sigh.

upload_2016-6-7_20-31-18.png

I made a pad that is elevated. Has adjustable legs and made it out of Peg Board and painted it. Using one these platforms elevated off the ground like this will make you a better pilot. At least you will have to practice fine control of the bird to get it landed on that small area elevated off the ground. More chances of something going wrong during landing. Think about that.

I made a pad that is elevated. Has adjustable legs and made it out of Peg Board and painted it. Using one these platforms elevated off the ground like this will make you a better pilot. At least you will have to practice fine control of the bird to get it landed on that small area elevated off the ground. More chances of something going wrong during landing. Think about that.

I noticed that ...... scary at first, real scary.

Who would have thought it but that big pad seems to shrink when you try to land on it.

Still, practice makes perfect. So they say..

i didnt even think of this!
guess i will use the trampoline in the back yard for now until something portable comes along.

hi

this is just a simple mat you can buy at home depot ( 4 for $10. 00) just cut the inter lockers off . i also use it for compass calibration makes it a lot simpler to do . when i take off i keep the arrow pointing to north it seems to get more sats quicker . it light weight and fits under the yuneec carry case in the back of my auto .

fly safe .ARROW MAT.JPG

It's a good idea to have it face north for take off.
As you say it seems to acquire more Sats

I've seen the amount of dust it will kick up in a gravel patch or dry field so I like the idea of an elevated take off point.

The holes in the pad reduce the bounce on landing.

I use a Hoodman Landing Pad. I picked this one up at NAB in Las Vegas. View media item 91

I use a Hoodman Landing Pad. I picked this one up at NAB in Las Vegas. View media item 91
I thought I would weigh-in on the launching/landing pad...I made this one from a 1mtr round plastic patio table...it's not quite finished...I'm leaning towards cutting a 3" circle in the middle and then filling that with a piece of clear Lexan...then mount a solar deck light underneath for evening flights..I cut the legs, which just fit into pockets, down to 12"...fits great in the bed of my truck

Attachments

• launching pad.jpg
    launching pad.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval