Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Here we go..... Drones to be limited to 50m height and lots more BS

Perhaps it is time the European nations, along with the US government to also place major restrictions on our motorcycles.... we'll, toss our cars in too, as some drive too fast, or dangerous, or drunk. And people in rowboats, they are so careless. Let's not forget the pedestrians as a few will just walk right out in front of those other maniacs on bikes, cars, and rowboats.

Point is, there's always the rotten apple in the bunch of government officials who will stick their noses in groups that will inevitably have a few bad apples, feeling it is their duty to ruin our pleasurable hobbies. As we are in a fight with our US govt on UAVs, now the Europeans need to fight for their rights.

Time for a global UAV revolution! Fill your applicable law maker's inboxes with information on just how hippacritical they are being as I'll bet they have at least one of the mentioned items.

Stepping off my soapbox.

They already have in some respects regarding vehicles in that most ecu are locked and if tampered with can null and void insurance. All to do with European emissions. Though didn't stop vw fiddling them .

The CAA spent a lot of time and resources getting the rules to where they are now. It seems crazy to see all that work go down the pan along with our drones!

I would imagine ARPAS has something to say about these proposals and I cant for one minute imagine the CAA would be at all happy having some fat overpaid T__T in Brussels tell them what they can and cannot do in their sovereign airspace, so I imagine this has a long way to run yet, and this must have been on the cards when the House of Lords discussed the Civilian use of drones last year, in discussion with all the user groups affected, so im guessing that just as Brussels wanted to harmonise firework regulations, this will go the same way and be left down to the member states as it is now.

When you read it its quite ridiculous some of the proposals.

Does anyone have an idea of where this height - distance restriction is coming from, could it be Amazon or the likes looking for their own controlled space say 60m to 100m ?

the only effective way to voice your concerns over this is via your MP as they can ultimately kill it by gathering support against it and there will be plenty who would like to show the EU exactly why we wanted out because of this ridiculous intervention where its not needed

@Eric I wonder because the video and weblinks here are in English if the French RC community are aware of this plan too.
@Air Pauly thats it's a collective of your MEP's along with mine and other MEP's that make the EU, it's not a them and us, it's kind of democratic...like I'm all for harmonisation of standards, it makes perfect sense to be able to buy a product from Poland or Spain and to know that it meets the performance and safety standards that you are used to in your country, but this document is crazy just like sometimes our own local governments try to pass something that most people disagree with e.g.. I believe the council tax almost caused riots in your country.

Last edited:
I agree to a point but we are talking countries rights to govern their own airspace and the EU should have no right to "dictate" how a country governs its own airspace.......the CAA here and no doubt your own equivalent do, and have done, a perfectly good job of managing their own airspace so there is ZERO need for this type of garbage

It serves merely to keep fat bloated overpaid beurocrats in jobs

I agree to a point but we are talking countries rights to govern their own airspace and the EU should have no right to "dictate" how a country governs its own airspace.......the CAA here and no doubt your own equivalent do, and have done, a perfectly good job of managing their own airspace so there is ZERO need for this type of garbage

It serves merely to keep fat bloated overpaid beurocrats in jobs
They do the IAA is well known for leading the way in tech, they are at the moment doing trials for example of remote control towers, whereby a virtual control room for many airports are located on 1 site...kind of interesting actually...The IAA Trials Ireland’s First Remote Air Traffic Control Management System the CAA and all other national airspace operators naturally do just as fine as a job. However I suspect that all these agencies could benefit the airline passenger (and airlines) if an EU open sky arrangement was in place, and the EU gives the seats to sit down at and plan something like that.

Another response, Will the UK or not post BREXITcommon.JPG

They've been trying to restrict UAVs in the United States now for years. It might be a good idea for them to consolidate all of the air traffic in Europe and leave us remote pilots alone.

At the turn of the century 1900 and so the government figured out that they could make money on drivers licenses automobile registration testings and so here we are in 2116 Suffering from people not standing up for their rights.

Last edited:
Nice to watch how they are trying desperately to save a dying sector, manned helicopters, blocking a safer and very promising development.
By the way it will probably mean nothing, but I put my voice, sending to EASA the following text. The idea is to do collective actions, there are a few petition online already signed, but to act as individuals also.
We really should act as fed-up, angry individuals, thousands of individuals against few illiterates, in what concern flying models and "personal" drones.

Dear sirs,

about the EASA drones regulation proposal I would like you to read the following comments:
- how many accidents caused by drones, are known and proved in Europe and in the world?
- how many did cause serious damages, other than those related to the drone itself?
- how many did cause personal injuries or death?

- how many accidents were caused until now by every other manned flying vehicle cathegory?
- what about damages?
- what about injuries and death?

Let limit the questions to the last decade.

In my area the most common accidents are related to manned helicopters. No comments about how they fly and respect rules. Several accidents in a single decade. Most of them with several dead persons.

I guess it could be now fair to ask which rules are expected for the manned aviation to match the drones *and* the flying models world?
Which rules will be discussed to upgrade manned aviation to actual safety standard, seen the manned aviation increment in the last years?

I feel it is fair to ask that, first of all to have the impression there is a real equal treatment and there are no hidden (commercial?) interests.

Extending the discussion to personal transport authorities I would ask:
- how many accidents are caused by personal transportation?
- what about damages?
- what about injuries and death?

Seems we have to deal with a *real* problem here.
I therefore ask that before wasting time with subjects like drones, authorities really take care where the real problems are. I ask then that each vehicle will be equipped with a device which permits the localization of those vehicles, which strictly limits vehicle speed on highways, countrisides and especially villages to legal speeds. It has to avoid also passing with a red light, blocking the vehicle.

Back to drones *and* flying models, this is going to be a unacceptable limitation to personal freedom, probably against the Constitution of several countries, an unacceptable overlap over rules which are already executive and first of all will in no way avoid illegal behaviours.
It will pour an amount of mud over all the research done until now and block future developments.
It is going to bring the whole world laugh over Europe (authorities).

Thanks for reading and best regards,
Riccardo Kuebler

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
In Canada the Government is proposing that there will no longer be a distinction between Non-Recreational UAV and Recreational UAV. In the past if you had a small size drone and were just doing the hobby thing (made no money from it), then all was good. In 2017 the proposal is that everyone gets painted with the same brush, and everyone requires liability insurance. The only drones exempted are the tiny ones that weight next to nothing like the Yuneec Breeze.

The Government says drone accidents are on the rise. Yet in Canada there have been a total of 12 reported. 12 out of how many thousands of drones flying around? It's as if the Governments are so out of touch with the drone world that they are focusing on the "potential" bad and ignoring all the fact based good.

It's still not in effect but it could be for next year if the Canadian Government is allowed to carry on this way.

Nice to watch how they are trying desperately to save a dying sector, manned helicopters, blocking a safer and very promising development.

What? that's a bit of a myopic view. A drone isn't going to fly EMS, it's not going to provide cargo lifts or passenger service to oil platforms or confined operations areas. Drones aren't good for high tension power line maintenance or logging operations, how about firefighting water drops? yeah drones aren't going to do that. Manned helicopters are far from a dying sector

What's interesting is the Netherlands is flying surveillance drones over their country, and Sweden has some of their own design should they want to put them up.

Are you sure? Do you have a link to the info?

There is not now, and never has been, a 400' restriction on hobby level modelers, unless you agreed to it when applying for registration. Even that could be difficult to enforce since it is not codified. That number has never been more than an advisory, referencing a suggested maximum altitude within 3-5 miles of an airport. Rather than ask you to believe me I'll suggest reading the FAR's and Part 336 of the CFR's. You will not find a 400' limit for hobbyists in the law. Only the commercial operators are bound to a legal altitude limit.

Does anyone have an idea of where this height - distance restriction is coming from, could it be Amazon or the likes looking for their own controlled space say 60m to 100m ?

Mweir,

One only needs to look at the companies represented and chairing committees on our FAA's Drone Advisory Council to determine the interests influencing the rules being created. That some of those businesses have teamed with and are supporting state universities to assist in regulatory development makes the picture that much clearer.

Reactions: banned user

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio