Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hex vs quad in extreme winds

Seeing is believing. So the P4 won, huh?:rolleyes:

If by won you mean "had its butt kicked", then yes :D

A really nice demo of the development work Yuneec are putting into their machines.

Where did you get an H520?

I am a contractor to Yuneec, and have been evaluating various versions of H520 in the enterprise sector, since December.
Having flown it around towers, smokestacks, operated for LEO, and several other areas, this is an impressive UAS. It's not for the casual user. It competes more with Aeryon or other high end system than what most folks think of in sUAS.

Glad you enjoyed!

Reactions: Rayray
I am a contractor to Yuneec, and have been evaluating various versions of H520 in the enterprise sector, since December.
Having flown it around towers, smokestacks, operated for LEO, and several other areas, this is an impressive UAS. It's not for the casual user. It competes more with Aeryon or other high end system than what most folks think of in sUAS.

Glad you enjoyed!

Impressive. If you take a few videos you can share, kindly give us a look in the Pics and Videos.

Really nice and quite surprising against the Inspire. I really expected the Inspire to fair better possibly exceeding the H520. My own experience in 30+mph gusts have made the H Pro difficult to control, however the 30+mph gust here aren't constant, they gust, then drop to 10mph or below, then immediately ramp up. My difficulty the the H Pro in these conditions has been maintaining altitude. Once it was as though the rug was pulled out and the H Pro dropped 5-10 feet. It caught itself and recovered, a bit better than my underwear.

Reactions: Sailor Mike

Glad you enjoyed!
Thank you, I will be waiting for one as soon as they are available. I have 2 HS for commercial use and find them very good but not quite 100%. Looks like the 520 will be the ticket.

Really nice and quite surprising against the Inspire. I really expected the Inspire to fair better possibly exceeding the H520. My own experience in 30+mph gusts have made the H Pro difficult to control, however the 30+mph gust here aren't constant, they gust, then drop to 10mph or below, then immediately ramp up. My difficulty the the H Pro in these conditions has been maintaining altitude. Once it was as though the rug was pulled out and the H Pro dropped 5-10 feet. It caught itself and recovered, a bit better than my underwear.

Nothing, NOTHING, can hold firm station in rotors or unstable wind. Not manned aircraft, not unmanned aircraft. Anyone who claims their product can isn't being truthful. Ever been in a jet above a thunderstorm? there are "holes" in the atmospheric pressure, and even the largest jet "falls" into them. Near the ground, the effect of these "holes" is amplified. Without air beneath the prop, or in the instance of a downdraft from the reverse side of a rotor, means the aircraft will drop. Just as thermals will cause rise.

We believe the Inspire was zooming side to side, because the body acts much like a vertical stab. We have used Inspires for two years for production, and always been aware of its drift in any wind beyond L/V.

Note the entire point was "which could hold station" (proximity to launch point) with hands-off control.

Nothing, NOTHING, can hold firm station in rotors or unstable wind. Not manned aircraft, not unmanned aircraft. Anyone who claims their product can isn't being truthful. Ever been in a jet above a thunderstorm? there are "holes" in the atmospheric pressure, and even the largest jet "falls" into them. Near the ground, the effect of these "holes" is amplified. Without air beneath the prop, or in the instance of a downdraft from the reverse side of a rotor, means the aircraft will drop. Just as thermals will cause rise.

We believe the Inspire was zooming side to side, because the body acts much like a vertical stab. We have used Inspires for two years for production, and always been aware of its drift in any wind beyond L/V.

Note the entire point was "which could hold station" (proximity to launch point) with hands-off control.
Exactly what experience is teaching me, just like descending too quickly into VRS

Good demonstration, and as you mentioned, no aircraft is completely stable in winds, with different design features impacting how they perform. Everyone operating remotely piloted aircraft needs to experiment with their equipment in different conditions to learn how they react, what they can or can't handle, and to become proficient with control inputs to assure safe operations. Every design is different so it's up to the operator to learn the flight envelope of what they fly in order to avoid exceeding that envelope.

I think this is exacerbated by the altimeter on these stabilized units. The air pressure drops, reducing thrust, AND making the altimeter read that the craft is climbing. Of course the GPS altitude should tell it otherwise, but still, it'll have a tough time making sense of the sensor inputs (GPS altitude isn't very accurate, so can't be relied on 100%.)

Reactions: Eyewingsuit

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements