Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hey Part 107 Pilots.....Help me out....

Reaction score
I ran across this link today eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations that describes the rules of part 107. In part 101 (hobbyist rules) it stipulates that I must notify an airport if I am within five miles of any airport. In part 107 it says that I must obtain authorization when flying in any controlled airspace(class A,B,C,D or E). There is no mention of a distance to an airport. Over ninety percent of airports in the US are in class G airspace(from the surface too 700 AGL or 1200 AGL) which is uncontrolled. Does this mean that I can legally fly closer than 5 miles to and airport, without notification, as long as I maintain appropriate safety measures?

If you're flying under 107, no. It seems logical that the same would apply to 101 operators as well, but I'm not positive.

If you look at a sectional chart, it shows the extent of controlled airspace around and between applicable airports (distances vary). If you're inside that area you need ATC permission.

If you are in class g airspace you do not need authorization with a 107 certification

Bill W.

In the faa guidelines it actually says that an airport can object to you flying but cannot prevent you from flying. Obviously you would need to use best judgment and be safe. However the 5 mile rule applies only to hobbyist.

Bill W.

I believe 107 mentions a commercial operator needs authorization to fly in Class G airspace that underlies airport operations airspace? Not sure how they word that in the text of the law but someone so inclined, or that needs to know, could review the law text to verify or refute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No i know from my recent studies...class g is free and clear. Its uncontrolled. There is no one to ask permission from. Once again you need to use good judgment. It dosent hurt to alert a nearby airport where you are if they look busy and or you are really close.

Bill W.

As of 2/16/2017
101.41 (e) "When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation."

Airspace classification doesn't matter, and the same applies to 107 operators. My local airport is in Class G airspace, is "uncontrolled," and is definitely not free & clear.

That is in part 101.....that is for hobbyist only. That rule has been around for a few years. It does not apply to part 107. Except controlled airspace. B C D and E. G is uncontrolled.

Bill W.

Reactions: pa drone
That is in part 101.....that is for hobbyist only. That rule has been around for a few years. It does not apply to part 107. Except controlled airspace. B C D and E. G is uncontrolled.

Bill W.

Respectfully, "uncontrolled" doesn't mean there's nobody there. Would you please cite your information? Where does it say that I can fly within 5 miles of a busy Class G airport (20-30 flights a week during the summer, with skydiving operations 6 days a week, and the occasional LifeFlight operation) without notifying the operator?

Well i know that part 107 does not mention anything about obtaining authorization for flights in G class airspace nor does it mention we have to call all airports we are in 5miles of. Remember your reference is strictly for recreational pilots.

Bill W.

Also if you are flying to close to a class g airport that is that busy......i wouldn't recommend it. And i did say if you really need to at a very busy class g airport, then definitely let them know and give them a way to contact you.

Bill W.

You're right! I stand corrected.
No notification or authorization required for 107 operators

And yes, I'm in regular communication with the airport manager.

You know whats interesting, I am studying from remotepilot101.com and he says have a handheld aviation radio to listen to pilots communication about their maneuvers and approaches. He even said you could announce your position. But I wonder if you need some kind of license for that.
He also said that you might get an airspace authorization that could instruct you to contact the tower on a certain frequency and give you a call sign. He said that would be rare

Bill W.

I noticed you're in Oregon. I was in Portland last summer. First time ever. Im glad i got to go. Was kinda weirded out when i couldn't pump my own gas....haha

Bill W.

Talking to local airport operators (Sisters and Bend), they indicate they'd rather have UAV pilots not communicate over the radio, but they do advise using one to monitor local traffic. The guy at Sisters even offered to loan me one if I'm working close to the airport.

Yep, Oregon. When Oregonians travel and need fuel, we often sit for a few minutes waiting for the attendant to show up...

Sisters is on the east side of the Cascades in the high desert. Completely different climate (both physical and political) than Portland over here. 300 days of sun vs 300 days of rain.

Talking to local airport operators (Sisters and Bend), they indicate they'd rather have UAV pilots not communicate over the radio, but they do advise using one to monitor local traffic. The guy at Sisters even offered to loan me one if I'm working close to the airport.

Yep, Oregon. When Oregonians travel and need fuel, we often sit for a few minutes waiting for the attendant to show up...

Sisters is on the east side of the Cascades in the high desert. Completely different climate (both physical and political) than Portland over here. 300 days of sun vs 300 days of rain.
I was suprised at the difference in environment i drove thru. Came in from Idaho

Bill W.

I noticed you're in Oregon. I was in Portland last summer. First time ever. Im glad i got to go. Was kinda weirded out when i couldn't pump my own gas....haha

Bill W.
Wow, Oregon has the 'You can't pump your own gas' thing too? I knew New Jersey did. I was there in a rental, got out to pump my own when the operators pounced on my like 'What the H are you doing?'

Wow, Oregon has the 'You can't pump your own gas' thing too? I knew New Jersey did. I was there in a rental, got out to pump my own when the operators pounced on my like 'What the H are you doing?'
Yep those are only 2 states that require it. I had no idea what the deal was.

Bill W.

You are one if the lucky ones. The FAA issued a directive shortly after the release of 107 forbidding local ATC to hold direct communications with sUAS operators, to refer all communications and waiver requests to FAA central.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33