Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hope to use the H this winter.

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Three years ago our ski area sponsored a Vintage Snow Cat Rendezvous. The 1st year a few machines showed up. Last winter the number tripled and this winter it looks like even more will make the journey from all over the US.

I did some video with the Q500 last year and ended up perched high in a tree. This year I hope to use the H in follow me mode to test the altitude following feature. This video was made for the participants of the event so it's a bit longer than I would normally post.

Not sure how we can use copters in winter when they said working temperature is from 0C. So if there is like -10 is it safe to fly ?

People will need to experiment to find out how low they can go. If the low temp minimum is as accurate as the published wind limit I'm sure 0c will not be a limitation.

Lipo batteries are what will limit the minimum temperature more than anything else. If you keep them reasonably warm until they are used the rest of the system won't be a problem in lower temperatures. I flew my Chroma in conditions including falling snow and temps to 19F with no problems aside from a little shorter flight time per battery and numb fingers. One could place some low tack tape over the vents in the fuselage to keep the electronics a little warmer, and dry. Once the system is powered up the electronics generate heat which assists their continued function. Moisture at gimbal components needs to be closely watched since it will freeze and restrict the gimbal, perhaps causing damage to the gimbal motors as they try to respond to commands. Fortunately it's generally dry when it's very cold and wiping off accumulated snow to catch it before it melts from electrically generated heat assists in preventing icing.

Three years ago our ski area sponsored a Vintage Snow Cat Rendezvous. The 1st year a few machines showed up. Last winter the number tripled and this winter it looks like even more will make the journey from all over the US.

I did some video with the Q500 last year and ended up perched high in a tree. This year I hope to use the H in follow me mode to test the altitude following feature. This video was made for the participants of the event so it's a bit longer than I would normally post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you will have to use the Wizard for "follow me" mode to work and the H to follow the change in altitude as well.

At least with my 'regular' H, the altitude following in "follow me" mode doesn't work when controlling the H with the ST16 controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've flown in 8 degree F temps with wind gusts up to 30mph for a ski race. Aside from decreased battery flight time no real issues back in the day when I used Phantoms. In Iceland I've flown last summer in the 20's without much difference in battery time and without issues with
the Typhoon H. I stored the batteries inside the down sweater I was wearing when not in use. The new trim feature will make operating in cold temps easier since that can be operated with thicker gloves on. With the "lighter air" in cold temps you do make up a little for lost battery life. Many of the components also benefit from cooler temps. I recall a conversation with a DJI engineer who told me
flying in cold weather increase motor life due to the slight contraction of metal parts resulting in less friction.

Right at the end I thought your 500 was going to become road kill.
Nice Video, I can not wait to get out when the river and lake freeze over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you will have to use the Wizard for "follow me" mode to work and the H to follow the change in altitude as well.

At least with my 'regular' H, the altitude following in "follow me" mode doesn't work when controlling the H with the ST16 controller.

That's a good point. I haven't used the follow function. Might have to confirm with Yuneec. If there is no barometer in the ST16 then it obviously won't work.

Reactions: abinder
That's a good point. I haven't used the follow function. Might have to confirm with Yuneec. If there is no barometer in the ST16 then it obviously won't work.

VegasRobbi over at RCG has done a considerable number of flights with changing terrain and Follow using the H. He's found the H to be the best in such activities. You will need to use the Wizard. You might want to see if he is a member here and send a PM about how he goes about it.

Are all of those snowcats diesel? I'm not sure but I think there's a barometer in the ST 16 also call Yuneec and ask them. Thanks for posting that was a nice video

Are all of those snowcats diesel? I'm not sure but I think there's a barometer in the ST 16 also call Yuneec and ask them. Thanks for posting that was a nice video
Those vintage models were made in various countries. The two smaller red machines are powered by VW air-cooled engines. Most of the orange 4-track Tuckers have Chrysler engines. The newer Bombardier leading the group has a Cummins diesel. The Thiokol has a Ford gas engine. Most of the cats are at least 40 years old.

Very interesting Steve. About how many people turnout for this event?

That is really cool. Love the vintage machinery, and looking forward to some skiing this winter - shame it's a few months away (have to get in a plane to get to somewhere with slopes + snow).

I would be interested in hearing from more Wizzard users, I only tried it once and couldn't even get it to bind (my problem not the Wizzard
I'm sure.)

I would be interested in hearing from more Wizzard users, I only tried it once and couldn't even get it to bind (my problem not the Wizzard
I'm sure.)
The Wizard is a pretty cool tool. I have played with it quite a bit. The altitude follow works well. You can raise or lower the Wizard in your hand and see the H mimic your movements.
You can load the CGO app on your phone and use that to see the camera view as you control the H with the Wizard.

Reactions: abinder
Thanks for your response RR...how far have you flown it from you using the Wizzard? What would you consider the most practical things you've done with it so far? I would probably never use follow me. Does it interface in anyway with RealSense? I sure wish there existed some good documentation on RealSense can anyone point me to some?

Thanks for your response RR...how far have you flown it from you using the Wizzard? What would you consider the most practical things you've done with it so far? I would probably never use follow me. Does it interface in anyway with RealSense? I sure wish there existed some good documentation on RealSense can anyone point me to some?
I have kept it within 100 feet or so. I have not done anything practical yet, just testing, mostly in an open field. I eventually plan to use "follow me" kayaking down some whitewater rivers. I don't have realsense yet and I don't know how it works with the Wizard.I may add it later if the price comes down.

It does work with the real sense of course everything is supposed to work with real sense and IPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22