Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Horror typhoon h

I had the samething happen to me today when trying to land. When I first got it I tried to take off and the **** thing flew sideways flew into a wall and broke two props.I have the phantom 4 and would say I'm pretty good at flying so I don't know what happen
I had a Q500+ do the same thing to me because I accidentally took off in SAFE MODE and I was standing too close to the craft. Although this was technically my fault because the switch got bumped somehow, and I failed to see the lights blinking the wrong color on the craft (Sun angle). This is flawed software IMO. When in SAFE MODE and you're 10' from the craft, when it takes off it will automatically fly 25' away from the RC. You virtually have no control until it gets 25' away. This happens so quick you have no time to think. The software is clearly flawed, it should not take off if it's within 25' of the RC in SAFE MODE, period! There should be a screen dialog that says "PROXIMITY ERROR", or something to that effect and not let the motors start. Phantoms don't have the problem.

Reactions: banned user
i saw your post that it was repaired....thats good...hope it gets back to you with all problems resolved...i believe that you only had it a day or two when it crashed? i would have expected yuneec to have given you a new one at a much faster timeframe....
I thought the same. Hopefully this one is fully repaired.

You had it in safe mode. Switch to angle.... That's why it took of sideways at takeoff...

I was in angle mode with prior compass calibration done, took off let to hover and it flew into the tree. WTF?

I think it was reading 12 satellites

Just done another flight, this time it immediately started drifting in circle but I manage to stabilise it and after I had no issue.
Different location this time and 20 satellites for H.

READ THE MANUAL BEFORE FLYING !!! Smart Mode has a 26' Circle around it! If you try to take off/land inside this 26' circle in Smart Mode, it will fly at any direction it chooses to get outside this "Twenty six foot circle of death" Not pointing a finger at anyone, nor belittling anyone. But 90% or more of the issues of my H won't do this, or My H does this, or my H crashed into my house or tree or car or mother in law, Is just plain simple not following directions and common sense and above all NOT READING THE MANUALS or VIDEOES

Well Said! ....I got my H on Thursday and while I'm anxious to fly it ....I'm still reading the full User Manual vs 1.3 (posted on this forum), watching the YouTube tutorials, printing out the pre-flight check list (also shared on this forum).... need to have all the information prior to actually flying...too many people are just taking this thing out of the box, skimming the instructions and flying right away...I think that may be asking for trouble...JMHO

Reactions: DroneClone
READ THE MANUAL BEFORE FLYING !!! Smart Mode has a 26' Circle around it! If you try to take off/land inside this 26' circle in Smart Mode, it will fly at any direction it chooses to get outside this "Twenty six foot circle of death" Not pointing a finger at anyone, nor belittling anyone. But 90% or more of the issues of my H won't do this, or My H does this, or my H crashed into my house or tree or car or mother in law, Is just plain simple not following directions and common sense and above all NOT READING THE MANUALS or VIDEOES

Great advise! Even though I fly in Angle mode I have on occasions found myself starting to take off and the ST16 was in Safe mode when I thought it was in Angle. So, to prevent any problems, I now always place the H 30 ft away before lift off. That way if I did accidentally bump the switch and put it in Safe mode no harm should happen.

It was in angle mode period. Don't make an assumption that everyone is idiot and didn't read the manual first.

It was in angle mode period. Don't make an assumption that everyone is idiot and didn't read the manual first.
Who?
There is not need to put it 30' out everytime, just check your switch always that it is in the middle "Angle mode before take off, and Controller screen will also tell you you are in Angle Mode on the screen !

Hey today I bumped my mode switch but I checked it put it back. I have been flying since 85. Get yourself a routine and do it every time you get near take off. That is why starting and stopping kill switch is a deliberate act.fly safe.

I actually had a similar experience to Roger Kenny but it turned out to be pilot error in my case. I had flown my H a number of times including on ccc with the gimbal in global mode. Although global mode was really cool, I didn't like the pitch control on the camera. It is backwards from aviation standard and I wanted to change it. I looked through the channel setup page to see if I could reverse it. I messed around with some settings being careful to change them all back in the end; or so I thought. The next morning I flew my H using the wizard for the first time and it flew fine. I then packed it up and took it along with my wife and kids for a little hiking trip. We hiked to the top of a nearby hill and I took out the H to get some video. I forgot that it was bound to the wizard and it took me a little while to get it bound back to the transmitter. After binding it back to the transmitter it was beeping whenever the camera pitch wasn't centered. I didn't remember it doing that before. The family was getting impatient (myself included) so I took off anyway. After I turned on the motors the camera pitch operated normally with no beeping. I flew up about 6' but the controls weren't responding correctly. It would move away and to the right but not the opposite. I looked down and sure enough, it was in smart mode. I switched to angle mode and the hex took off back towards the liftoff spot at a moderate speed with no control input from me. It overflew the takeoff location and was heading towards the hillside. I frantically hit RTH but it didn't change anything. The H hit the hillside and I hit the kill switch. It seemed to take forever for the props to stop although I'm sure it was the normal amount of time. Luckily, the only damage was a couple broken props. I decided to pack it back up and save troubleshooting until I got home.

It turns out that I had somehow managed to mix the camera pitch with the right forward/aft stick. This was why it was beeping when the camera pitch wasn't centered. I rotated the camera before takeoff so the slider wasn't centered when I took off. It didn't do anything while it was in smart mode because the slider was trimming it back towards the safety circle but as soon as I went to angle mode it had a bunch of aft trimmed into it. RTH didn't do anything since it still takes input during that mode and was responding to the aft trim. I'm just glad there was no significant damage and that I was able to figure it out. It flies just fine now but I still haven't figured out how to reverse the camera gimbal pitch. Anyone know how to decipher the channel settings?

BTW, my H will not take off in a random direction if you takeoff inside the safety circle in smart mode. It will fly straight up and hover in a fixed position. It won't go anywhere until you make it. It will only go away from you until you get it outside the circle. I just ops tested this.

BTW, my H will not take off in a random direction if you takeoff inside the safety circle in smart mode. It will fly straight up and hover in a fixed position. It won't go anywhere until you make it. It will only go away from you until you get it outside the circle. I just ops tested this.
Seems something is not right on your channel settings? Glad you escaped with no damage, very close call!

So I should indeed do compass cali before first flight? seems like a dumb question i know
Not dumb at all ! I, for one, would definitely do one ! It was probably last calibrated in China, as My Flight Logs revealed, That is a world away ! Just do it facing North and make sure you get the correct light repsonse when done , telling you it was successful !

Reactions: Dezzzy.D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval