Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How do you fly your TH?

Adding on to this inquiry, what voltages does everyone fly down to? I start landing considerations at around 15v and try to be landed by 14.7 however this places a hard limit of flight time to roughly 10-12 minutes on my batteries.

A pair of cowboy boots and little else.

For me:
I head for home at 14.8, 15 if I am way out.
At 14.3 I am on the ground. I am NEVER over the water under 15.5.

Adding on to this inquiry, what voltages does everyone fly down to? I start landing considerations at around 15v and try to be landed by 14.7 however this places a hard limit of flight time to roughly 10-12 minutes on my batteries.

For me that level is between 15.1v and 14.8v. Yes, it does reduce flight time but never stresses a battery. For example, I recently bought several used batteries from an individual that crashed his H. Or I think crashed his H. One of the batteries was at 12.8v out of the box. It was the only box that had ever been opened, so I suspect it was the battery used when he had problems.

In years of using Lipo batteries I've learned, at some expense, that 70% is as low as I want to go if I want as many use cycles as possible from the batteries while maintaining the highest level of system reliability possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me:
I head for home at 14.8, 15 if I am way out.
At 14.3 I am on the ground. I am NEVER over the water under 15.5.
?? You belive the water itself is a problem? If I am just about 150-200m meter away from the shore it's not a problem.

Follows a similar principal to not flying a single engine plane over water or mountains at night. The water won't, mountains might, impact the flight, but do impact the outcome if things go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice thread.
I fly predominantly in Angle (Pilot) mode. Used 'smart (?)' mode just once to test it out.
The majority of my flights are specifically to film an area (mostly landscapes). I have flown out to 800ft and up to around 200ft. Most of my flights are lower and shorter than those figures. Currently running the stock antenna config but have ordered the upgrade kit for both my ST16 and my YTH.
Really starting to love the CCC feature and plan to use Orbit Me for some fishing shots out on the water.
I aim to land at, or before, 14.8v. Only ever had the first low battery warning once and it was when I was coming in to land.

I still have zero confidence after all the problems out of the box and post repairs. So for me it is slow and steady in a 100 foot box and it still gets jerky. Fwiw i made an impulse buy at bestbuy on a bird for 400$ that came w extra goodies. Out of box i can fly it like a champ. Rock solid performance like i would expect from any high level product. This sold new a few months ago for $800. A solid bargain. I just pray my 2 Hs will someday be worthy of fearless flying. Im gearing up for real estate video and i just cant trust the Hs yet to be around someone elses property. Even nervous around my own where i have been practicing.

First flight out of the box....as high and as far as it would go, lucky me, the return to home works when signal is lost.
After hearing all the horror stories about firmware upgrades, I wasn't going to do it. I was going to document the revisions and components however, I'm scraping the effort due to not enough buy-in from the group, sorry.
Anyways, I decided to perform the firmware upgrade on Saturday.
My H is fairly new, purchased it last month. When I performed the firmware calibration; I did it twice in a row, the reason being is that the old event files and such from the previous software was still on the drive, which I didn't feel comfortable with so I reformatted the drive, and reinstalled the SW a second time. After that, I took it to a large field, pointed the nose north and let her update all the satellite information for 15-20 minutes.
Next I performed the compass calibration twice in a row, then I took it home to do the accelerometer and gimbal calibrations on a level surface.
I flew it in the driveway for the first flight, everything worked as Yuneec claimed.
The only anomaly was a little X-drifting at about 5' of elevation, a very slow 1 to 2' of side to side drifting, didn't do that with the old software but that pretty much went away after a while, now it appears stable.
Since then it's been up up and away roaming the neighborhood at 400', probably went through 16 batteries on the new firmware. When I lose video, I hit return to home and it comes back eventually.
I did my first "follow me" with the wizard on Sunday. I tested it a bit in the park until I felt comfortable with it, after that I put in a new battery, sent her up in the air, hoped on my bike and took off for home. On the way I had to go through a heavily wooded patch of trees in the park, I wondered if it would make it, luckily it did.
I always flew in angle mode as I owned other cheap quads, but to use realsense you have to be in smart-mode. I discovered that when you fly low and slow, smart-mode works pretty nice and it's amusing to watch that dumb robot trying to navigate it's way around stuff.
When I purchased the H, it was a tossup between it and the P4, I actually went to the store intending to purchase the P4. After seeing the H controller and seeing how intimidating it looked next to the P4, I was on the fence and actually started the purchase process for the P4. We had the P4 out of the box and was setting her up in the store and as we were setting up the app on my phone, a call came through that interrupted us, that's when I pumped the brakes. Had them pack the P4 up and grabbed the H.
For me they both do about the same thing and not having my phone tied up to fly is important. I really dig the ST16 controller and the redundancy of the 2 extra motors, to be blatantly honest, I like the militaristic tough look of the H vs the minimalistic iphone looking P4.
The only mishap I have had so far was when I was hotrodding with the GPS off in the desert, a rogue cactus popped up out of the desert and clobbered her. Had to replace an arm and a camera mount rubber...easy peasy fixes.
Overall I am happy with the H.

Thanks,

Reactions: Subtle Shots
I always fly in Angle mode. (I tried Smart once when I first got the drone and have never used it again.)
I typically fly FPV (with a spotter) using the Yuneec Skyview goggles. They work great and give a more immersive experience. They also help me with composition, especially on bright sunny days where it is hard to view the screen.

I have never been farther than 1000' and I generally don't fly higher than 300', although I have taken the bird to the ceiling (400') a couple of times.
I find the best height for video is between 250-300 feet. Any higher and the landscape looks flat and lifeless.

I do push my batteries a little more than some.
I bring the bird in closer to home once it is below 15V and then I generally land on the first warning, which is usually 14.3-14.4V.
However, once I land, the voltage jumps up to about 14.7-14.8V.

I have tested the batteries afterwards and they generally have about 3.6V per cell.

Does auto stability still work with GPS off.

it maintains hight and the gimble still works but ... if you let go of the sticks it will drift with the wind ... also if your flying forward and you centre the stick it will continue forward untill you add back stick to stop it

Reactions: Dragonflyerthom
Does auto stability still work with GPS off.

How to fly without GPS (in fact, how I did the first time) :

- choose a day without any wind
- choose an open field without any tree, house or powerline. A real open field
- take off as usual (in angle mode) and send the H at an altitude of at least 50 feet
- switch the GPS OFF. Now your H will start to drift slowly (depends on the wind) but the altitude will be maintained
- Just play with the right stick to try to keep the H in place (going against the drift)
- once you succeed in for 2 or 3 minutes, you will get confidence
- in the case you panic, just switch the GPS ON and your H will instantly stop drifting

Great info Eric

at the momen no more than 100 feet way in non gps mode as im praticing for my flight test for my PfCO (uk) ive passed the theory just getting load of practice while the ops manual and stuff is being written
I did my flight test near Blackpool and had to fly 900 ft away to take a picture of a footbridge before coming part way back to take some video of a gully. I wasn't happy using the Typhoon especially since I hadn't done the update so couldn't take it out of GPS during flight. I opted instead to use a Phantom 2 Vision Plus because I have far more experience on that aircraft and I could switch to ATTI. During the test I had to simulate a loss of GPS by using ATTI but the aircraft was about 250 ft away. What I'm saying is practice your ATTI at a slightly greater distance. Maybe up to 200ft, say?

Reactions: anthony h-ellary
Line of sight :) If I can't see it , it ain't going there LOL
Same here. I can take the H further out than my Phantom because it is bigger and blacker. However, I tend not to go more than 1200ft with the H and no more than about 900ft for the Phantom. Furthest I've ever flown the H was about 1400 ft and I was struggling to see it.

Reactions: Dragonflyerthom
FV this system of using the TH and LOS plus using your View from ST 16 enables you to fly out a little bit further.

I just come to the realization that a lot of the members of this forum have never flown anything remote control before. What is your experience level guys post if you want everybody to know.

I just come to the realization that a lot of the members of this forum have never flown anything remote control before. What is your experience level guys post if you want everybody to know.

Experience level of flying anything remote control ... well now, 1 being none and 10 being expert ... I'm about a 2 going on 3. Bought a used RC Helicopter (electric) many years ago, can't remember what the model or make was but it was decent size and for the life of me I couldn't learn to fly it, it would just spin and spin, I swear there was something wrong with it, ended up giving it to my wife's sister's husband who gave it to one of his grand kids and he had a blast with it, it's probably in a thousand pieces by now, that was many moons ago. I've raced RC cars but nothing pro like, so in essence my Q500 4K and my H are my first remote control flying machines and I'm loving it. Taking baby steps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430