Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How Necessary is Part 107

Reaction score
Here's a question I'm wrestling with. I'm a photographer. Architecture, Real Estate, etc. Since the H I have to my thinking simply added another kind of camera to my arsenal. I would never charge my clients to fly my camera any more than I would charge them for using my tripod. My clients aren't at all concerned with the how when I shoot, just that the images are of a good quality and most of all that those images benefit them. SO why do I need the part 107? I get insurance, (Which is the only thing they ask of me)
I follow all the part 107 safety requirements and other rules. I charge my clients only for my skill and time and editing. The FAA has no control over any of those things.
This isn't to say that I won't get it, but I don't see that I really need it UNLESS, I have to be the pilot for someone else whey they use a controller to shoot the images.
Highly unlikely.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks for the time.

Joe

If you use your H and make money from it, you are considered a commercial operator and MUST have a part 107 certification. The FAA does not care about the picture taking part, they are looking at it from the stand point that you are FLYING an aircraft. You could take the camera off and charge people to watch you fly and you would be considered commercial.
YES the FAA does have full authority to govern anything that flies is USA airspace.

Ok. But the FAA doesn't care if someone lets you fly voluntarily as long as you follow the rules on safety. So for instance, I ask someone to fly over their house because it's a great looking house. The owner says yes and then afterward they say how much they liked the images and video and can they buy it from me. What then? I can't sell it? I know I can give it away. It's just not that crystal clear. I'm not getting paid to fly.

Legally you would have to give them to the owner.
I am sure it only a matter of time before the FAA hits someone with a fine, just to prove they are watching.

I'm finding that potential customers are now asking if I'm FAA certified so this seem to be the new consequential trend as a result of the Part 107

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a question I'm wrestling with. I'm a photographer. Architecture, Real Estate, etc. Since the H I have to my thinking simply added another kind of camera to my arsenal. I would never charge my clients to fly my camera any more than I would charge them for using my tripod. My clients aren't at all concerned with the how when I shoot, just that the images are of a good quality and most of all that those images benefit them. SO why do I need the part 107? I get insurance, (Which is the only thing they ask of me)
I follow all the part 107 safety requirements and other rules. I charge my clients only for my skill and time and editing. The FAA has no control over any of those things.
This isn't to say that I won't get it, but I don't see that I really need it UNLESS, I have to be the pilot for someone else whey they use a controller to shoot the images.
Highly unlikely.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks for the time.

Joe

The most important reason to have your 107 is the fact that you need to be insureable. The 107 makes it possible for you to operate as a business, carry insurance, and protect your assets.

If someone has $2000 in disposable income to buy a drone I've got to believe they have personal assets to protect. To me it's a no brainer, and most companies/people that want to retain someone for drone operations are UBER sensitive about what type of insurance you carry in the event of an accident.

Not to mention the potential criminal implications should the accident result in death.

Good points. However, my photography business is incorporated and insured. I buy extra insurance when I fly from Verifly. My clients request that. I'm not opposed to getting 107. I'm studying for it. I was just curious what others are doing in regard to it.

="I buy extra insurance when I fly from Verifly. My clients request that. I'm not opposed to getting 107. I'm studying for it. I was just curious what others are doing in regard to it.

Not to say you have, but will Verifly cover you for commercial operations without the 107? Curious. I haven't read their coverage details entirely but I had intended on looking at it as a possibly for clients to opt in for additional coverage. I don't have much faith in these smaller specialty type insurance policies.

[QUOTE="I buy extra insurance when I fly from Verifly. My clients request that. I'm not opposed to getting 107. I'm studying for it. I was just curious what others are doing in regard to it.

Not to say you have, but will Verifly cover you for commercial operations without the 107? Curious. I haven't read their coverage details entirely but I had intended on looking at it as a possibly for clients to opt in for additional coverage. I don't have much faith in these smaller specialty type insurance policies.[/QUOTE]

So far you can buy it with or without 107. Also you can set your client as an additional insured. It's evolving and there are some nice improvements coming to it as well.

Use the word "consideration" in the question and perspectives might change. You don't need to be paid for the flying or the image, but if the people you provide them to receive benefit in some form of consideration it becomes a commercial activity. Had you not flown to obtain an image to edit that image would never had been created and eliminated the opportunity to generate consideration, or more loosely, revenue.

Having that FAA Part 107 on your business card opens a lot of doors that would otherwise remain closed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio