Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to fly straight (cam in line with direction)

Reaction score
I don't think it's me ... well, not all me, as I'm sure I could do better.

Say there's a shot you want, to fly straight forward (or backward). I push the stick straight forward, and the bird flies straight, but the cam always seems canted to one side or the other.

So this makes the effect like driving down the road with your head turned several degrees to one side.

Is there a calibration that will make this easier?

I'll upload a short clip from today as elucidation.

Thanks!

I don't think it's me ... well, not all me, as I'm sure I could do better.

Say there's a shot you want, to fly straight forward (or backward). I push the stick straight forward, and the bird flies straight, but the cam always seems canted to one side or the other.

So this makes the effect like driving down the road with your head turned several degrees to one side.

Is there a calibration that will make this easier?

I'll upload a short clip from today as elucidation.

Thanks!
Do you have all the camera switches in the up position?

Do you have all the camera switches in the up position?
I do. In fact, I usually fly with gear down, as I haven't figured out how to pan and fly at the same time and don't usually have enough concept to use curve cable cam. (but glad it is there)

I was just looking at my footage, and it's not as bad as I was thinking for the most part ... there is another problem though.

I fly with GPS on ... so sad I cannot turn it off in flight with button.

I was flying about 12" over ice. Fracture lines and scintillant shiny things look cool, but if I go too fast, they get lost. So I fly really slow .. but in GPS mode it lurches a LOT in rabbit mode....and I fly slower than rabbit mode ... of course, the wind doesn't help .. but it does it without wind....

I'll post a clip soon ..

The up switch position aligns the camera with the front of the H. Is it possible you are flying in Smart mode and the frame's front is not aligned with the flight direction?

The up switch position aligns the camera with the front of the H. Is it possible you are flying in Smart mode and the frame's front is not aligned with the flight direction?
Ooh .. I NEVER fly in smart mode ... but I do fly with GPS on especially when I am so low, as I was standing on top of hill looking down, and had now way to gauge my elevation,

So this is fun and all, but when I get my cam refitted with the Peau lens I'm gonna need finer control ... of course I'm comparing it to my Matrix E, which I always fly in ATT mode, and it is very very smooth (the bird, not the gimbal) so is really nice for close, low, and slow shots. For what it's worth, the Inspire 1 flew like the Typhoon when going slow .. always readjusting its position in GPS mode ...
I know there must be a solution, but please don't tell me it's not to fly in gusty wind close to things! THAT part I just can't seem to avoid!

The video looks like it's filming straight on, at least to me. If you've got the updated firmware you can turn GPS off in flight. That same firmware has been reported to smooth out the lurching that you describe.
What does it do in turtle mode?

OK ... I will (gulp) update the firmware. Scared. I'm looking at another low slow flight and the slowing and speeding up lurching is killing me ... .

Oh .. .yeah, when I'm flying low and slow I'm always in turtle mode. I use very very little stick.

OK ... I will (gulp) update the firmware. Scared. I'm looking at another low slow flight and the slowing and speeding up lurching is killing me ... .
Update the H first and then the ST16. Helps if you watch the video. After the updates you will need to do the calibrations. The first time you start the H, let it sit for about 13 minutes while the GPS gets an accurate fix. You only need to do that once after an update.

Update the H first and then the ST16. Helps if you watch the video. After the updates you will need to do the calibrations. The first time you start the H, let it sit for about 13 minutes while the GPS gets an accurate fix. You only need to do that once after an update.

OK...will do as you suggest. Must find the video (I've done it before, but need to make sure I do it absolutely right so I'm not likely to show up here saying my H fell out of the sky or flew away or wont' bind or ...

Thanks!

You will definitely have to rebind the H and then the camera. Power everything down after the updates and then do the binding.

Of all the gear I have, I gotta say this is the easiest, most straightforward, and fastest. I like that. Lotta things about this rig I really like.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Here is a couple of hints if there is a problem:
After an update recalibrate everything and wait 13 minutes after turning on the H before you launch the first time.
If you get any errors on the screen after you launch you can clear the warning by pressing the return key below the screen.
If you suddenly experience erratic flying or a flyaway, use the left stick max up to gain altitude and some left stick yaw to keep it flying in circles. Then turn off the GPS. That usually restores control. Remember that RTH won't work. You have to fly it home manually. Many pilots have discovered the left stick still works during a flyaway.

Reactions: Joel Lukacher
Gonna re-read this several times.

Thank you.

Only time I've experienced a "flyaway" feeling was when I finally got the chance to pilot my small boat on a lake and fly the Inspire 1 at the same time. Got a little happy, forgot about battery ... and it got low. Wanted to RTH (the other side of the lake) ... it was a helluva fight getting it to stay with me so I could hand catch it.

Is the GPS on a button now?

And yes .. altitude is friend!

Here is a couple of hints if there is a problem:
After an update recalibrate everything and wait 13 minutes after turning on the H before you launch the first time.
If you get any errors on the screen after you launch you can clear the warning by pressing the return key below the screen.
If you suddenly experience erratic flying or a flyaway, use the left stick max up to gain altitude and some left stick yaw to keep it flying in circles. Then turn off the GPS. That usually restores control. Remember that RTH won't work. You have to fly it home manually. Many pilots have discovered the left stick still works during a flyaway.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval