Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to perform a Firmware update

Nice work on the video - very helpful. Let's hope that people take note of this and that it also helps fix a few of the update issues that have been occurring.

One small suggestion - it may be worthwhile mentioning that the SD cards should have no other files on them.

Reactions: Christopher Philips
Nice tutorial and a lot of help for many I am sure. I have one question and I just may have missed it but after updating your radio I didn't see you remove the SD card from the radio before updating the H ? OR do you leave the SD card in the radio as well while updating the bird ?

Thanks for the great video Chris. Wish this was up a few weeks ago before I bricked my H. Now I know what to do for the next update.

Shouldn't you calibrate accelerometer, compass, controller and gimbal after an update?

That's a 'contentious' issue as some people say yes while others say no.

I like to err on the side of caution and do all calibrations after an update. It's also important (in my opinion) to re-calibrate the compass if you are going to be flying in a new location that is some distance from your 'home' base.

do you leave the SD card in the radio as well while updating the bird ?

In the video, Chris uses two SD cards. One for the H (with H FW) and one for the ST16 (with ST16 FW). Once the updates are done, you can leave the cards where they are, or if you like, you can delete the files before flying - but make sure the updates show as complete - as discussed towards the end of his tutorial.

That's a 'contentious' issue as some people say yes while others say no.

I like to err on the side of caution and do all calibrations after an update. It's also important (in my opinion) to re-calibrate the compass if you are going to be flying in a new location that is some distance from your 'home' base.
Right thats what I always do. I have been building customs for over 4 years and ALWAYS calibrate. Why take a chance. Also I believe Yuneec recommends deleting the flight logs after an update.

Also I believe Yuneec recommends deleting the flight logs after an update.

Yeah, that is correct. Not sure if that was just for the change in FW that enabled WiFi updates or whether you still have to delete the logs. I'm thinking it was a 'once-off' as it hasn't been mentioned since.

Nice tutorial and a lot of help for many I am sure. I have one question and I just may have missed it but after updating your radio I didn't see you remove the SD card from the radio before updating the H ? OR do you leave the SD card in the radio as well while updating the bird ?

You can leave the card in or take it out, up to you. I used two different cards so I did not need the card from the controller. When updating the copter, it reads from the card in the camera, so the card in the controller wont be an issue

Last edited:
Reactions: gamik and Alan24
Nice work on the video - very helpful. Let's hope that people take note of this and that it also helps fix a few of the update issues that have been occurring.

One small suggestion - it may be worthwhile mentioning that the SD cards should have no other files on them.

I have done updates with a card containing only the firmware, and if i recall correctly, I have also performed an update with other files on the card including the firmware. The controller and copter look for a very specific file name, and once found the update completes. I will look into it again though to get a more definitive answer.

Reactions: gamik
Chris, could you list any other videos here, that you have done on the H. They would be very helpful to all.

Thanks, Tom

Great tutorial on the upgrade but if you get a User Login message password entry I can't rebind camera in setup. I don't recall having to set a password so is there a default p/w or a way to set one up in the ST16

Thx Mediaguy

The default password is 1234567890

You might want to use the search function on this forum... it is the magnifying glass
in the upper right corner of any page on the site. There are currently 50 search results
to the inquiry of "ST16 password"... and now 51. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadCloses
Thanks Chris for this video ! Despite my disastrous English, I still managed to update the H that I just bought two days ago !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cosmoarts