Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to perform a Firmware update

Hey guys,

So there is always a lot of talk about firmware updates, and how to go about it. I made a video for everyone that shows a step by step process to perform a successful firmware update!

Let me know what you think!
I have had my Q500 4K for about 6 months now, and I keep hearing about all these problems with firmware updates........I am a beginner so I hope this question is not to dumb........but as long as my bird is performing as it is supposed to and I am having no problems at all with it............why would I want to upgrade the firmware, and take the chance of screwing it all up ? Like I said, I hope this is not a dumb question......

I have had my Q500 4K for about 6 months now, and I keep hearing about all these problems with firmware updates........I am a beginner so I hope this question is not to dumb........but as long as my bird is performing as it is supposed to and I am having no problems at all with it............why would I want to upgrade the firmware, and take the chance of screwing it all up ? Like I said, I hope this is not a dumb question......

Technically I suppose you wouldn't have to. But if you firmware update successfully following my steps, you will be using the latest firmware. What this does is adds new features to your machine that you might not even know exist. It could even solve errors that you might not know exist. For example, an update could increase GPS functionality which could result in a more stable flight - definitely a benefit. Another example, something you might not need, is that after one of the more recent H firmware updates we now have the ability to turn off the indicator lights on the H, which can allow for a less polluted image (for example: the blue lights could add a blue color to a picture at night).

Hope this helps! I would certainly recommend upgrading, because with every firmware update there is increased functionality.

Technically I suppose you wouldn't have to. But if you firmware update successfully following my steps, you will be using the latest firmware. What this does is adds new features to your machine that you might not even know exist. It could even solve errors that you might not know exist. For example, an update could increase GPS functionality which could result in a more stable flight - definitely a benefit. Another example, something you might not need, is that after one of the more recent H firmware updates we now have the ability to turn off the indicator lights on the H, which can allow for a less polluted image (for example: the blue lights could add a blue color to a picture at night).

Hope this helps! I would certainly recommend upgrading, because with every firmware update there is increased functionality.
Thank You for your response......When I first ordered this drone, I was worried that I would not be able to fly it at my house,where I do almost all of my flying, I live about 2 miles from a small airport and was afraid the GPS fence would keep me grounded.....the airport is 451 feet higher than my house up on a hill, I was relieved when the bird did start up and fly, just worried that an upgrade may add the GPS fence and ground me from flying around my house where I do all my testing and training.....I just do not want to screw it up , everything is stable and it even comes right back to me when I hit "return to home". I can not think of anything else I need for taking pictures..............Thank You again !

Reactions: Christopher Philips

Just to be sure in my own mind, has there been a firmware upgrade since mid November? I watched your video on installing the firmware upgrade, but it appeared to be a later version in the video than the Nov. 17 version.

Also, you showed a voltage checker for the "H" batteries, but I searched Terrestrial's website and could not find it anywhere. If the company sells it, please let me know so I can buy one.

Thank You for your response......When I first ordered this drone, I was worried that I would not be able to fly it at my house,where I do almost all of my flying, I live about 2 miles from a small airport and was afraid the GPS fence would keep me grounded.....the airport is 451 feet higher than my house up on a hill, I was relieved when the bird did start up and fly, just worried that an upgrade may add the GPS fence and ground me from flying around my house where I do all my testing and training.....I just do not want to screw it up , everything is stable and it even comes right back to me when I hit "return to home". I can not think of anything else I need for taking pictures..............Thank You again !

Your welcome!

Just to be sure in my own mind, has there been a firmware upgrade since mid November? I watched your video on installing the firmware upgrade, but it appeared to be a later version in the video than the Nov. 17 version.

Also, you showed a voltage checker for the "H" batteries, but I searched Terrestrial's website and could not find it anywhere. If the company sells it, please let me know so I can buy one.

Yeah we have them! Just haven't added them to our site yet! Ill send you a link later today. And go to your controller, and click the about controller tab. If your numbers don't match these (reference the picture) then you need to update!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 11.37.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 11.37.01 AM.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
Performed my first set of firmware upgrades flawlessly following the video. Very well done - thank you!

Need to go through the cals and then a post test flight. However, it's snowing outside...

Hi Chris! So glad I found you on here. I have been watching all your tutorials in preparation for my new H to arrive very soon! Unfortunately, my 14 year old niece has been watching them too! She has now officially dumped Nick Jonas as her BFF and is now "in love" with you! :p Not to worry though, her parents limit her social media activities so I don't think she'll be stalking you anytime soon! Cheers!

Hi Chris! So glad I found you on here. I have been watching all your tutorials in preparation for my new H to arrive very soon! Unfortunately, my 14 year old niece has been watching them too! She has now officially dumped Nick Jonas as her BFF and is now "in love" with you! :p Not to worry though, her parents limit her social media activities so I don't think she'll be stalking you anytime soon! Cheers!

Hahaha Im flattered. I'm glad I could pick up two more supporters. More importantly, I'm glad I have been able to help you!

I downloaded both files from the Yuneec website and one of the files was a zip file. Extracted the file, so can I begin installing the update or is there anything else I need to do?

Yuneec USA's download area does not use zip files. Use the file(s) as it (they) are, do not "unzip".
The drone file will always have a ".bin" suffix and the ST16 a ".yuneec" suffix.

Good luck.:) I recommend the latest .bin update. Makes landing so easy I did it blindfolded:eek:. Well, I thought about doing it.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio