Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to tone down the whites in the photos?

Reaction score
How to tone down the whites in the photos? As the image shows, the whites are overwhelming. If the rooftop of a building is white, the rooftop details are almost gone. Just a white element. I am not a photographer.
I would like to get some advice on some camera settings on the Typhoon H? Third party lenses?
I have Photoshop so post processing advice on dng files are welcome. I am doing panoramic photos so batch processing is helpful. I would hate to do the same manual work on 18 photos.
I have the latest firmware installed.

bL7Z2Tu.gif

Maybe the ISO too high, AWB wrong sort selected but mostly too much sky. If you can just get ONLY ground features in view the image will clear up. ND filters coukd help on bright days.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Always better to shoot under expose and correct up. Once over exposed its difficult to make much improvement.

Bill W.

I always use -0.5 exposure compensation. It is much easier to correct underexposed images. Changing ISO or white balance won't stop blown out highlights. Neither will adding ND filters. If you are manually shooting panoramas you should lock the exposure. Use the histogram to help you tell if the highlights are blown. I think the pano mode on the H automatically locks exposure for all images.
For dng files, just open all of them in Photoshop, select them all, and then changes you make to one image will correct all of the images. I may put together a video tutorial soon.

Reactions: Rayray
Yikes! That photo looks either zoomed in after having an attempted color correction, or something has gone wrong (pixelated in the sky... low bit rate or image mode set on RAW???).

The Typhoon H can take great photos, but you have to do a bit of work as the photographer. In the photo your White Balance looks incorrect and the exposure is much too high. Perhaps this video will help.

Best of luck.

Reactions: Jester
How to tone down the whites in the photos? As the image shows, the whites are overwhelming. If the rooftop of a building is white, the rooftop details are almost gone. Just a white element. I am not a photographer.
I would like to get some advice on some camera settings on the Typhoon H? Third party lenses?
I have Photoshop so post processing advice on dng files are welcome. I am doing panoramic photos so batch processing is helpful. I would hate to do the same manual work on 18 photos.
I have the latest firmware installed.

bL7Z2Tu.gif

You could try to use the lightroom templates from Arthut Konze (germany)
Ho made 2 templates one for DJI Inspire 1 / Phantom 3/4 and one with the same functions but without the lens specifications from DJI
see here
Hope this helpes
I also include them in onedrive
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AioxrAcG-HB_pQ8Z7LoiULz6oPRT

Marnix

Thanks Captain for the informative video, I don't want to over complicate my camera settings as I'm not a professional Photog so 'keeping it simple stupid' (KISS) is very helpful for guys like me.
I did have two questions:

1. You mentioned using Sunrise/Sunset as a default, yet you shot your vids in Gorgeous which is more inline with what I've read in keeping with the KISS philosophy. Which do you recommend?
2. Also, the vids are awesome! I'm wondering on the very first clip if using an ND filter wouldn't have made a HUGE difference? I've just purchased the Polar Pro ND's and I AM expecting the sun glare in those situations to be corrected (maybe not 100% but a significant difference).

I'm glad you added in the part about changing the settings then going back to the standard WB would result getting stuck in a previous setting (in your case resulting in a blue fence). I thought I was doing something wrong so glad to see you can reset. I've also found changing these settings back and forth a few times will get your WB balence back to the norm.

1. You mentioned using Sunrise/Sunset as a default, yet you shot your vids in Gorgeous which is more inline with what I've read in keeping with the KISS philosophy. Which do you recommend?
Sunrise/Sunset is a White Balance setting (Example: Daylight, Cloudy, Auto, etc....)
Gorgeous is a video setting (Raw, Night, Natural, etc...)

You need to select the WB button for setting white balance and you would change to Gorgeous in video settings.

Gorgeous (Strong in-cam processing = harder to process color in post production)
Natural (Medium in-cam processing = easier to process color in post production)
RAW (Minimal in-cam processing = easiest to process color in post production)
Night (just that...)

The Polar Pro filters will be a great help but you'll need to learn how and when to use them through some trial and error. Each works best when light and glare are at certain levels. Don't use one if light is weak. I use the 4 in the morning sun and the 16 when the sun is bright and glare is great, or when shooting in strong light over snow. You'll still need to experiment with shutter speeds and ISO to arrive at the right balance for the shoot. Then you have the "scene" settings to deal with, Natural, Gorgeous, etc, which add their own elements to the camera setting process. Good photography is something rarely obtained "automatically".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal