Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I adjusted my focus!

Sensor is safe from the glue UNLESS the lens is totally removed from its base.
Few ways to deal with the lens glue when removing it but an easier way is to run a vacuum cleaner as you cut it away to suck the loose **** off.
To adjust the lens to suit your needs, the best way is to connect HDMI to a big screen and watch the screen as you turn the lens. Even better way is to find a focus templet and print it on an A4 sheet, place it whatever distance you like and watching the big screen...turn the lens until the template looks clean on the big screen. Very easy process. BUT BE CAREFUL AND TAKE UR TIME stripping the camera body. A sharp razor blade works perfectly to remove the Glue.
Once u find ur focus point, u can run some glue where the old glue was to stop the lens from vibrating out of focus OR if ur keen enough, unscrew the lens completely and run 1 tickness of thread tape around the lens thread, that will keep it secure and be enough for u to adjust it for ur focus point by hand.
Another tip is to mark the focus point so that in future if u need to do work in there again, u will know where the focus point is when the line u drew lines back up

Last edited:
Don't know if it's the youtube download or this forums embedding, but it looks blurry to me, not to be negative Jimmielee. But if you see it better on your pc then that's all that matters! Good work !, by the way, if you zoom in, the guy on the left, with the ST16 controller in his hand is flipping you the bird! LOL ;)

Reactions: cokeaddict
I havent done anything to my focus because I feel it is good where it is but my eyes arent what they used to be.
This snap from VLC video shot in 2K.
Let me know what y'all think of the focus, color, general quality of the pic. The content is is kinda Meh but there's lots of stuff to look at detail.
vlcsnap-2016-05-25-15h00m44s229_zps2rpacsii.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks about like mine, Not bad, trees in background, leaves are undefinable just like mine, but what's to be expected. i am not going to mess with my focus till it is out of warranty at least, if I even decide too!:)

Looks about like mine, Not bad, trees in background, leaves are undefinable just like mine, but what's to be expected. i am not going to mess with my focus till it is out of warranty at least, if I even decide too!:)
I dont know how to direct upload a picture file into the thread so this one has been uploaded into the Media area and then linked into the thread. As I mentioned, this is a snapshot clip from a video I recorded using VLC so it's possible that the background blurriness is from motion.
Frankly, I dont have any complaints about my video focus. It all looks good to me but I havent recorded in 4K or looked at a 4K recording on a 4K capable machine.

Either both are good or just as bad,lol.

Don't know if it's the youtube download or this forums embedding, but it looks blurry to me, not to be negative Jimmielee. But if you see it better on your pc then that's all that matters! Good work !, by the way, if you zoom in, the guy on the left, with the ST16 controller in his hand is flipping you the bird! LOL ;)

I tried to upload the full picture but no go, had to downsize and I'm sure the forum compressed it.

It does look good on my computer screen and even better on my 60" flat screen.

The guy with the controller (myself) was flying from my house, about half mile away from this park. :cool:

Would like to here from someone who has replaced the lens with the after market one and if it improved it further.

Reactions: DroneClone
I tried to upload the full picture but no go, had to downsize and I'm sure the forum compressed it.

It does look good on my computer screen and even better on my 60" flat screen.

The guy with the controller (myself) was flying from my house, about half mile away from this park. :cool:

Would like to here from someone who has replaced the lens with the after market one and if it improved it further.
Why were you flippin' yourself off ? LOL ! I won't ask!:rolleyes:

I havent done anything to my focus because I feel it is good where it is but my eyes arent what they used to be.
This snap from VLC video shot in 2K.
Let me know what y'all think of the focus, color, general quality of the pic. The content is is kinda Meh but there's lots of stuff to look at detail.
vlcsnap-2016-05-25-15h00m44s229_zps2rpacsii.png
[/URL][/IMG]
What camera were you using? Did you crop this shot? Reason I ask is that it does not look like a Typhoon H image due to the edges (items on edges will be slightly stretched due to the type of lens used). There is no stretching in this photo.

What camera were you using? Did you crop this shot? Reason I ask is that it does not look like a Typhoon H image due to the edges (items on edges will be slightly stretched due to the type of lens used). There is no stretching in this photo.
I will retake the video and be sure it is the H.
I used VLC and took a snap shot from within the video.

I will retake the video and be sure it is the H.
I used VLC and took a snap shot from within the video.

I know the GoPro has software which has the ability to remove any lens distortion on edges. The only Phantom 2 Vision+ had such software as well. I would not be surprised if in future, if Yuneec keeps this lens, that software will be available to do this as well.

Here you go. Point the CGO3+ at the horizon, plug the ST16 into the HDMI port of your HDTV. Focus the lens. yeah it's that easy.
What horizon? All I see from my TV is my wall ;)
Anyway, slightly more seriously, should there not be an optimum focal distance that the lens should be focused to to give the best depth of field? If you focus on the horizon then surely anything close is going to suffer?

I think that may be a problem with adjusting focus, what about the focus in close then?

Here are some tests from me. As you can see at the end, photos are suffering with depth in field.

Attachments

• focus chart.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
Here is a Panavision Focus Chart I've used when I've done my lens swaps on GoPros and my H.
Thanks for posting I use similar for my DSLR lenses, however I would still like to know the optimum focus distance for this lens, there must be one. When you did your swaps did you place the chart a predetermined distance from the lens, focus at several distances and get the best compromise or just guess? Cheers

I think that may be a problem with adjusting focus, what about the focus in close then?

Here are some tests from me. As you can see at the end, photos are suffering with depth in field.

Thanks for making this. Your camera focus looks fine. I posted the following comment on your YouTube video.

"From your test it does appear that if you plan not to do any post-processing of the video, than style Gorgeous is the one to use. It not only provides a bit more saturated colors but also adds sharpness (the distance becomes more sharp). The best style setting of all of them, from your test, appeared to be Natural. Only a tiny bit of sharpness was added and the colors would work fine in most post-processing applications. The RAW could also work with post processing, but it would require several different applications to get it to perfection.... it looks more than soft as if there is limited video info coming in. The ND filters all looked terrible, most likely due to adding another pane of glass. Objects in the distance were very blotchy. I'd say, from your tests, the camera on the Typhoon H is not suited to taking video or photos on bright sunny days, but rather early morning or late evening shots. It does not seem to handle highly exposed objects and blows them out completely. My suggestion, when filming in the day, is to NOT use an ND Filter, but rather just set the Exposure at -0.5 or even -1, depending on the position of the sun (i.e. at an angle or directly overhead)."

Thanks for making this. Your camera focus looks fine. I posted the following comment on your YouTube video.

"From your test it does appear that if you plan not to do any post-processing of the video, than style Gorgeous is the one to use. It not only provides a bit more saturated colors but also adds sharpness (the distance becomes more sharp). The best style setting of all of them, from your test, appeared to be Natural. Only a tiny bit of sharpness was added and the colors would work fine in most post-processing applications. The RAW could also work with post processing, but it would require several different applications to get it to perfection.... it looks more than soft as if there is limited video info coming in. The ND filters all looked terrible, most likely due to adding another pane of glass. Objects in the distance were very blotchy. I'd say, from your tests, the camera on the Typhoon H is not suited to taking video or photos on bright sunny days, but rather early morning or late evening shots. It does not seem to handle highly exposed objects and blows them out completely. My suggestion, when filming in the day, is to NOT use an ND Filter, but rather just set the Exposure at -0.5 or even -1, depending on the position of the sun (i.e. at an angle or directly overhead)."

Thanks a lot captain, you are right, with ND Filters objects in the distance become blotchy.
The idea with changing the exposure is good, never tried that before.
So i will check this out.
Thank You.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech