Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

I did the unthinkable

Sorry for your loss, but glad you made such an honest and detailed post to maybe help others from having a similar event. I will defiantly keep this in mind.

Well lad that's quite an admission and I applaud you for it. First of all only those who do nothing make no mistakes and secondly it's a wise man who knows he isn't. This little tale I'm sure will cause lots of us to remember and always double check prior to flight that the battery has been inserted properly. I also appreciate the fact that you openly discussed what many may view as a dumb error and would never publicly admit they did something like this and instead claim it was some sort of fault caused by the UAS itself. I think you've probably helped to inform others who might have done the same thing and the story for those who took the time to read it will instil in them that a spot check which takes a few seconds at most is less time consuming and costly to deal with than what you've had to do.

Reactions: Niblett
Buying that strobe light and attaching to the gimbal and turning it on was very important and I'm getting more lights and I think I'm going to put them on my batteries rear ends now as a permanent fixed rear light

When you get a chance, would you mind posting a link to the strobe lights that you are using?
I'm considering placing one on the rear of my H.

Well lad that's quite an admission and I applaud you for it. First of all only those who do nothing make no mistakes and secondly it's a wise man who knows he isn't. This little tale I'm sure will cause lots of us to remember and always double check prior to flight that the battery has been inserted properly. I also appreciate the fact that you openly discussed what many may view as a dumb error and would never publicly admit they did something like this and instead claim it was some sort of fault caused by the UAS itself. I think you've probably helped to inform others who might have done the same thing and the story for those who took the time to read it will instil in them that a spot check which takes a few seconds at most is less time consuming and costly to deal with than what you've had to do.

New line on flight check list....

Tug on battery to be sure it's locked in even if you heard it click.

Well since we are all bearing our souls. Just got an H a couple of weeks ago and all was well until I accidentally hit the switch from Angle mode to Home mode while trying to land. Drone was about 10 feet off the ground while I fat fingered the switch it went straight up into a tree limb. I quickly put back in Angle mode but one rotor blade broke and almost got it done safely but was so focused on landing I forgot to lower the gear:( Not to much damage to the camera but was able to get it quickly repaired.

I am very sorry for the crash.

Really respect your insight and honesty to the crash analysis.

Velcro. Think back to before the H and the diy kits with Velcro straps around the battery. I have a Velcro strap across the battery latch on the H. About a month ago when I removed the strap to switch batteries the battery I had been flying with slid out into my lap.

Reactions: Ridelabs
Thanks for sharing your story Craig, hard luck! I've had a couple of crashes now (one my fault, one not) and they aren't pleasant experiences. I hope you're back up and in the air soon.

Can I ask if it was a genuine Yuneec battery?

Thanks for sharing your story Craig, hard luck! I've had a couple of crashes now (one my fault, one not) and they aren't pleasant experiences. I hope you're back up and in the air soon.

Can I ask if it was a genuine Yuneec battery?

It was not. It was a Tatuu (spelling?) I'm checking that now as I've got it down to the frame already. The gimbal vertical arm took the force and bent in half. Oddly, the mount popped off completely without damage to mounting shoe on H or the rails on the gimbal mount top plate. The much debated two pins held the gimbal together fine but the horizontal control motor shaft is bent and the camera cables all separated including ribbons that tore off.

The motor arms seem fine as the LED covers crushed and seems to have taken the force. One LED is out. But, those brass pieces that hold the arm snap in broke on 4 of the 6 arms. I've looked at the Yuneec sight and they have them but says authorized dealer only part. I'm calling around today to find parts. I think the H minus the camera is an under $100.00 repair.

I have to say the more I look at it the more I see the Horizon/Yuneec components and that it's actually pretty easy to fix. The main frame is not cracked or warped so I think it will go back together and fly again. I don't believe the mother board took a hit and damaged any caps or diodes and my power is still correct. I'm impressed with how the cheaper components absorbed the crash and saved the main frame and electronics. Of course the camera took the ultimate sacrifice but that's always the risk with this design with raised gear and a hanging ball of a camera.

Anyone got those clips laying around I'd love to find 4. Those alone is all I need to put it back together and test.

Oh and a weird metal part fell out that looks like it was around something but I've never seen it before in any quad as a part and I don't know if it's critical or not. It fell out while I was disconnecting the camera mount from the frame and maybe was a shield for the gimbal and camera wires? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

T.C.

From what I've seen our batteries appear to have a discharge cut off that triggers at 12.8v. I had one fully discharge in a tree after a fly away and another that I bought used in "good condition" from a seller that had crashed his H. That one was at 12.8v when it arrived at my door.

Side note; Don't buy used batteries from anyone unless you get to test the battery first.
Is that an external function of the "H" or internal to the battery?

It was not. It was a Tatuu (spelling?) I'm checking that now as I've got it down to the frame already. The gimbal vertical arm took the force and bent in half. Oddly, the mount popped off completely without damage to mounting shoe on H or the rails on the gimbal mount top plate. The much debated two pins held the gimbal together fine but the horizontal control motor shaft is bent and the camera cables all separated including ribbons that tore off.

The motor arms seem fine as the LED covers crushed and seems to have taken the force. One LED is out. But, those brass pieces that hold the arm snap in broke on 4 of the 6 arms. I've looked at the Yuneec sight and they have them but says authorized dealer only part. I'm calling around today to find parts. I think the H minus the camera is an under $100.00 repair.

I have to say the more I look at it the more I see the Horizon/Yuneec components and that it's actually pretty easy to fix. The main frame is not cracked or warped so I think it will go back together and fly again. I don't believe the mother board took a hit and damaged any caps or diodes and my power is still correct. I'm impressed with how the cheaper components absorbed the crash and saved the main frame and electronics. Of course the camera took the ultimate sacrifice but that's always the risk with this design with raised gear and a hanging ball of a camera.

Anyone got those clips laying around I'd love to find 4. Those alone is all I need to put it back together and test.

Oh and a weird metal part fell out that looks like it was around something but I've never seen it before in any quad as a part and I don't know if it's critical or not. It fell out while I was disconnecting the camera mount from the frame and maybe was a shield for the gimbal and camera wires? Anyone know what I'm talking about?[/QUOTE]

Oh and a weird metal part fell out that looks like it was around something but I've never seen it before in any quad as a part and I don't know if it's critical or not. It fell out while I was disconnecting the camera mount from the frame and maybe was a shield for the gimbal and camera wires? Anyone know what I'm

Oh and a weird metal part fell out that looks like it was around something but I've never seen it before in any quad as a part and I don't know if it's critical or not. It fell out while I was disconnecting the camera mount from the frame and maybe was a shield for the gimbal and camera wires? Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Craig

Craig
Try the following for those clips.

2100 10th Street, Suite 300 | Plano, TX 75074

Direct: 214.453.5600 x 646 | F: 972-423-1268

www.fortsol.com | [email protected]

They repaired my drone quickly and did a very good job. They carry a full set of repair parts for the H

Sorry to hear about this. I had a near miss myself where i thought the battery was fully installed and it wasn't. I picked my H up to position for flight and the battery popped. My mind raced at all the horrible things that could have happened if that battery fell out during flight. I now triple check to confirm my battery is fully installed. I hope yuneec improves the design for future models, because the H can give the notion of an installed battery, when its not fully installed. There's not much i can say that will help u overcome frustration, but im glad u were able to find the downed H.

Despite the subject matter this is a very good post. It shows that:-
a) This could happen to anyone
b) It's never one thing, it's a series of events that causes a crash

I don't know about anybody else but this will hopefully make me a better pilot.

Thank you Craig.

I suspect the above is a pretty common theme with total power loss events.

Craig,

Really sorry to hear you put one in the dirt, regardless of the cause. However, it's great to read how you assessed the situation and developed a means to assure it doesn't happen again.

A suggestion; if and when we experience a fly away or power loss, don't turn off the ST-16. Take a few moments to note the last GPS position displayed on the screen. From personal experience, that data reference can lead you right to where the H is sitting, or very close to it. Just input the location data into Google Earth.
I've not needed it yet, thankfully, but as a 'cheap insurance policy', I've added a Marco Polo to my H. To test it, I placed the MP tag in the woods near my house and then had a friend (who deliberately was not watching where I went) go find it. He found it quickly and easily, and that's just the little tag, not attached to a sUAS.

Craig, thank you for the event details and analysis. I know I will be more careful about the "click of life".TH w MP.jpg

Well done Craig. That's a very honest report which will help us all.
As for the strobe:
I bought this off the internet for about £13 but can't find the information for the web site.
( found it )
Strobon Standalone LED Strobe Light - USB Rechargeable

I 3D printed the box.
It needs to be similar shape as the H or it won't glue properly.

Jim

Attachments

• Typhoon strobe on.jpg
    Typhoon strobe on.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20170528_113310.jpg
    20170528_113310.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
Well done Craig. That's a very honest report which will help us all.
As for the strobe:
I bought this off the internet for about £13 but can't find the information for the web site.
( found it )
Strobon Standalone LED Strobe Light - USB Rechargeable

I 3D printed the box.
It needs to be similar shape as the H or it won't glue properly.

Jim
Carolina Dronez has them in stock now. I wanted a set of those for my "H" and could not find them in the USA. I tried to buy them from the source in the UK and ran into one road block after another.
I had Carolina Dronz on speed dial and pestered them until they called me. Good people there at "CD"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace