Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ice on the Typhoon H

What is the general thinking regarding cold weather flying? I live in Maine and not to borrow a phrase from John Snow but Winter is coming...
I plan on flying but want to be as safe as possible and protect my H. Any suggestions?

What is the general thinking regarding cold weather flying? I live in Maine and not to borrow a phrase from John Snow but Winter is coming...
I plan on flying but want to be as safe as possible and protect my H. Any suggestions?
Living in Canada's capital city our coldest months are January/February. I've had no issues in the past flying drones in crazy temps. I'm expecting the Typhoon to work well.

Some things I've learned:

Landings for me are 100% hand catch unless you've packed down snow.

Battery life is only affected if you leave the batteries exposed to the cold. I put two batteries under my jacket against my chest. When one goes in the drone I then put a cold one under my jacket.

A few feet of snow will save a drone when it tumbles down to the ground.

Gloves with tablet sensitive fingers are a bonus.

When there is a wind I wear a balaclava on my face to avoid my face from going numb as I look up at the sky.

And finally.... the thick cold air will cause the drone to rise up faster and fly faster so movements can sometime require a slightly softer touch.

Happy flying!

One of the first demo videos I saw of the H was around Jan / Feb from a reviewer at a sky resort in Minnesota. Lots of snow and cold, yet the H seemed to be performing just fine. I'm in Michigan and have every intention of flying in the winter. My only advise would be to keep the batteries warm until use because they work better warm but allow the H to be cold so the camera lens doesn't fog up. I'm also going to use gloves with exposed finger tips. One last thing, remember plastic gets brittle in the cold so don't stress any plastic parts unnecessarily. My only concern is how the latch on the folding arms will hold up.

Winter flying is pretty fun. Time to put the skis on the Cub.

Greg

boy i'm glad i live in florida no snow down here LOLi did live up in new york be fore i retired and got sick of snow

I have both hand warmers and an insulated "sandwich" bag for the batteries. I'm looking forward to the snow! The fall has been really amazing although the leaves should all be gone by Monday morning with the wind and rain that's about to arrive.

Attachments

• BBC_A1.jpg
    BBC_A1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Wow those are amazing pics. Looks like you've got a great vista to step out on to.
Do you find the bird to fly any better with the legs down? (If you just forgot to put them than the question doesn't apply...I do that all time.)

You'll regret those cut tip gloves. Been there, done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcecleaning