Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

### IMPORTANT ###

I have a question not pointed at the FAA or AMA.
How do we stop all of our local cities from outlawing drone flying. More and more parks are starting to put up signs that say "No Drone flying Allowed"
So the only place to fly will be out in the country away from everything. And then there is the general public that just think every drone out there is spying on them.
Must be a lot of people doing illegal activities. Go figure. I'm not interested in what they're doing just my flying period

The only one making noise on this forum is you my friend! This forum is all about multirotors, so just flip on over to your AMA Forum! I am sure you will get alot of cuddles from them, but not here! by the way, if you could read, you would see that I had and do have fixed wing airplanes, but I just choose to not be affiliated with the AMA, You are the only one who is pushing the AMA onto members of a multirotor forum. I have never put the AMA down, just stated my rights as a US Citizen to have a choice to tell you, I am not interested in your AMA, as others can express they are!
You are Waaaay to sensitive my friend!;)

All I was saying in my post was that belonging to a Community Based Organization such as the AMA gives you some perks as a hobbyist flyer that you won't and can't enjoy otherwise. I do believe there are problems within the AMA but that is not my point. In my opinion the fact that multi rotor hobbyists have shunned the AMA is the reason the AMA is not happy with us. Regardless if you like them or not they will do more good to promote your rights as a hobbyist flyer than not. So even if you hate them why not support them and let them fight the fight to protect your rights. No one else is doing anything so what do you have to lose in supporting them. Anything they win is a win for you however ungrateful you might be.

Membership in the AMA does not provide any special legal perks for hobby flyers. What does is following the safety rules of a community based organization. There's nothing from the Feds or FAA that state anyone has to belong to one. Following those safety rules does support your ability to fly above 400' and at night but there's a caveat. Note the largest community based organization provides reference to operating at an AMA sanctioned flying field where a standard flight line is used to separate people from flying models. If you are not flying in a manner that complies with such a lay out you are not following the safety policies of the AMA CBO.

If you registered yourself to cover your aircraft with the FAA you agreed in writing at least twice to abide by the illegal 400' altitude limit. You also agreed not to fly at night. Without that agreement there was no legal way to prohibit night flying at this time, regardless of any organization you might belong to. How those registration agreements would hold up in court is an unknown at this time.

Anyone can fly within 5 miles of a great many airports. Amateurs should notify ATC of their presence. People should pay very close attention to the airspace type they are flying in though. Amateur or commercial, as law is currently being used violating B,C,D, or E airspace can quickly put you up for a careless and reckless operation of an aircraft award, an award where you get to pay the FAA $21,000.00 in fines.

Regardless of what and where you fly, YOU are the one responsible for maintaining safe separation and collision avoidance from manned aviation of any type. Should you choose to interfere with manned flight operations in any way with the operation of your model, or believe your "right to fly" should mean you can do anything you want, anywhere you want, your education will likely be extremely expensive. Hopefully that education does not also come at the expense of an aviator's life.

Personally, I support the restriction of model activity at and near airports conducting passenger and freight flights. We don't belong there and never have. I'll even assist enforcement actions against people I see flying stupid. It's only the recent addition of morons and idiots flying multirotors that refuse to become cognizant of airspace and general safety practices that seem to think they have a right to fly anywhere they want. Until the introduction of multirotors and automated flight systems there were no problems caused by people flying RC in U.S. airspace. I fully support sensible rules and regulations to both preserve our hobby and to prevent injury to non participating people and property.

BTW, I've been a member of the AMA for almost 30 years and that membership is ending after this year.

Reactions: DroneClone
The only one making noise on this forum is you my friend! This forum is all about multirotors, so just flip on over to your AMA Forum! I am sure you will get alot of cuddles from them, but not here! by the way, if you could read, you would see that I had and do have fixed wing airplanes, but I just choose to not be affiliated with the AMA, You are the only one who is pushing the AMA onto members of a multirotor forum. I have never put the AMA down, just stated my rights as a US Citizen to have a choice to tell you, I am not interested in your AMA, as others can express they are!
You are Waaaay to sensitive my friend!;)
Let's all agree To disagree. If I receive any further reports there will be warnings issued. This goes for everyone.

AMA members may continue flying FPV

We are writing to address some recent confusion as to whether the new federal commercial drone rules (Small Unmanned Aircraft Rule Part 107) impact AMA members and model aircraft enthusiasts who fly for recreational and educational purposes.

First, we would like to reaffirm that Part 107 does not change anything for AMA members. As an AMA member, you are exempt from the additional regulations in Part 107 as long as you are flying for recreational or educational purposes and fully complying with AMA’s safety guidelines. This is what Congress intended when it passed the Special Rule for Model Aircraft in the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act, also known as Section 336. And, as stated in previous communications, this also means you do not need any additional certificate to fly.

Second, for those flying first-person view (FPV), we understand that a recent Forbes article has made the issue of regulatory compliance even more confusing. In that article, the FAA was quoted as saying that as of August 29th, anyone flying FPV needs to obtain a Remote Pilot certificate and follow the provisions of Part 107.

Although this is true for anyone who is not fully complying with Section 336, based on pending litigation with the FAA, we are advising AMA members that flying FPV with a spotter under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft remains acceptable as long as you continue to fly according to the AMA Safety Code and AMA’s safety guidelines for FPV operations in Document 550.

Please rest assured that we have been in ongoing conversations with the FAA about FPV flying and other areas of concern related to the Interpretive Rule. We anticipate that the FAA will clarify the Interpretative Rule by the end of the year, which will help resolve the FPV issue for good.

So, why can AMA members continue flying FPV the same way as before?

As you may also be aware, in August 2014 AMA filed a petition with the U.S. Court of Appeals asking for a judiciary review of the FAA’s interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (the Interpretative Rule). As stated in our petition, we believe the FAA’s Interpretive Rule misinterprets the intent of Congress in several areas, including the requirement to remain within visual line of sight of the operator as it relates to the use of FPV goggles. Right now, the court proceedings are on hold as the FAA reviews over 33,000 public comments submitted in response to the Interpretive Rule.

With the court proceedings held in abeyance, enforcement actions based upon the provisions in the Interpretative Rule are also on hold. So, until the FAA completes its review of the public comments, publishes its conclusions and makes any further clarification/revision to the Interpretive Rule, the status quo remains in effect for AMA members. It should be noted, however, that this does not preclude the FAA from taking enforcement action against careless and reckless acts that truly endanger the national airspace.

In the meantime, we encourage all AMA members to continue flying and enjoying our hobby as you have before, following AMA’s safety guidelines and educational programming.

Thank you for your patience as we continue to advocate and protect our hobby of flying model aircraft.

AMA members may continue flying FPV | AMA Government Relations Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval