Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is the Typhoon H Still worth buying?

Reaction score
I had the typhoon q500+ and I loved it as my first drone except that the camera only took 1080p video. I was thinking about buying a new drone and I think this would be one of my best options. It seems to take good video, comparable to the DJI 4k cameras and I love the controller, the ability to have everything you need on the android based touch screen. I'm just wondering if I should wait if they are possibly going to come out with a new consumer drone or to pick this one up.

To the best of my knowledge, there is not going to be a replacement for the H this year - it will remain the leading pro-sumer drone from Yuneec whilst they're focusing on launching the H520 professional model in the tier above. There are going to be more camera options filtering down from the H520, so that opens up a few more possibilities as well. To be clear though, I don't have any inside information on Yuneec's roadmap so this is just a guess based on what they've announced.

When technology is rapidly evolving there is no 'perfect' time to buy - there will always be a newer model around the corner, and existing models will steadily get cheaper. However, the H has evolved into a good platform and if it suits your needs I'd keep your eye out for a good deal.

Last edited:
The Typhoon 520 has just been released.
No one has one yet that I am aware of. Looks like the H but slightly larger, bit more flight time and you can order a 3x zoom camera or use the CGO3+.
I chose the H over dji mainly due to everything was included, and Yuneec had much better customer support.
I do not regret my purchase.

What is better about the 520? Higher grade components (motors, electronics etc.)? More robust frame? Better firmware with more options? Higher quality battery system including individual batt cell monitoring (look down inside an H......they thought about it).

Surely for $3000 +/- it's more than basically a better camera.

I have a TH and a Mavic pro. I like very much the TH. Buying electronics is a balance between timing and enjoyment, Do you want to maybe, wait a year or more for a newer Yuneec or enjoy this fabulous machine now. To me the camera is excellent, retractable landing gear, 360 continuous camera rotation, smooth flying.

Reactions: Chris McMillan
I had the typhoon q500+ and I loved it as my first drone except that the camera only took 1080p video. I was thinking about buying a new drone and I think this would be one of my best options. It seems to take good video, comparable to the DJI 4k cameras and I love the controller, the ability to have everything you need on the android based touch screen. I'm just wondering if I should wait if they are possibly going to come out with a new consumer drone or to pick this one up.
I would get one, but I would wait for a price drop or sale. I see some retailers are starting to drop the price, but I would be surprised if it doesn't go down even more.

In Canada, they have gone down to $1399 CAD from $1799 CAD without Real Sense. I got mine for $999 CAD in December, and the retailer told me to wait till the drone season hits ( May/June ), then come back as he indicated that there will be a price drop again then. I trust him as he has always been correct with my camera gear.

Here's hoping as I want a second for parts, and the old firmware, as I am not interested in the new features the new firmware comes with. Worked fine with the old firmware for me.

Murray

Reactions: medic72494
What is better about the 520? Higher grade components (motors, electronics etc.)? More robust frame? Better firmware with more options? Higher quality battery system including individual batt cell monitoring (look down inside an H......they thought about it).

Surely for $3000 +/- it's more than basically a better camera.

I was told by Yuneec UK that Yuneec have set up a dedicated software team in Zurich for the H520 and H920. This means bug fixes within an hour, and EU and United States requests can be implemented very quickly.
The Typhoon H and lower platforms will still be coded in China, but I assume development will slow down on these platforms. I think this fact alone will really make the more 'pro' platforms stand out in the future

Murray,

You are aware you can set the system back to factory defaults, upload the corrective 1.28 firmware, and then upload the firmware version of your choice from those that have saved them, yes?

For the money you get a **** of a good craft. If you have a little extra in your pocket though and want a really good camera and double the flight time the P4 Pro or Advanced with a 1 inch camera sensor is hard to beat.

Murray,

You are aware you can set the system back to factory defaults, upload the corrective 1.28 firmware, and then upload the firmware version of your choice from those that have saved them, yes?
Firmware is typically flashed to a system's bios ( permanent ). When that is done, usually the only way to go back, is through the manufacturer doing it by replacing the bios. I have often wondered if Yuneec set up a different way to do it as it is Android based, which uses a different process for flashing, making it not a true flash or firmware, but more of a system update to be able to roll back. Supposed to rain today, but if I can find even a small window of good weather, I will take the hour and a half ride to the bald flat area that is one of the only ones left to fly in Canada and see what happens. Good thinking though.

I hope it is still worth buying. I just picked mine up the day before yesterday. I took her out on her maiden flight yesterday and it was awesome. I was trying to decide which brand to go with but picked Yuneec. So far I am extremely excited.

I picked up a Pro RS at the Dortmund Model show for 1249 Euro and love it! Also worth watching Amazon Warehouse returns as these price up pretty well with Europe best prices at Amazon.de and then amazon.com in the US. Tempted to pick up a Mavic Fly more when in the US. Amazon Warehouse price is around 1100usd which is £894. That's £400 less than the UK price.

I have a TH and a Mavic pro. I like very much the TH. Buying electronics is a balance between timing and enjoyment, Do you want to maybe, wait a year or more for a newer Yuneec or enjoy this fabulous machine now. To me the camera is excellent, retractable landing gear, 360 continuous camera rotation, smooth flying.
Well said Ernesto!

Reactions: Ernesto

Absolutely! I've had mine for 9 months now and I've been very happy. In fact, the proof is in the pudding, so here's the first promo I did using the Typhoon H:

I hope it is still worth buying. I just picked mine up the day before yesterday. I took her out on her maiden flight yesterday and it was awesome. I was trying to decide which brand to go with but picked Yuneec. So far I am extremely excited.
How is the Typhoon H treating you now? I decided to go ahead and pick up myself one because I don't want to spend more money on a DJI drone which also requires a phone to use the majority of the features and plus I am an android guy anyways, so the ST 16 controller suits me.

How is the Typhoon H treating you now? I decided to go ahead and pick up myself one because I don't want to spend more money on a DJI drone which also requires a phone to use the majority of the features and plus I am an android guy anyways, so the ST 16 controller suits me.
Good choice. I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine. Fly safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots