Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just passed my FAA Part 107 Test

I will be asking for that, only because practically the entire city of Palm Springs falls within the airport, but I also plan on meeting with the airport administrator and requesting permission for flights up to a max height limit of 100' possibly even 50-75'. Unless I'm shooting a large compound/estate property I can't see the need to fly much higher than that to capture a property.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The FAA has forbidden ATC/Airport Operators from granting such permissions. You'll have to go through the FAA website to request a waiver. Congrats on passing the 107! I'm taking mine on Friday!

Reactions: ChadCloses
Congrats on passing! Hope to join you by the end of the year.

The FAA has forbidden ATC/Airport Operators from granting such permissions. You'll have to go through the FAA website to request a waiver. Congrats on passing the 107! I'm taking mine on Friday!

Good luck Sensor!!! I'm sure you'll kill it. I had not heard about the permission from airport admin's changing to strictly FAA, but I will look into that, I thought I just saw a recent video where they stated you could get permission from airports.

Chad

Congratulations ChadCloses. Spent some time in Palm Springs several years ago and from seeing the layout there I think you will find yourself needing to fly at more than 100' example Bob Hopes old house you would need be up pretty high to capture the property

You got some big estates and a lot of golf courses that you may find a need to fly on

It would be nice to take the lift up to the top and be able to see the entire valley

Good luck and fly as often as you can

@Air One, I had a call a couple of weeks ago for a job to 3D image Elvis Presley's old Palm Springs home but they also wanted drone shots. I told them I couldn't do it because 1. I didn't have my license yet and 2. That would require permission because it's controlled air space and there is no time frame when approval would be received, if at all. I didn't get the job, but I do know who they hired a week later and if I see drone shots I'll be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ChadCloses, sorry you did not get the job , Funny you mention Elvis, I spent several years working for Steve Wynn in Vegas, and in that time met many of his friends and one of those was Priscilla Presley, very beautiful and was nice to be around, he had a couple of houses there I think, was it the one on West Chino Canyon Road or the Ladera one, both are nice. The 2 months I spent out there many years ago I really enjoyed it, very beautiful and of course the weather was great. And you sure have plenty of beautiful golf courses.

Are you doing the 3D mapping if so what is your software you are using.

With your forum name I say your a realtor so you have some beautiful properties to work with. Hopefully you get your 107 car soon , it does take a bit once you pass and submit everything.

Do you know if the people they hired have all the correct credentials

Take care and fly as often as you can

I have a Matterport camera so I 3D image homes. I am a realtor but also provide photography services to other realtors, which is why I added the drone. I'm going to find out if the other photographer was 107 approved once I see the photos. There are some gorgeous homes here. I have a friend that's selling their 12,000 sq ft home in Rancho Santa Fe for 7+ million and are buying here through me. So it's nice when you get a big client like that! Here's their home in Rancho that I imaged for them:

Explore 17639 Loma Linda Drive in 3D

Regarding waiver requests, the following is copied from an FAA press release dated 8/29/16.

"The provisions of the new rule – formally known as Part 107 –are designed to minimize risks to other aircraft and people and property on the ground. A summary is available here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

Effective today, the FAA has several processes in place to help users take advantage of the rule:

• Waivers. The agency is offering a process to waive some of the rule’s restrictions if an operator demonstrates the proposed flight will be conducted safely under a waiver. Users must apply for these waivers at the online portal located at www.faa.gov/UAS
The FAA is issuing more than 70 waivers today, based on petitions for Section 333 exemptions. These waivers will be posted on September1. The majority of the approved waivers were for night operations under Part 107.

• Airspace Authorization. Users can operate their unmanned aircraft in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace without air traffic control permission. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace need air traffic approval. Users must request access to controlled airspace via the electronic portal at www.faa.gov/UAS.
The FAA will evaluate airspace authorization requests using a phased approach.

Operators may submit their requests starting today, but air traffic facilities will receive approved authorizations, if granted, according to the following tentative schedule:

Class D & E Surface Area October 3, 2016

Class C October 31, 2016

Class B December 5, 2016

The FAA will make every effort to approve requests as soon as possible, but the actual processing time will vary, depending on the complexity of an individual request and the volume of applications the FAA receives. The agency is urging users to submit requests at least 90 days before they intend to fly in controlled airspace."

Regarding waiver requests, the following is copied from an FAA press release dated 8/29/16.

"The provisions of the new rule – formally known as Part 107 –are designed to minimize risks to other aircraft and people and property on the ground. A summary is available here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

Effective today, the FAA has several processes in place to help users take advantage of the rule:

• Waivers. The agency is offering a process to waive some of the rule’s restrictions if an operator demonstrates the proposed flight will be conducted safely under a waiver. Users must apply for these waivers at the online portal located at www.faa.gov/UAS
The FAA is issuing more than 70 waivers today, based on petitions for Section 333 exemptions. These waivers will be posted on September1. The majority of the approved waivers were for night operations under Part 107.

• Airspace Authorization. Users can operate their unmanned aircraft in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace without air traffic control permission. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace need air traffic approval. Users must request access to controlled airspace via the electronic portal at www.faa.gov/UAS.
The FAA will evaluate airspace authorization requests using a phased approach.

Operators may submit their requests starting today, but air traffic facilities will receive approved authorizations, if granted, according to the following tentative schedule:

Class D & E Surface Area October 3, 2016

Class C October 31, 2016

Class B December 5, 2016

The FAA will make every effort to approve requests as soon as possible, but the actual processing time will vary, depending on the complexity of an individual request and the volume of applications the FAA receives. The agency is urging users to submit requests at least 90 days before they intend to fly in controlled airspace."

Thanks PatR!!

Very interesting, I see the first option to select is a waiver to fly from a moving vehicle or Aircraft. Why would they have aircraft when we've been told that isn't permissible and a you could not request a waiver for that?

When you dig into the text of the 107 law you will come across a section where they reference flight from vehicles. In general it is not an approved activity but the law does break out some qualifiers that allow such an activity. Without a moving vehicle allowance there would be no possibility of aerial filming some cinema operations. Since Part 333 came before Part 107, at the request of those performing movie studio cinema work, it likely wasn't possible to permit aerial ops from moving vehicles in 333 ops but deny them in 107 ops. Commercial activity of one type can be differentiated from commercial activity of another type but thankfully we didn't see that happen too much in 107.

Not being judgmental, but the fine points of commercial drone ops is an area where those that study and learn the actual documentation (including aviation regulations, charts, and weather) end up with a much broader and more accurate understanding of their permissible and prohibited activities than those that cram for specific test questions and answers. It's a lot more work to learn but you can walk out the door every day knowing what you can or can't do, and how they may need to be done. You also know where to find the official information to clarify any "grey" areas.

Well I studied for awhile and passed my test on the first try. Surprisingly, they asked me none of the hard questions I thought they would. Why do I always study the wrong stuff for a test!!! Lol Just wanted to give a shout out to Terrestrial Imaging, I took several of their 60 question tests for review, I also used RemotePilot101.com for my classes and their tests as well.

Chad

Congratulations on passing your FAA Commercial Drone test; I also passed my test this Monday with a 90% (had to say that) and I study with RemotePilot101.
Test of course seem to only have few of questions in program, but was pretty good. Already been asked about doing some Real Estate work! I think the hard
part is going to be now after the test is taken!

AJ

Also, I had absolutely NO Long/Lat Questions no where is the airplane relative to the runway questions, which really pissed me off!! Lol

I had few Lon/Lat and one on how manned aircraft should enter the pattern, so UAV pilots know where to watch, and I also just bought a Yaesu FTA-750L radio
to use to listen while being anywhere near airports, even if not in ATC area! **** I have power lines by my property that are check by helicopter every three months!

Congratulations on passing your FAA Commercial Drone test; I also passed my test this Monday with a 90% (had to say that) and I study with RemotePilot101.
Test of course seem to only have few of questions in program, but was pretty good. Already been asked about doing some Real Estate work! I think the hard
part is going to be now after the test is taken!

AJ

Yeah I just got asked to do 2 jobs for the same realtor. Only problem is one house is pretty close to a small public airport but I can fly there. Just have to find out what their flight restriction is. Another though is in Palm Springs. I'm going to need a waiver for that one. I also need to start working with video editing software. Thinking about buying a subscription to Adobe Premier Pro. I really need to figure out that software fast.

For all of you that have passed or are studying for the 107 aeronautical knowledge test using quick study guides. Please do yourselves a favor, and everyone you will be asking later about what you can and can't do. Download a copy of the 107 law text and read it front to back a few times. Your knowledge of what can and can't be done, and the rules that must be followed, will be vastly increased.

Just passing the test does not mean you are ready to be a commercial operator.

For all of you that have passed or are studying for the 107 aeronautical knowledge test using quick study guides. Please do yourselves a favor, and everyone you will be asking later about what you can and can't do. Download a copy of the 107 law text and read it front to back a few times. Your knowledge of what can and can't be done, and the rules that must be followed, will be vastly increased.

Just passing the test does not mean you are ready to be a commercial operator.
Amen to that

Yeah I just got asked to do 2 jobs for the same realtor. Only problem is one house is pretty close to a small public airport but I can fly there. Just have to find out what their flight restriction is. Another though is in Palm Springs. I'm going to need a waiver for that one. I also need to start working with video editing software. Thinking about buying a subscription to Adobe Premier Pro. I really need to figure out that software fast.

Lynda.com is a food way to learn Premiere Pro fast

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33