Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Kind of disappointed with the range on my Typhoon H

I do not fly out of line of sight per say, I wanted a after market antenna to give me better signal quality for shorter flights for filming and less break up of signal strength, But yes, for the "long ball hitters" They may have a issue, but then if they are looking for range of miles out, they are flying the wrong platform to begin with!, the H was designed as a photography drone, not a long distance flyer!. And Chevy Rules! LOL !;)

Been there done that.
Cream of the Crop! LOL !;)

full

I picked up my new H a few days ago and I flew it twice before the third time today. The first two flights I just buzzed around an empty field near my house with the bird maybe being I'd say tops 700ft in distance. It flew fine and I was pretty happy with the initial flight(s). I then ordered and received my FPVLR kit thinking this would easily give me 75% to 100% increase in the factory range of the H.

So today I decided to fly the bird farther than before. I was probably around 1800ft (in distance) away from my bird and that's when the video began to stutter. I started to get nervous because I couldn't see the bird in that distance. I still had some video so I could see in which direction the bird was pointed in. So I pushed the stick forward in hopes that once it got closer to me I would regain full video. Thankfully that worked and everything was fine. I was flying near some power lines but I wouldn't think that would affect my video range that drastically.

Supposedly these birds are suppose to fly up to 1 mile which is like 5000 feet. I'm wondering how the heck this can be done when my video began to get choppy at around 1800ft. I was thinking I should easily be able to do around 3000 to 4000 feet especially since I upgraded my ST16 with the FPVLR setup. I know the H isn't suppose to have the same range as the modern day Phantoms but come on. Surely they can at least handle more than half of what Yuneec advertises?
Thank you so very much for this coment. You just made up my mind for me. Inspire it is ;) The thought of being 1000ft away and the video going out scares the crap out of me and DJIs light bridge is awesome.

Thank you so very much for this coment. You just made up my mind for me. Inspire it is ;) The thought of being 1000ft away and the video going out scares the crap out of me and DJIs light bridge is awesome.
On todays market, for the money, you can't beat Lightbridge. If you're going to fly out of line of sight then Lightbridge is the way to go.

HOWEVER.... Lightbridge does not stutter the image like WiFi. When you're out of range your screen just goes blank immediately and all signal is lost, so you really have to put trust in RTH and have your RTH settings correct, and have sufficient battery power to get back. Believe me when I say that many DJI owners did not account for this and then told everyone they had a fly away when in reality it was pilot error.

Reactions: jmkreege
I have gotten out over 4000 ft consistently no signal loss at all, that was with my DBS. I have gotten out around 27-2800 ft with stock antenna before it was out LOS, this I've done many times with still no loss of signal, I use DBS just for a guaranteed signal strength.

Reactions: DroneClone
On todays market, for the money, you can't beat Lightbridge. If you're going to fly out of line of sight then Lightbridge is the way to go.

HOWEVER.... Lightbridge does not stutter the image like WiFi. When you're out of range your screen just goes blank immediately and all signal is lost, so you really have to put trust in RTH and have your RTH settings correct, and have sufficient battery power to get back. Believe me when I say that many DJI owners did not account for this and then told everyone they had a fly away when in reality it was pilot error.
Agreed. Lightbridge blows standard wifi out of the water with distance and latency. Try flying the H FPV around any objects and see how long you stay in the air :)

Agreed. Lightbridge blows standard wifi out of the water with distance and latency. Try flying the H FPV around any objects and see how long you stay in the air :)
Funny how all you Dji guys tripped over each other to buy the H.

Shame on us for falling for the marketing hype. I fly the H, P4 and Inspire Pro and the H did seem to offer some advantages at a nice price point. The wifi issue is the same as what was experienced with pre-lightbridge DJI units. Functional, but barely acceptable once you're accustomed to a low latency video feed. Couple that with the stuttering and it's pretty painful.

Not a "DJI guy" at all, just looking for the best value out there. I am still holding onto the H in hopes that some of the issues get polished out in firmware. Also have the ITELITE antenna coming to see if that helps the video feed.

Reactions: jarvis
I picked up my new H a few days ago and I flew it twice before the third time today. The first two flights I just buzzed around an empty field near my house with the bird maybe being I'd say tops 700ft in distance. It flew fine and I was pretty happy with the initial flight(s). I then ordered and received my FPVLR kit thinking this would easily give me 75% to 100% increase in the factory range of the H.

So today I decided to fly the bird farther than before. I was probably around 1800ft (in distance) away from my bird and that's when the video began to stutter. I started to get nervous because I couldn't see the bird in that distance. I still had some video so I could see in which direction the bird was pointed in. So I pushed the stick forward in hopes that once it got closer to me I would regain full video. Thankfully that worked and everything was fine. I was flying near some power lines but I wouldn't think that would affect my video range that drastically.

Supposedly these birds are suppose to fly up to 1 mile which is like 5000 feet. I'm wondering how the heck this can be done when my video began to get choppy at around 1800ft. I was thinking I should easily be able to do around 3000 to 4000 feet especially since I upgraded my ST16 with the FPVLR setup. I know the H isn't suppose to have the same range as the modern day Phantoms but come on. Surely they can at least handle more than half of what Yuneec advertises?

I had the same problem and returned my Fpvlr kit. Got about same distance as my stock antennas, so just now ordered the DBS kit. Should be here Tuesday! Anyhow I've done flying high for better reception and such, but my problem just might be that I live in a mountainous region compared to people who live in flat lands or by oceans that pull those 5000' - 9000' distances. From what I see on YouTube videos. Could that be your dilemma as well? I live around 5320' from sea level and Colorado mountains to the north of me and desert hills and mild mountains around me with trees. Even flying high above trees and standing atop of the tallest hill in my area, the Fpvlr did as good as my stock antennas plus I had 20 gps satellites on my controllers display.

Shame on us for falling for the marketing hype. I fly the H, P4 and Inspire Pro and the H did seem to offer some advantages at a nice price point. The wifi issue is the same as what was experienced with pre-lightbridge DJI units. Functional, but barely acceptable once you're accustomed to a low latency video feed. Couple that with the stuttering and it's pretty painful.

Not a "DJI guy" at all, just looking for the best value out there. I am still holding onto the H in hopes that some of the issues get polished out in firmware. Also have the ITELITE antenna coming to see if that helps the video feed.
Just tried the DBS today. It may be me but I could not see any improvement. First flight out to 2000' plus all was well, still getting stutter but not badly enough to affect filming. 2nd flight tried to go for distance but could not really get beyond 2500' or so and lost wifi, waited a good 2 mins for reconnect and then brought her home. I was also getting random disconnects very close to home, one of them being the landing gear glitch. I have been to 3700' on the stock antennas though it was difficult to operate due to lag.

Just tried the DBS today. It may be me but I could not see any improvement. First flight out to 2000' plus all was well, still getting stutter but not badly enough to affect filming. 2nd flight tried to go for distance but could not really get beyond 2500' or so and lost wifi, waited a good 2 mins for reconnect and then brought her home. I was also getting random disconnects very close to home, one of them being the landing gear glitch. I have been to 3700' on the stock antennas though it was difficult to operate due to lag.

Just curious is your area flat, rolling hills, mountains, etc?

I use to be a DJI guy until I got bored. I decided to by an H due to the awesomeness of the retractable landing gear and the ST16 controller. Unfortunately though FPV is of 100% importance to me on any decent distance and that looks like its not going to happen on my H. WIFI connectivity clearly shows its limitations on my setup which is why I'm going back to DJI.

I use to be a DJI guy until I got bored. I decided to by an H due to the awesomeness of the retractable landing gear and the ST16 controller. Unfortunately though FPV is of 100% importance to me on any decent distance and that looks like its not going to happen on my H. WIFI connectivity clearly shows its limitations on my setup which is why I'm going back to DJI.
I am still a DJI guy and H guy, and I have no issue with stock antennas getting to 2,000 + feet with out a flicker of a problem, Do not know why some are having a issue? Unless it's all about location! H fly's great!

No one in their right mind bought the 'H' based on range. If you already have range with a DJI product then you really don't mind the limited range of the 'H'. As a long time DJI product owner, I bought the 'H' for reasons othet than range of flight.

Reactions: DroneClone
No one in their right mind bought the 'H' based on range. If you already have range with a DJI product then you really don't mind the limited range of the 'H'. As a long time DJI product owner, I bought the 'H' for reasons othet than range of flight.
Yep. I literally bought it for the "coolness" factor. She's a beauty!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis