Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing Pads

IMO, the Hoodman is a good balance. I have the 3' version and its heavy enough that even my Inspire's prop-wash won't affect it. The Hoodman, since its foldable, does fold up small enough to not be a burden when having to hike some place with it.

But as you state it weight is a factor. In that if I'm truly hiking somewhere, I usually leave it at home...

Some of the responses in here suggest a soft roll up pad is more desirable for them. There are so many ways to do that creating a new product of that nature isn't justifiable.

Soft pads have a problem with being too light and possibly blowing away or lifting under prop wash and need to be secured unless heavy enough to resist wind. If heavy enough to do that, even being flexible people won't want to lug them around.

Arnhem,

If I do the rigid pad and desire some kind of graphic design I'll get in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what I just bought myself for my birthday. Love it so far and it folds up to take no space and came with a nice nylon bag.

IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2094.JPG

Nope, you will need a truck but all us guys have trucks don't we LOL
I mean the wife has the mini van and we have the mans truck right :)
Who wants a landing pad that folds up and gets stuffed into your wifes purse ....not me. Go big or go home LOL

Nope, you will need a truck but all us guys have trucks don't we LOL
I mean the wife has the mini van and we have the mans truck right :)
Who wants a landing pad that folds up and gets stuffed into your wifes purse ....not me. Go big or go home LOL

Crap Okay see ya later, i have to go home :(

Reactions: KBflyer
I currently use either the YTH box for take-off and landing, or, a mat, depending on where I am flying. I designed the mat myself and had it printed on heavy duty vinyl. It is 1500 X 1500mm - works a treat. I have posted this image on another thread here too. Obviously, the artwork on this current mat was done prior to me owning the YTH.

Attachments

• UAV_Mat.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Well I was just playing with this take off stuff. I to have a mat I use on locations. Its made out of paper machine dryer fabric. I worked on a paper machine for 38 years before I retired and have a good supply of the stuff. Its just the right weight where the props don't move it and it is easy to roll up and move to the next location.
Its all synthetic and will never rot or were out :)
DryerMain.jpg

20150810_203249.jpg

When I bought my Q500 a couple of years ago I wanted a really nice Lighted Helipad for it. After a lot of searching I was unable to find one that even came close to what I wanted. So I set out on a mission to build exactly what I wanted...Here it is :

Attachments

• 2015-05-19 10.26.23-1.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2015-05-19 10.32.05.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 57
When I bought my Q500 a couple of years ago I wanted a really nice Lighted Helipad for it. After a lot of searching I was unable to find one that even came close to what I wanted. So I set out on a mission to build exactly what I wanted...Here it is :

You have a winner there Drone On, SWEET landing pad.

Yep I believe thus far "Drone On" Has the best landing pad out of any I've seen! It may pose a bit of an issue if you were to want it to be lightweight & portable enough to fit in to the same case as your H along with everything else & still be under the 50lb weight limit of airlines, But I'd still be very happy if I had something similar to it!!

Not to be rude or anything but thus far every post that I've seen written by "Brian Mackey" seems to be negative or just not add anything to the conversation/thread that they are in, Instead of always saying that you don't like something why don't you write something in a Positive state of mind & let us all know something that you do like, because I'm sure that I'm not the only one on here that doesn't like to always hear or be around Negativity or Buzz kills!! For example, if I or someone proposed an Idea, instead of knit picking at every little thing you don't like, tell us something that you prefer more!! Sorry if that's not the case, it just has seemed to be the case on the threads I've seen you on, but that's only my personal observation that is based on the few threads I've been on, so again I'm sorry if I'm completely mistaken about you!!

Tom C, Thanks.
The legs fold underneath and the pad fold in half and it has a carry handle. It's 3'x3' when opened and 3' x 1 1/2 ' when folded. It's like carrying a large suit case or guitar case. It is portable but not airline potable. All my traveling is done with my camper and that's the majority of my Q500 flying when I'm camping. I fold it up and I lay it on the back seat of my truck or in a closet or on the bed in my camper.
When I designed it I wanted it to be portable and quick to set up. Taking it on an airplane didn't even cross my mind. My main design concern was realism. I wanted it look like a real helipad and to be lighted. It has a lighting controller so I can make the lights blink in different patterns But I have it where only the 4 red corner lights blink. That is the most realistic look. I had some video from the Q500 camera landing and taking off but I deleted them a while ago. I just got my H pro so I will be taking new video of it with my H pro on my next camping trip.
The pad is 100% realistic. From the air you can't tell the difference. If you didn't know when you watched the video you would think it was a video that someone took from inside a helicopter landing on a helipad. Here are a few pictures of the helipad at night and with the Q500 landing approach. Sorry that the pictures are blurry. These were taken at a campsite a couple of years ago with a cell phone camera and it was pitch black out and the camera couldn't focus. But you still get the effect.
The pad is 3' x 3' and it is not easy to land on. We all know about the ground effects from the props when landing and how they move around before they touch down. When I first started landing on it I had more than a few aborted landing where my Q500 drifted off to the side just before touching down. I had to throttle up and try a again. But knock on wood no crashes. Now it's just a test of your skills when trying to landing on it. Its fun..

Attachments

• 2015-05-28 21.09.43.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2015-05-28 21.09.55.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2015-05-28 21.07.57.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members