Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lens problem or my eyes?

Reaction score
Hi

I would appreciate some comments as to the quality of the video

I shot a few test videos and I think the footage is not clear and crisp at all.. Compared to some other footage I have seen here.
Besides my poor color grading skills, is the focus what one should expect from a CGO3+ camera?
This was shot in RAW 1980x1024 at 60fps

(Sorry I added saturation through Youtube to make it a bit better looking and so the original is now gone, but RAW video is a few posts down)

Another one with same settings

Appreciate your feedback

Last edited:
It's always hard to judge YouTube footage as it's been compressed and resized and messed around with before we get to see it.

A quick look doesn't seem to show any localised focus issues, so what I can say is that RAW footage is 'soft' out of the camera - it has had no sharpening applied to it. Have you tried applying an unsharp mask to it in your editor? It can also help to adjust the colour curves to make an image punchy. There are some good tutorials on YouTube for this. The second video you shared is a touch over exposed, which will make the edges on bright objects mushy.

It does look soft and unsharp to me. Did you manually adjust anything in the Camera before shooting?

Give more details so we can help you:

Resolution of Video when Shot?:

AUTO Settings:
W/B Setting:
ISO Setting:
Shutter Setting:
Video Mode: Raw, Natural, Gorgeous........

You had a good day for filming as it looked to be sunny. The Camera likes Sunny Days.

Thank you for your replies.

The first video i actually added a lot of sharpening to already, however as my Premiere Pro just crashed and decided to not start anymore I can't open the project file to see all the settings. I will try reinstall and see what they were.

For settings on camera I shoot RAW 1920x1024 60FPS, ISO 100, W/B Auto (or sunny can't remember)

I will try to redo the video once I have Premier installed again.

Here is the RAW video

Last edited:
I have redone the the first video and currently uploading it to Youtube again
Even around the 1.20min mark, being close to the buildings, they don't look sharp at all..

These are the settings in Adobe Premiere
1.JPG 2.JPG

Video being uploaded to

Last edited:
What lens are you using? Is it the stock lens that comes with the CGO3+? If so then,It was first pointed out by FPVguy com that when recording with the stock lens it does not show the best possible video that we can get from our cameras & so he suggested to buy a very similar lens for a fairly reasonable price (sorry I cannot remember exacts at the moment) & then after he put it on his camera & then recorded the same area once again but the footage was so much clearer you should really check it out, you'll either find it somewhere on his site or on his youtube channel. The footage he took when he had the stock lens still mounted on it shows him going fairly close to trees & the lens wasn't able to make out the definition of the leaves so instead they all looked like a whole bunch of green, IE no definition or detail that you could see, but then like I said the second lens the one he bought & installed showed all the leaves in definition & so you could see the differences between each leaf & branch. Your first video was a bit blurry or smoky/foggy looking but that is how the entire valley looked that you were recording in so I'm not sure if that was your camera or not. Ya you may want to review your cam settings cuz it looks like its set to much whiter than it should be.

It's stock lens and yes I have seen some comparisons on other lenses, but I don't think they made such a big difference on the sharpness..

Here's the first test I did in 4K with the camera

Actually here it looks pretty crisp so maybe the solution is to record in 4K and then scale it down to 1080?

Actually looking at this footage again, I think it looks much more blurry on the left side and also has a much bigger distortion on the horizon on the left side than right side.
(the dark band on the top footage in the beginning is due to a gradient filter I added)

That 3:14 Video you just posted does not look all that bad. Before I seen that video I was going to ask you if your lens was clean and the filter too. I use a Lens Pen Kit for DSLR (because if has a small micro cleaner) on my CGO3 camera. For a stock lens setup I don't think you can get much better than what you got here.

Yes the last video looks much better than the ones posted above.. and it was shot in 4K.. I will try shoot in 4K again and scale down to 1080 to see if there is a difference.
I do clean the lens from time to time.. will try again and reshoot.

Thanks!

That video looks better because when you scaled it to 1080p you did it at 25fps. Lower than your 4k original. That is okay. Just don't increase it. For example, don't shoot at 4k 30fps then render it at 1080p 60fps. The difference going from 30fps to 60fps will cause it to look out of focus.

All of these lenses by different manufacturers vary in the sharpness obtainable with that lens. However an additional
variable must be considered... and that is the skill of the person who installed that lens, including the quality controls
of where the cameras original manufacturing takes place. I have just received back two cameras, and will be posting
in the next day or two, the results of before with original lenses from Yuneec, and the results of the upgraded lenses.
These are just the static photos with the H sitting on a table in front of the sharpness targets, but the differences
are apparent.

In the next couple of days I will try to get both video and photos of the same sharpness target, with the H hovering
in front of an outside wall... (since none of us shoot from a table... that's what the Action Grip is for... and I'll be
testing that as well. :))

Last edited:
I have just received back two cameras, and will be posting
in the next day or two, the results of before with original lenses from Yuneec, and the results of the upgraded lenses.
These are just the static photos with the H sitting on a table in front of the sharpness targets, but the differences
are apparent.

Test results here:

Upgraded Lens Tests !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval