Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lens upgrade opinion

Reaction score
Hey flyers

Out of all the different upgraded lenses - which would you consider best.
Not interested in the 8.X mm from PEAU

TIA

Mickeyboo has posted some impressive photos with the 3.97 Peau

Reactions: Brent D
Peau 3.9 in that case. Lens determinations are made by what you want to do. A 35mm equivalent 20mm focal length is a good standard for generalized aerial work. However, one size does not do all things equally well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a second camera, one with original lens that is focused, and one that has the 8.25 peau that I installed and had peau refocus it for 40.00. Best of both worlds. Maybe I can make an adjustable zoom lens for the second???

I have the Peau 8.25 and fine it really looks good. In fact it is to my own critical eye, just as good at least in one shot (flying over snow tree forest) looks almost exactly like a virtually identical shot made from DJI X5 cam with stock 15mm lens. I have another CGO3+ cam with the stock lens, and I modded my foam case to accommodate that, so I can switch back and forth as the scene demands. Takes a brief moment to re-link, but not bad. The downside of the tighter lens is that it shows jiggles more .. smooth shots in wind/gusts much harder, but the details are really good, and it really is clean edge to edge, corner to corner. Oh, it's not so great with flares ... I'm one to appreciate nice lens flares and these ain't it ...

I wonder if stuffing ear plug foam into the anti vibration rubbers will make the gimbal better with the tighter lens?

I like mine as well, but haven't found a jiggle issue yet. More time will tell. I really like the better close up view more than the go pro wiiide angle. I have seperate case for mine, because i had the little 4k camera setup which i have now sold. Transmitter cases will work also.
Regards Dick

Yeah, I'll have to try that ... I flew in totally calm air today (for once) and was hoping that the jiggling I see was me asking too much of the system ... but it jiggles even in turtle mode on a totally still day.

That's the problem with longer focal lengths. The magnification is not limited to the image, but vibration as well.

Yep ... believe me I know that! There was one thing I read somewhere fairly recent about someone saying that they would crop into the 4K image to pull HD from it, and that was less jiggly than a tele lens on the gimbal ... er ... no, sorry .. the pixels are moving (rather the image details are moving across the sensor) ... and what you end up with is mush. So basically I need to work with this a bit ... so few decent flying days here it's hard to know what to do ... I like the lens, but it's making the gimbal weaknesses show too much. Tradeoff! Trying to show the level of jiggle with a short video, but it's not done processing .. here it is anyway ... it's the same 15 seconds, second time cropped in to 200% I need to go do something else, so if this doesn't stop processing by tomorrow I give up ...

This concerns me... greatly. I am on the cusp of getting 2 cameras upgraded, one with the Peau 8.25. (And "on the cusp"
meaning, I was going to ship them to Carolina Dronz today). Has anyone contacted Peau to ask if they had done any gimbal
mods/tweeks when they put up those several YouTube videos praising the quality of their lens on the Typhoon H platform?

I'm in a similar position having 3 cameras, one with the H lens, one on the way with the Pixaero 3.77, and one being considered for the Peau 8.25. If the still shot renderings are good it would still make sense having the Peau for some operations. OTOH, if the dampening fails to allow a crisp still shot there's no point in buying one.

I've submitted a inquiry with Peau via their online chat (which is just an email form... not much of a "chat" aspect there boys)
TS phone goes straight to a voicemail... not a promising start. Gonna have to piss off Frank and tell him I'm holding off
for a couple of days.

Also gonna start a conversation w/ Mickeyboo... he's got some time in with this lens and hopefully will be able to give us some
unbiased real-world info.

Last edited:
I've submitted a inquiry with Peau via their online chat (which is just an email form... not much of a "chat" aspect there boys)
TS phone goes straight to a voicemail... not a promising start. Gonna have to piss off Frank and tell him I'm holding off
for a couple of days.

Also gonna start a conversation w/ Mickeyboo... he's got some time in with this lens and hopefully will be able to give us some
unbiased real-world info.
I wait with interest your results. I wish to upgrade to the 8'25 lens as its zoom property seems ideal. On the Peau site the videos show no sign of any picture instability or shaking.

Not to hard to add a little stabilization in post. In a perfect world that would not be necessary.

Here is a jpg from a jpg taken with the 8.25 Peau lens yesterday. Sorry about the white balance. Uploaded full rez. Sunset yesterday (at about 1:30!)

Attachments

• YUN00004.jpg
    YUN00004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions