Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lens upgrade opinion

Are you aware that Yuneec anocced a new camera today at CES

Yeah I just saw that thread, but with no specs or pricing on the camera, and no video yet to compare the 2...
I'm going to take a wild guess at the camera being at least in the $1000 range. Also no info yet on whether
the current CGO3+ cameras can be upgraded with this lens... EFFFFFFFFFFFF

Pat since I'm having Frank do the install, would the gimbal balancing be something I would request from him?

Reactions: yuneec53
You can always ask... it's not something I am aware of him doing though. It's not something hard to do but is generally a bit tedious with trial and error adding small amounts of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suggestions on what to use for weight? bit heavier than a prop so I'm guessing electrical tape would not cut it...

did a YT search but nothing on small cams like the CGO... just full size DSLR gimbals

Last edited:
Principle is the same. RC hobby distributors sell stick on lead weight strips than can be cut and applied. People have used coins and all manner of things if the weight was right. Even stacked up electrical tape would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked over the initial PR info in the CES thread in the news sub-forum... looks promising but at least April release...

I'm sure collectively, we will come up with the best solutions... (look at what is being done with the H manual). Personally I will be
posting some photos of lens sharpness tests of the original lenses I am sending in vs. the new lenses when they return.

No, that's the Chilkat River near Haines, AK. I know both places, and see why you'd think that ... Turnagain Arm is much much wider though ... sure wish I had drones back then ...

Thanks for letting me know. ALL of Alaska that I've seen so far is beautiful.

Could be unbalanced props, I've never checked. Of course, I've also gone down that path and found it's not props but lousy gimbal (settings/calibration/isolation) ....

The mountain 30 miles distant is twitching .. that's no foreground item! But I know what you are saying.

The gimbal twitches with the props off and hand carry ... but it also works fairly well on top of car driving ... so I don't think it's props)

I was spoiled by the Inspire 1 (but hated the tilted horizons, crappy codec, and they don't fold)

Mizamook, one detail that I missed on first reading this post, (and going back to see the video artifact you are describing);
there is an additional factor that is part of what you are seeing. If in fact, the distance to those mountains is 30 miles,
at least some of the shaking you are seeing is atmospheric shimmer:

Atmospheric shimmer - Oxford Reference

The additional magnification of the longer focal length lens will also make this artifact more apparent.

Indeed!

Yes ... it is true that may be part of it, but having taken much video of the same mountains from the same (or very close to) that same spot, with tripod mounted cams at various focal lengths as well as with the Inspire 1, I will say I do know the difference ... and the giveaway in this case is that the foreground objects twitch at the same time as those in the distance.

Mizamook, one detail that I missed on first reading this post, (and going back to see the video artifact you are describing);
there is an additional factor that is part of what you are seeing. If in fact, the distance to those mountains is 30 miles,
at least some of the shaking you are seeing is atmospheric shimmer:

Atmospheric shimmer - Oxford Reference

The additional magnification of the longer focal length lens will also make this artifact more apparent.

I will trust your better judgement in this regard... aerial video is a new branch in my photographic career... **** I was hoping!
Any results on the earfoam? Would love to pass that suggestion on to Frank at Carolina Dronz, if it will help with my install.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the suggestion! IN fact, a really good thing to remember, especially since longer focal length will exacerbate the shimmer ... but I've been fighting vibrations like this since my first drone (A TurboAce Matrix with GyRox 5R gimbal flying RX100m2) and I had lots of interesting "learning experiences" ...

Anyway, I have not had a chance to test the earplug foam. I did jam it in there ... super high winds of late (they shut down the ferries, and the roads north are closed due to avalanche .. i'ts like crazy here now (which is great in the extreme weather lover's way)

Also I'm not sure I "did it right" ... I cut the plugs down to fit lengthwise, and jammed them in ... I can't tell how accurate the placement was ...

But I should be able to at least get up over the trees in the next couple days ...

I will trust your better judgement in this regard... aerial video is a new branch in my photographic career... **** I was hoping!
Any results on the earfoam? Would love to pass that suggestion on to Frank at Carolina Dronz, if it will help with my install.

I'm in Iceland for another week...I've posted a few things shot with Peau 8.2 and 3.9. I will be posting more when I get home. Yuneec used some video I shot here with Peau lenses in their CES both...I assure you they are worth the investment...I would not try installing them yourself, the design of the mounts has changed on all the Yuneec drones now which makes it much more difficult to do...someone talked about "they now glue the lenses" they glued the older ones too but the mounts (most of them were threaded) so they were easier to change it was not much of a problem removing the glue.
Let me put the lens quality this way...my work will be used by a very high end clothing manufacturer to promote their outdoor clothing which I shot a couple days ago.

I removed my 2 minute video on how to install lenses because it no longer works since the mounts are no longer threaded...the hair thin wires are prone to disconnect and are located close to where you need to work...big headache.

Reactions: Tuna
Just got back form the first flights with earplugs stuffed in. Still jiggles. But I forgot to do the gimbal cal (today), so maybe it's my fault. It was breezy, but not too bad, and the jiggles happen regardless.

Might be a CGO3+ for sale with a Peau 8.2mm lens for sale soon.

Does the Peau lens weigh the same as the stock lens? If it's heavier, maybe it needs a small counterbalance. Just grasping at straws but if the gimbal is working harder to keep the camera steady due to imbalance, perhaps that is a contributing factor?

Great suggestion ... I am not sure. I had it installed. But I just checked, and hand holding each gimbal (disconnected) and sussing out the balance, from what I'm seeing the stock lens is actually worse balanced than the Peau. I use duct seal (Monkey S***) to balance things as it's easily adjustable ... maybe I should try that for both.

However, I'm watching footage I shot today on my second flight ... I landed, then switched cams ... the stock cam is relatively rock solid. (Yes, I am compensating for focal length in my assessment)

I'm seeing more ripples on the water now, so there was wind ... but I see jiggles on the Peau lens even when letting it drift downwind.

Always open to suggestions. It's difficult due to the fact that my flying/shooting days are so few and far between!

Does the Peau lens weigh the same as the stock lens? If it's heavier, maybe it needs a small counterbalance. Just grasping at straws but if the gimbal is working harder to keep the camera steady due to imbalance, perhaps that is a contributing factor?

The stock lens does have a horizon issue when crabbing .. not as bad as, say, a DJI unit, but still there. Haven't noticed it as much with the Peau lens, but then, there's less horizon to gauge it from ...

I would try balancing both your props and the gimbal... it can only improve your results... certainly won't make things worse.

Yep... I use the DuBro and that works great...

This YouTube video demonstrates it pretty well...

All props are balanced ... now .... they were all unbalanced. Working on gimbal now. Will report tomorrow.

Not sure if this gimbal is POSSIBLE to balance ... roll is easy, but tilt is off ... it hangs level now if I leave it level, but no way to make it stay put if at 90 degree tilt ... wants to tilt back to 45 degree from either tilted up or down ..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis