Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. vidwiz

So I was on flight #122 for me and experienced a critically low battery warning much earlier than anticipated. (which is another subject) The copter being a ways a way I elected to land where it was and recover later. I was on top of a hill and the H was lower than myself. I found a nice grassy area to land and began my descent. It was painfully and annoyingly slow less than a foot per second. So while inching towards the ground I had my first crash when the battery gave out before it reached terra firma. Yuneec, there NEEDS, to be an option for this to prevent unneeded mishaps. I would have been fine but this limitation caused a crash.

2. NRRTRAINS

hi
    i don't fly an H but i thought that when the battery in the H gets low it will land it self and then the motors will turn off . how low did the battery go down to . did you have a sd card in your TX .

3. Steve Carr

Steve Carr Moderator
    Staff Member

The max descent rate is listed as 3m/sec or about 18'/sec. Since it was below the takeoff point I suppose it is possible that the descent rate was reduced by the flight controller because it was seeing a negative altitude.

4. OnTheRopes

It absolutely descend much slower as it approaches landing altitude and it continues to be slow into negative altitudes. I assume it thinks it is about to land

5. Goh

Goh

I experience once, while I was flying in the NFZ near the helicopter air base test flight for the new FW update at about 6m heights suddenly a apache was on top, and I know this is an offense I quickly descend full throttle but the H seems like not responding or descending very very very very slow

6. Dragonflyerthom

Thanks for the negative publicity, NOT.

7. vidwiz

I was seeing voltages around 9 volts before it gave out. No SD card in transmitter (?) Yes, it wrongly assumes the ground is closer than it is under such circumstances. Goh that's a great point, hard to get out of the way when the damn thing won't come down. I do a lot of top down stuff, you can see farther from a hilltop than a valley, please add option to GUI Yuneec!!!

8. PatR

What caused the crash was the operator failing to periodically review battery voltage and land the aircraft prior to reaching a critical voltage level. You caused the crash but prefer putting the blame on the manufacturer rather than accept responsibility for your failure to perform critical flight duties. If you observed voltages of 9 volts before the battery gave out there's a high probability you don't understand the minimum cell voltages of the batteries used in the H. You have a 4 cell battery with each cell having a lower voltage level of 3.2v. AT 9v you had to have almost destroyed the battery through deep discharge.

The telemetry still resides in the ST-16, you don't need to have an SD card present for the telemetry to be recorded. It will be interesting to see what Yuneec says if you download the telemetry and send it to them. If they see a 9v flight battery level along with the voltage at the start of the flight I have a hunch you won't do well with warranty work.

9. banned user

Is 9V even possible? I'm no expert on batteries, but from all I've read here I thought the H would drop from the sky at about 14V, maybe the op means 14.9V?

10. PatR

Without completely losing a cell 9v is not possible, and it would indeed fall like a rock. I'm trusting the OP proof reads before posting. With 122 flights it's quite possible batteries had been flown to absolute minimums for enough cycles to cause cells to self destruct. 14.9v would significantly alter my assessment of the incident. The OP has telemetry and should review it.

11. vidwiz

The software assumes the earth is a flat plane and that the takeoff point will also be the landing point both of which are flawed programming. This governed descent speed should only be invoked when using RTH and only when within a small perimeter of the takeoff point. This is a problem for flying below takeoff elevation and also rears its' ugly head when performing a descending follow me function. As pointed out by another poster there are also instances when you need to get out of the way quickly and have the need to override. There are additional reports elsewhere. I'm not the only one having problems with this.

My H was 300 feet lower than me when I got the low battery warning, it was quite shortly after the first warning (about 10 seconds) and after I had already began flying back to the takeoff point that the critical warning came up leaving me no choice but to land. Yes the battery was fully charged. Yes it was in rabbit mode. Had I tried to continue to climb the battery would have failed much earlier due to the higher load. The only reason it got down to 9.6 volts was it was hovering and slowly descending for about 90 seconds. I was honest with Yuneec about what happened and they were more than happy to ship me replacement parts. I know where to find the telemetry, I had to look up the final coordinates to find the craft. And I understand perfectly the preferred operating voltages, it's not as if I was oblivious and suddenly realized I needed to land.