Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Longer flight time?

It has been pretty well established that many will not read instructions or elect to learn much, if anything, related to systems and components used with a multirotor. From a maker's perspective there's cause to deliver something that makes it difficult for the users to burn their house down. If it causes a shorter battery life so much the better to sell more batteries. That's what the proprietary battery shell thing is all about anyway. Lock the users into a single battery source and bump up the price for higher profits.

I am currently waiting for the weather to get better so I can test a few new ones I got. They will give better than the stock ones, just not sure how much yet. A lot of factors can come into play though. If the H needs to keep adjusting for wind and stability. Is the GPS on. Am I running at a fast rate of speed. Outside temp. Am I climbing up and down a lot. There are so many things that can draw on the battery, so to try and find a medium to use as a bench mark is kinda tough.
I hope it is not a GEN battery. I bought two aon St Patrick's Day $54.99. Both of them were garbage. No power, 8 min flight time.I will now stick with Yuneec

It's my opinion that the factory battery discrepancy is deliberate on Yuneec's part. I think that the factory charger undercharges the battery in order to protect it from the average consumer that will keep their lipos fully charged, thus destroying them. Interesting solution as I'm sure they're aware of the futility of trying to educate the non-technical person on lipo battery considerations...
Thanx Mike, I think you are 100% correct! Can someone here recommend a charger for us who knows how to take care of the std H lipo battery.

It's my opinion that the factory battery discrepancy is deliberate on Yuneec's part. I think that the factory charger undercharges the battery in order to protect it from the average consumer that will keep their lipos fully charged, thus destroying them. Interesting solution as I'm sure they're aware of the futility of trying to educate the non-technical person on lipo battery considerations...
Hi, can you recommend a different charger than the std one I use for std H batteries?

There are many quality chargers out there. Those owning them will be able to describe how they work and why they like them. Personally, I use a Hitec X2 DC charger and have for the last several years. It can handle several battery chemistries from small to quite large in capacity. It offers charge, discharge, storage, and balancing capabilities. With some optional accessories battery data can be viewed and stored on a computer.

A word about chargers; you can buy good quality or buy at a cheap price. You cannot obtain both at the same time. A high quality charger with multi port ability is going to set you back $100.00+. Plan on spending at least that. The cheap chargers will not last, are often not accurate in how they function, and you end up buying them over and over again.

There are many quality chargers out there. Those owning them will be able to describe how they work and why they like them. Personally, I use a Hitec X2 DC charger and have for the last several years. It can handle several battery chemistries from small to quite large in capacity. It offers charge, discharge, storage, and balancing capabilities. With some optional accessories battery data can be viewed and stored on a computer.

A word about chargers; you can buy good quality or buy at a cheap price. You cannot obtain both at the same time. A high quality charger with multi port ability is going to set you back $100.00+. Plan on spending at least that. The cheap chargers will not last, are often not accurate in how they function, and you end up buying them over and over again.
PatR, thanx I will for sure follow your advices!

That's a bogus spec that creates unrealistic expectations. No drone gets the "rated" time as it's like MPG in a car and varies with driver and conditions. The H is solid safe for your first ten to 12 minutes but after that you need to be aware how fast you can go from ok to LVC warnings. Often times those warnings come when you "push" your flight towards the end like trying to full power up. This is common with all drones on their last 1/3rd of the battery cycle and where most flight failures and crashes happen. If you stop demanding full power, often times the warning backs off and you may even see your voltage go back up a bit if you just hover. My typical mission is first 5 mins getting set and moving towards my subject and recording. The next five minutes is the real meat time for all the maneuvers and height or fast passes while filming. The last five are back to slower flight or descent and getting back closer to myself to prepare for LVC warnings and landing. I finally over flew one of my OEM in a very ambitious flight up and over a mountain that exceeded my normal time and she was flashing hard during her landing and the battery was really hot and did puff up a bit. It's now a test or shot mission back up battery but it does have 100s of flights on it and has been working well for a year plus.

Learn it's "deficiencies" which according to this forum is battery time because this is what really happens despite the rosy spec pushed out by all drone manufacturers that is never correct. Spend less time trying to chase this dragon and just own decent confirmed working batteries for your H. Invest in a good balancing charger so you can discharge bad batteries or put good ones in storage and learn how to maintain them so you can get the maximum life from them.

One last thing often ignored in these "why won't it fly longer" threads is how much heat builds up during long flight at hi rev. Personally, I'm glad that it's shorter as here in the desert the H gets crazy hot during flight and that for sure can cause major problems once critical internal temperatures are exceeded.

Safe flying.
I'm getting about 12 min on a battery. From what you said if I back off the gas I would get better gas millage right?

I hope it is not a GEN battery. I bought two aon St Patrick's Day $54.99. Both of them were garbage. No power, 8 min flight time.I will now stick with Yuneec

Interesting. I also have two Gens/Tattu batteries and they both provide pretty much exactly the same flight time as the stock H batteries.

I'm getting about 12 min on a battery. From what you said if I back off the gas I would get better gas millage right?
Wigs! Do you only get 12min / battery? Are you racing all the time?

Hi, is there any "evidence" of a H oem battery that have juice enough for let's say 25 to 30min flight time with video running?

I use a 3d printed tray with 8000mh multistar
Battery. Flight time is up to 22min until the first warning appears. New battery after 3 loading circles. My yuneec batteries have a flight time
From about 15min until the first warning appears

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_105128.jpg
    IMG_20170404_105128.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170404_131748.jpg
    IMG_20170404_131748.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170405_144705.jpg
    IMG_20170405_144705.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 15

Members online