Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lost GPS fix while on the ground?

Reaction score
I did a outdoor compass calibration on my Typhoon G.

I was also noting how many satellites the Typhoon G and the ST10+ could see. Turns out about 15 for the Typhoon and 12 on the ST10+.

Anyway, as I finished the calibration routine and set the drone on the ground, I got a "Lost GPS fix" or something along those lines while I was waiting for the Typhoon G to finish it's thing. Is this normal?

After reading a few stories about flyways due to lost GPS lock, I am now just a little more than nervous.

Thanks for GPS signal validation. Was not sure if that was normal, above or below average.

Just in case, I think the first flight is going to be "Low and slow" with one eye on the transmitter screen.

The forecast is saying up 6" of snow, beginning late tonight and ending sometime tomorrow so maybe I will be postponing the first flight until the weekend.

Followup: I called Yuneec and asked about this and they had no definitive answer on this. The rep I spoke to said it was unusual but was not able to come up with a definitive suggestion on how to proceed.

I think I will be making my first fight as far away from people as possible.

And with an SD card in the SD10+....

Hi TheBeastUSA! I have a few flights under my belt and so far I have not experienced the "lost GPS lock" again. As a matter of fact I am now wondering if I was blocking the GPS antenna by way of how I was holding it. Since my first "rookie" session all has been good.

So I am going to chalk it up to me (unknowingly) blocking the GPS antenna.

And I always fly in angle mode anyway. The RTH function is something I don't want to rely on although I have enabled it a few times just to see how it works. My history (5+ years or so) of building my own quads from parts has never given me the opportunity to try a gps enabled bird. The "smart" mode is something I will try in the future for panning effects when shooting video and the RTH function is going to be used only in a WTF?!?!?! scenario.

The GPS lost message shows up when you loose two or more satellites. It doesn't matter how many you have to start with, so the warning is a more alarming than it needs to be in some situations. I was flying on a hill, with 20 sats on the H, 19 on the ST-16 and still got 'GPS Lost' messages if I stood over the H. It still had 18 sats, which is more than enough for a very precise fix, but the software is designed to warn you when it suddenly looses sats regardless.

So... nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Kevlec and Riktar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop