Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Marshland Morning & A Request For Image Posting Help

Reaction score
Here's a short video of the marshlands connected to the major local river in my area of lower coastal Delaware. A lot of folks may not see much beauty in a marsh, but when you're raised with saltwater in your veins like I was you grow up liking them, even their smell, and you find beauty in their misleading simplicity.

This was an early, 7 a.m. dawn flight in which I was testing out the results of ND filters, exposure settings and so on with the Typhoon. I shot this bright morning yesterday using an ND 32 filter, which slowed up my shutter speed sufficiently to capture the subtle cloud reflections and their colors in the waterways I wanted, even allowing me to do straight on sunrise shots without blasting out the image too badly.

I also set my white balance and EV camera settings trained on the water to make that the subject in the frame which the camera would then setup upon. I think it worked as the water does seem to "pop" through, at least to my eyes. But a lot of these determinations are very subjective, aren't they?

Anyway, here it is, via Dropbox. If someone has a moment, could you briefly explain to me if/why it may be better to post in Youtube instead of Dropbox? I frankly don't know how to have my images appear here - or anywhere, for that matter - without going through Dropbox and would appreciate a couple of quick pointers on posting vids if anyone is so inclined and has the time. Or perhaps you could lead me to a forum thread on this subject I may have overlooked.

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend.

Dropbox - Marshland Morning 1.MPG

I enjoyed the video! I fly in the marshlands around the SF Bay area, and they are magical.

Dropbox and YouTube convert your video to a streaming format that is balanced for quality and bandwidth to match their respective backend technologies and cost. YouTube is geared for video playback and have business models in place for it; for Dropbox this is a limited use feature as their business profits are mostly from users and businesses needing file storage and access. As such, my experience with your video suffered in two ways: 1) I needed to log into my Dropbox account to view your video. This is a major hurdle for casual viewers; I would expect the majority to stop at that point 2) The quality was actually quite poor initially with many video artifacts looking like 10 pixel rectangles floating for the first portion of the video. As I viewed longer the quality improved. This is a direct result of Dropbox technology for streaming your video. I would assume the video was translated on the fly from the raw video to the streaming playback as I was watching, rather then translating the video to a secondary streaming format as it was being uploaded - this would cost them twice as much for every movie uploaded with expectations of 2% being viewed online.

Reactions: CC Rider
Thank you so much for your comments. I really appreciate them. Yes, marshlands can be magical. The area in which I live is a coastal area, too, so marshes riddle the landscape. My older brother went to law school in SF and lived there for years before eventually moving home back East. I well remember your terrain out there. You have some wonderful places to fly through, that's for sure.

And I REALLY thank you for taking the time to analyze my video and point out the problems with it, as that's the ONLY way I'm going to learn. I had no idea Dropbox had the pitfalls you pointed out and so I have taken to heart all of your advice. Obviously I want the best final results I can obtain, and if I want to share the images I capture I want the process to go as easily as possible. Apparently I was standing in my own way here! The tips you have given me can only help me to correct this, and for that you have my gratitude.

Be safe flying and have a great time doing it. Again, thanks a lot for lending me a hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis