Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Maximum extension grid

Reaction score
Hello.

Wonder if somebody has calculated the maximum dimensions for a grid that a Typhoon H will handle with a battery.

Thank you.

I should think that would be difficult because the flight time varies with wind, temperature, altitude changes and speed. I suppose you could work it backwards based on a given flight time and average speed. For example an average speed of 15 mph would be .25 miles per minute. A 15 minute flight would cover 3.75 miles or 19,800 ft.

I should think that would be difficult because the flight time varies with wind, temperature, altitude changes and speed. I suppose you could work it backwards based on a given flight time and average speed. For example an average speed of 15 mph would be .25 miles per minute. A 15 minute flight would cover 3.75 miles or 19,800 ft.
It would be less than that, Steve, once you factor in the time spent doing turns and such like.

Edit. Argh, ignore me. I just noticed you said average speed...DOH!

It depends on what spatial resolution you want - ie. how far from the ground you are, and what overlap you want between passes. If you fly at 120m and with minimal overlap, you can keep a wide gap between each pass of the grid, so you can cover a much larger area. It also depends whether you want to do an after pass with oblique camera angles for 3D reconstruction, or plan to return to base at the end of the flight.

As it is, why restrict yourself to one battery? Unless you're trying to calculate 'area per battery used'?

Obviously if absolute area covered is your primary goal, a 'copter of any sort is not necessarily the best solution - fixed wing craft are better where you don't need manoeuvrability and the flexibility of a 360 degree gimbal.

Hey Tuna.

First of all thank you for your answer.
Yes , I want to calculate area per battery, the primary goal of this is using NDVI filters to estimate crop health. A fixed wing is not that reccomended since you will need to see in detail every leaf of the crop.
I need to cover around 600 hectares.

Thank you.

Back up a moment. If you need to see virtually every leaf in a field of 600 hectares, almost 1500 acres to us Yanks, the Typhoon H will not do the job because at present there is no camera for it with that kind of resolution. I suppose you are wanting to do IR inspection.??

You need to let us know what resolution you require. The figure is usually quoted as centimeters (or inches) per pixel - so one pixel of a photo will cover X centimeters of ground. You don't necessarily need to see individual leaves as you're measuring the health of the foliage in general.

Remember also that the higher resolution, the larger the data you generate, and the longer it takes to process. A three acre field can generate half a gig of data and take three hours to process, so you can work out that your target could fill a few drives up and take weeks to process.

I'd strongly recommend doing a test on a small plot 3-5 acres to get a feel for the numbers you're dealing with. If you need help i can talk to some colleagues who are doing agricultural surveys for farms in the UK.

Reactions: Robert Brooks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20