Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

More battery capacity - extended flight time?

Reaction score
IF you manage to add one more std battery to the "H", has someone calculated (guessed) how much flight time you'll add taking into consideration the increased weight of the battery. Will the props trust be enough to handle the modification?

The H can handle quite a bit of weight. There is a video Ming did last year of the H carrying 2 bottles of water below it. The problem become HEAT. Using a higher motor RPM to compensate for the weight is going to add more heat generation on the ESC, the motors and the battery. The battery will heat up faster and possibly more due to the higher amperage draw for a more continuous time. There are some guys that have use a third party battery tray along with bigger batteries and have gotten better flight times. A second battery, while doable, would not be advisable.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The H can handle quite a bit of weight. There is a video Ming did last year of the H carrying 2 bottles of water below it. The problem become HEAT. Using a higher motor RPM to compensate for the weight is going to add more heat generation on the ESC, the motors and the battery. The battery will heat up faster and possibly more due to the higher amperage draw for a more continuous time. There are some guys that have use a third party battery tray along with bigger batteries and have gotten better flight times. A second battery, while doable, would not be advisable.
Hi Bob, thanx, you are right and your answer was expected... What to do when I need/want a drone with 30 minutes effective flight time w/o paying a fortune? Buy a Tornado 920?

The "effective" flight time was a good call. With any of the consumer drones we should look at advertised flight times with a large grain of salt. They are always advertised as able to fly "Up To" X minutes. People see that number and assume it means it will always fly for X minutes when repeated history has established that advertised "Up To" time should be cut by at least 20% for all of them.

If you really just gotta have 30+ minutes of flight time consider something that has wings. Unless you are willing to spend a lot more than a grand.

Reactions: hiflyer1
That Spending is so true. WoW!! did I find that out on a number of builds. The size of the craft, battery size can lead to some long flights but the cost is not cheap.
Sounds like you've been there too! ha
Enjoy your post as well. Gud Luck and Safe Flying
hyflyer1/EdK/N0EK

I appreciate that some people would like extended flight times, and that's fair enough. For the sort of flying I do, though, the 16 to 18 minutes I get to first warning is plenty sufficient for me...indeed, more often than not I'm landed by 14 minutes and have usually obtained most of the important footage and photographs that I've set out to get after only using just one battery. A second battery is usually a 'tidying up' flight...although some commercial jobs can be a little more involved so I always take with me enough batteries that I think I will need +1.

What I'm saying is that, for me, I'd rather have two flights of 14 minutes each with a break in between rather than one of 28 minutes.

I appreciate that some people would like extended flight times, and that's fair enough. For the sort of flying I do, though, the 16 to 18 minutes I get to first warning is plenty sufficient for me...indeed, more often than not I'm landed by 14 minutes and have usually obtained most of the important footage and photographs that I've set out to get after only using just one battery. A second battery is usually a 'tidying up' flight...although some commercial jobs can be a little more involved so I always take with me enough batteries that I think I will need +1.

What I'm saying is that, for me, I'd rather have two flights of 14 minutes each with a break in between rather than one of 28 minutes.
FlushVision, I don't doubt you'll get 16 to 18 minutes,,,, I have three batteries charged about 4 times each and I never fly aggressivly. BUT more than 12-13 minutes before 1st warning has never happend to me! ... I use the std charger. What's wrong? Me or the "H"? I have the video recording all the time.

Probably nothing wrong. Conditions and how you fly dictate fight time if all else is equal. Just like gas mileage with a car, if you always drive uphill and with a heavy foot you'll get worse milage than someone that always drives gently over flat ground.

FlushVision, I don't doubt you'll get 16 to 18 minutes,,,, I have three batteries charged about 4 times each and I never fly aggressivly. BUT more than 12-13 minutes before 1st warning has never happend to me! ... I use the std charger. What's wrong? Me or the "H"? I have the video recording all the time.
As PatR says: probably nothing wrong.
I'm a very sedate flyer doing everything very gently, something I learned to do using a Phantom Vision with just a single axis gimbal. I also do most of my flying below 200 ft and often much lower to get the best shots.

I had two flights today at a site that contains the ruins of a mill. Both flights were 14 minutes long taking the batteries to 14.5v when touched down (bounced up to 15.0v after landing with motors off). One of the batteries was new and the first time used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22