Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My big scary H inadvertently scared some vandals away

Reaction score
You can see them doing something at the front of the building and then later when the shot pans back around you can see them running away across the vacant lot next door. I didn't notice them at the time that I was flying, but saw it later when I watched the footage.

Reactions: THoff and Rayray
I shot some footage in late 2015 using a phantom where it caught on film a couple of fly tippers dumping a van load of worn tyres at a local beauty spot. Like you, I had no idea they were there since these fly tippers were out of my sight: I could see the Phantom clearly but not the ground that the Phantom was looking at. It was only when I got home and started processing the footage that I saw them.
Pity it's Phantom footage otherwise I would have uploaded the video here

That's how this was. There was a line of trees between me and the fugitives. I could hear some banging sound, and I tried to figure out where it was coming from, but there was a train going by, a baseball park, a lumber yard and some industrial warehouse type places all operating nearby.

Things of interest don't care where they came from. Post it:)
OK, and if the moderators don't mind.
This is a rather long video taken from several hours worth of Phantom 2 footage shot during 2015. The bit that shows the fly tippers is from after time 2:35. I had no idea they were there at the time I was filming so they are only in shot for a few seconds.
Moderators...please feel free to delete this video if it's breaking any rules.

Please explain what "fly tipper" means.

The way I see it, anything that shows multirotors providing a public service is good PR regardless of what made the video.

Interesting video that in a way really benefits the H when comparing gimbals;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Texy
Please explain what "fly tipper" means.

The way I see it, anything that shows multirotors providing a public service is good PR regardless of what made the video.

Interesting video that in a way really benefits the H when comparing gimbals;)
In the U.K. a Fly Tipper refers to someone who illegally dumps or discards things that the local authority has to spend lots of money in an effort to clean up after them. Unfortunately it happens all too often and at places where you would normally describe as pristine...so that fly tipping spoils those areas.

To make that video I used two aircraft. A Phantom 2 Vision which only has a single axis gimbal (hence the reason why you were drawn to make a comment on the gimbal comparison) and a Phantom 2 Vision Plus.

Before the final render I put the footage through a program called: ProDrenalin to remove fisheye: the Phantom 2 Vision range suffers from very bad fisheye.

The original footage I shot for the fly tippers segment showed far more of them than what is seen in my above video so alot of what was captured in the original ended on the cutting room floor...otherwise the above video would have been far longer than the 10 minute vid shown. As a side note, the above video was one of the longest I've produced and I would not produce one so long these days.

Unfortunately we have a lot of "fly tippers" here as well. Many of them make runs to a county landfill at the wrong time of day and if the landfill is closed they dump their garbage on the highway. Others have stuff they have to pay to dispose of, like large electrical appliances, and rather than pay the fee just dump on the side of the road. It really ticks me off to see all the trash and other things on the side of a road that would otherwise be pleasing to the eye.

That's No. 10 on my list of things that will happen in your flying career.

Attachments

• The unexpected.txt
    1 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: dan met
Unfortunately we have a lot of "fly tippers" here as well. Many of them make runs to a county landfill at the wrong time of day and if the landfill is closed they dump their garbage on the highway. Others have stuff they have to pay to dispose of, like large electrical appliances, and rather than pay the fee just dump on the side of the road. It really ticks me off to see all the trash and other things on the side of a road that would otherwise be pleasing to the eye.
Unfortunately I have loads of footage that I've captured using my aircraft of garbage and stuff blighting the countryside. It's nigh on impossible to get footage these days without seeing some trash strewn around. The local authorities do a good job in cleaning it up but they are always a couple of steps behind. The above video, though, is the only instance where I caught the dumping in the act, so to speak.

I've seen that posted before. I've fallen foul of number 6 on more occasions than I'm willing to admit to. Once on a job for a farmer but luckily he'd left me alone to do the brief while he did other things. An extra flight battery was used that day:rolleyes:

Reactions: Steve Carr
Lol I guess 3 is one that probably happens to everyone.

I'm at 1, 3, and, loosely, 10. Some of those "achievements" are ones that I work extra hard not to hit.

Have had 1 (home), 3, 5 (prop guards, so nothing damaged).

2 - not likely - i drive a convertible, and if the weather is sufficiently nice to fly, the top is probably down. even if not, top is not stable enough for the startup...
4,6,9,10 - not yet...
7 - unlikely. no gorgeous blonde is gonna walk up to this ugly old fart.
8 - thats what realsense is for... (does not preclude forgetting to turn it on...)

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BengalFlight