Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My charger mod

Reaction score
I modified my Yuneec H charger so I could charge or store my battery.

I got this setup idea from someone else that wired it up this way
without taking the battery connector out of the charger and still
leave in functional.

My biggest hope was that it would charge faster than the stock charge
but it turned out to be about the same, maybe 15 minutes faster at best.

A depleted battery, (14.3v) take about an hour and a half to charge.

This lipo charger is 80 watt 6 amp but the most I
see this battery take
is 3.2 amps during charge.
2016-06-13 15.05.22.jpg 2016-06-13 15.05.32.jpg

Nice job. Looks really professional. Wish I had the ability to do this.

Can you solder? If not, it's not difficult to learn to do this mod; it can't be much simpler. The connectors inside the charger are already tinned and it's easy to do.

I modified my Yuneec H charger so I could charge or store my battery.

I got this setup idea from someone else that wired it up this way
without taking the battery connector out of the charger and still
leave in functional.

My biggest hope was that it would charge faster than the stock charge
but it turned out to be about the same, maybe 15 minutes faster at best.

A depleted battery, (14.3v) take about an hour and a half to charge.

This lipo charger is 80 watt 6 amp but the most I
see this battery take
is 3.2 amps during charge.

I have no problem charging at 1c. Have you tried higher than 3.2A?

I have no problem charging at 1c. Have you tried higher than 3.2A?

That is the problem, I have it set to 5 amp but the most the battery will take is 3.2 amp.
I don't understand why.
The lipo batteries from my rc cars charge at the full 5 amp.

That is the problem, I have it set to 5 amp but the most the battery will take is 3.2 amp.
I don't understand why.
The lipo batteries from my rc cars charge at the full 5 amp.

A great idea and solution to charging the H battery, its strange as you say it will only charging at 3.2 amps it should be able to charge safely at 1C rating 5.4amps so not sure what the problem is.

When I receive my Typhoon H I will also investigate charging with my own charger, I'm not surprised the charge time was not much quicker than the standard supplied charger, when it only charging at 3.2amps, could the problem be how its linked into to standard charger, have you got a picture of how its been connected inside which may help solve the mystery of low amps.

A great idea and solution to charging the H battery, its strange as you say it will only charging at 3.2 amps it should be able to charge safely at 1C rating 5.4amps so not sure what the problem is.

When I receive my Typhoon H I will also investigate charging with my own charger, I'm not surprised the charge time was not much quicker than the standard supplied charger, when it only charging at 3.2amps, could the problem be how its linked into to standard charger, have you got a picture of how its been connected inside which may help solve the mystery of low amps.

I just tapped onto the bottom battery connector and did not disconnect anything.
It's possible the charger circuity is causing the problem.

Thanks Jimmy for your reply, I see their is another thread on this forum relating to battery charging the H battery with a iCharger which is what I will also be using, and it states its charging at the 1c rate, so I assuming its charging at 5.4 amps without any problems.

Typhoon H Batteries

Can you solder? If not, it's not difficult to learn to do this mod; it can't be much simpler. The connectors inside the charger are already tinned and it's easy to do.

Yea, I'm pretty good at soldering. Can you show the insides where you made your connections?

Jimmy,
I was thinking of doing something similar, I like that you retain the drop in base. Do you think the Amperage rate you are missing is due to feeding some of the electronics in the Yuneec charging base?
I have not bought a better charger yet, waiting to see what pops up on the market. I could live with the Yuneec charger with the exception of:
1) No discharge to storage voltage.
2) No charge to storage voltage.
3) No voltage read out of the individual cells.
4) Kinda slow.

Jimmy,
I was thinking of doing something similar, I like that you retain the drop in base. Do you think the Amperage rate you are missing is due to feeding some of the electronics in the Yuneec charging base?
I have not bought a better charger yet, waiting to see what pops up on the market. I could live with the Yuneec charger with the exception of:
1) No discharge to storage voltage.
2) No charge to storage voltage.
3) No voltage read out of the individual cells.
4) Kinda slow.

Not sure what is causing the low amp charge but I suspect my lipo charger.

Will let you know as I am going over to the local hobby store and try out a beefier charger.

Just make sure the gnd wire on the balance lead is soldered to the gnd on the main power.

Just set the charge Power higher on the Charger, 5.4amps 1C should be no problem. But therefor your charger should have over 100watt.

Reactions: W.alter
Charged up my batts last night at 2c, sure beats 4 hours to charge up 2 batts on stock one.

Look forward to a parallel charge option.

Reactions: JohnL
Just set the charge Power higher on the Charger, 5.4amps 1C should be no problem. But therefor your charger should have over 100watt.

You guys must have some hi powered lipo chargers, mine is 50 watt 6 amp.
Even when I set it to 6 amp the most it will charge the H battery at is 3.2 amp.

Hi Jimmy.
Thanks for the instructions for the charger. I am trying to connect mine to my Graupner Polaron, but I am confused.
I think the colours are different on my flat white connector. I have (left to right) red yellow blue white black.
I think m ground lead is black. It used to be 50 years ago.
I've done it the same as in your photo, but my blue wire goes to ground. (end terminal) My blue wire is in the middle of the five wires at the white plug.
Is the black lead the ground wire ? Are my colours different to yours. ?

Hi Jimmy.
Thanks for the instructions for the charger. I am trying to connect mine to my Graupner Polaron, but I am confused.
I think the colours are different on my flat white connector. I have (left to right) red yellow blue white black.
I think m ground lead is black. It used to be 50 years ago.
I've done it the same as in your photo, but my blue wire goes to ground. (end terminal) My blue wire is in the middle of the five wires at the white plug.
Is the black lead the ground wire ? Are my colours different to yours. ?

Brian don't go by the colors, seems everyone has something different.
In my case orange, pin 1 is ground on my balance plug.
Start with pin 1 which is ground and go down the line.

Hope I did not confuse you more.

Battery Connector.jpg

Last edited:
You guys must have some hi powered lipo chargers, mine is 50 watt 6 amp.
Even when I set it to 6 amp the most it will charge the H battery at is 3.2 amp.
I'm using a 500w psu for a PC which allows me to charge up to 15A on a 4s battery. It's a cheaper and easy way to provide power to the charger.

Reactions: Robert McAfee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval